Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Gear Solid V review

Got this early from Simply Games.

Don't want to spoil a thing for anyone at all.

All I want to say is, the first hour. Wowiewowiewow. Incredible stuff.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

You're going to have to give us more than that to go on... How does it look, how does it feel? Is it as good as we've always hoped and dreamed?

Tell us you must!

Comment

Just don't want to spoil anything for anyone!

Graphics and gameplay are pretty much the same as Ground Zeroes- bar a menu change or two. I've played the first couple of missions and it all looks amazing.

So far though, it doesn't feel like MGS to me, it's slightly disappointing actually.

There's a lack of cutscenes, and most of the story is given through cassette recordings that you have to choose to play in game. Problem is that it's hard to hear them when you keep getting radio calls, and the game volume overrides it.

Although Peace Walker was good, I wasn't a fan of its set up. I'm not a fan of open worlds in general, but this game is pretty much a full blown sequel to Peace Walker, with the base building and side ops all working exactly the same. I wasn't a fan of the set up before as I prefer my MGS games to be like the ones of old- linear, with room to play, and the story crafted well with its peaks and troughs throughout the game. As this one is up to you, I don't see how that's going to happen.

Keifer is crap. Just saying. No Hayter makes me think I'm playing as a different character, and it sounds silly but it really does lose a lot for me because of it. Also, I don't like Troy Baker as Ocelot. He's in so much these days that you think "that's Troy Baker" rather than "That's Ocelot".

The story doesn't have as many cutscenes- barely any- and I loved the cutscenes, they're part of MGS to me. But I'm early days so we shall see how it goes.

The first hour is just... Woah. Gotta be one of the best first hours ever, and loads of nods to the wider MGS story as well as setting up lots of character plot threads. Can't wait for more people to see it.

Comment

I have it too. played the first hour and totally agree with MrKirov. its mental and really brilliant. That hour flies by and although its just a glorified intro, its classic Kojima. Mental bosses, crazy characters, awesome music.

I'm on the first act right now and they weren't kidding when they said it was open world. The ways you can handle every situation is amazing. loads of different routes, pick up cool treasures from empty houses, strangle people, snipe them, go in undetected, destroy comms, you name it, its all there.

there are no codec convos, but you can look at stuff through your binoculars and press R1 and and ocelot will tell you all about it. also, the way the story is told to you through tapes is really mint.

Definitely worthy of all the high praise its getting.

Comment

From what I'm hearing it sounds amazing how radically Kojima has turned his vision around. If, like me, you got really frustrated by the standard model of lengthy exposition intercut with short snippets of action, this sounds really refreshing. Can't wait. Curse you ShopTo and your 'still processing' notice.

Comment

I loved the long cutscenes and exposition though, it made MGS, well , MGS.
            I'm keeping an open mind though? The game is still great so waiting for it to suck me in

Comment

I have played through the first hour "intro" and now started the quest in earnest. My only question so far is what else happens when the servers are up. I haven't used any download codes yet either.

have just taken my fist actions and it was my choice, engage or just ignore the enemy which was good. I am very early in to it and will get some more time on Monday (away this weekend, bummer!).

Comment

Yeah the online isn't up so you can't retrieve your GZ data, or use the online DLC code- although the the DLC code for the single player content does work.

Comment

should have this tomorrow - think i'll give GZ a rattle again tonight

Comment

Yep, getting this tomorrow from Simply Games can't wait!

I'm going to play GZ in prepration, I need to free all the prisoners so they are in motherbase for Phantom Pain right? Do we know the perks they give in the base yet?

Thanks for the early impression guys, I have a question though. So apprantley there is a paywall in place in regards to the online mode, you have it too unlock it through coins or something? Have you come across any infomation relating to this to clarify in the single player or manual?

Cheers!

DA

Comment

^ From what I understand, the paywall (which Konami are 'neither confirming nor denying', which means it's basically true) affects only the FOB (Forward Operating Base) mode, wherein you can invade other player's bases and vice versa, robbing each other's loot and ruining their day, a bit like PVP in the Souls games. This is separate form the Metal Gear Online mode, which features the more straightforward team multiplayer modes. FOB online situation/paywall should be revealed when it goes live on the 1st September, I think. Metal Gear Online won't go live until mid-October.

Comment

I loved Peace Walker. Does this have a similar co-op option for it's missions?

Comment

i got this early too, not going to say anything of course except , every mission, has a pre credits roll and end credits roll. How many times do i need to read "created by hideo kojima" its bloody narcissistic
                          Last edited by Largo; 28-08-2015, 22:31.

Comment

Gets back at Konami for taking his name off the box. I find it hilarious whenever I see it!

Comment

Really interested to see what peeps think of it before I start myself as the reviews are all strong but questions have been raised about the conditions the reviews have been conducted under so there's a risk the game won't hold up to more intense scrutiny. It'd be awesome if Kojima nailed, MGS3 was the last one to hit a home run for me

Comment

Working...
                              X