Metal Gear Solid V review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far I'm not sure, you have a base.

As you play you can "recruit" any enemy you come across , their particular stats then supplement the stats of your base.

You allocate staff to different units in the base

R&D : This lets you research new weapons and upgrades for Big Boss to use.
    Base Construction : Let's you build new areas for mother base and affects how quickly they build
    Intel : This gives you information about a particular area as you play or gives you weather updates, which also affect other things.
    Support : I'm not sure what this does yet.

Essentially it grants you new items and abilities to use during play, which presumably will unlock and become available as you slowly play. It also gives you a playground which you can run around and unwind.

I've been unwinding by punching my staff repeatedly, which they thank me for.

There are also a couple of other "units" which I've not unlocked yet, but they all have impact on various things as you complete missions.
    The game itself is really unlike any of the other Metal Gear Games (perhaps a bit like Peach Walker?) , however it is really good, it's actually far more of a game than any other game so far, given how many complaints people have over cutscenes and talking I can imagine people who previously hated MGS games actually really enjoying this.

It's very modern in it's structure, there are various aspects of the game that would really fit in in a F2P game : build timers, in game currency, consumable items and a very pick up and play bite sized missions structure. Free from the constraints of having to purchase anything to play, the game itself takes the best aspects of these modern evils and actually leaves a really addictive and enjoyable game.
    Last edited by EvilBoris; 31-08-2015, 16:20.

Comment

Boris, it's pretty much exactly the same as Peace Walker, just the levels are bigger.

Comment

Thanks for the info Adam. Doesn't sound like my thing tbh.

Comment

Yeah I did wonder. I only played a bit of Peace Walker when it came out in the HD collection I Found it quite hard to play because of it's janky portable origins. We tried in co-op but the net code was appalling too.

I'll have to have another go when it comes to BC
          Last edited by EvilBoris; 31-08-2015, 16:33.

Comment

I still stand by that it feels nothing like MGS in my 10 hours so far. Barely any story, and because of the dick about open world nature, and plotting or pacing that the others had is gone. Good game though.

Comment

This is all putting me off a bit!

Comment

I think it plays like MGS, but the lack of talking and cutscenes makes it feels uncharacteristically serious at times.

Comment

It sounds a lot like Metal Gear less Kojima.

Comment

This is a more fleshed out Peace Walker. With a deeper mother base system and ofcourse a grander scale. I put about 15 hours into this so far and you don't need to play this is you were in it for the story and atmosphere. Its barely there. The characters are pretty bad. Ocelot is nothing like his other versions, Troy Baker is phoning it in. Bad guys are severely disappointing as well.

You're basically doing missions that all end up being the same, extract this, blow up that. Escape. Some side ops will take you to the same location, where you have to do something slightly different. I think that fans of the original MGS with its empasis on cutscenes and ridiculousness will hate this game. This is nothing like it. MGS V could've been made by a western studio.

I like it a lot, and I enjoy the base building feature. I also liked that a lot in PW. You'll unlock better equipment this way.
                    Last edited by Panta Rhei; 31-08-2015, 21:24.

Comment

This sounds absolutely nothing like what I would have expected. Especially after getting Sutherland on board, risking fan wrath.

Comment

How the **** did this score universal 10s?

Comment

Originally posted by Panta Rhei View Post
                          This is a more fleshed out Peace Walker. With a deeper mother base system and ofcourse a grander scale. I put about 15 hours into this so far and you don't need to play this is you were in it for the story and atmosphere. Its barely there. The characters are pretty bad. Ocelot is nothing like his other versions, Troy Baker is phoning it in. Bad guys are severely disappointing as well.

You're basically doing missions that all end up being the same, extract this, blow up that. Escape. Some side ops will take you to the same location, where you have to do something slightly different. I think that fans of the original MGS with its empasis on cutscenes and ridiculousness will hate this game. This is nothing like it. MGS V could've been made by a western studio.

I like it a lot, and I enjoy the base building feature. I also liked that a lot in PW. You'll unlock better equipment this way.
                          How you describe it overall makes it seem pretty bland actually. The mission repeat and rinse thing seriously puts me off if true.

Comment

Sutherland barely speaks. Its just a name to sell the game with.

I expect a lot of MGS players to hate this game. Because all the things MGS fans love, ie. the overdramatic dialogue, the ridiculous cutscenes, the awesome boss fights, and the linear story... they're all gone.

I like it because I felt MGS4 jumped the shark when it came to storyline and actual gameplay. MGS V is pure gameplay and you can tackle most missions how you see fit. Its a very addicting game. But I wouldn't say this is better than MGS2 and 3, because those 2 defined this franchise for me as well. I greatly enjoyed revisiting those games in HD even though they're not on level in terms of gameplay. MGS V is in terms of gameplay the best MGS ever made and its the most ambitious too.

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            How the **** did this score universal 10s?
                            MGS4 scored universal 10's as well.

Make no mistake, MGS:V is really good. The graphics (huge scale, still awesome visuals and 60fps.. amazing) and audio are top notch, the gameplay is almost flawless (cover system could be more direct like TR or TLoU) and it'll take you easily 40 hours to beat. While there is some repetitiveness, this is also the case in games like The Witcher 3 and its understandable with games like that. MGS V is in in terms of scale in that ballpark actually. This has more gameplay than 1-4 combined. But yes, after some hours of playing I realized people out there are likely going to hate this and I would understand.
                            Last edited by Panta Rhei; 01-09-2015, 00:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Panta Rhei View Post
                              I expect a lot of MGS players to hate this game. Because all the things MGS fans love, ie. the overdramatic dialogue, the ridiculous cutscenes, the awesome boss fights, and the linear story... they're all gone.
                              Exactly why I'm going to love this game. Mine shipped this morning so I'm hoping it will arrive tonight!

Comment

Downloading on Steam now.

Comment

Working...
                                X