Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears of War Ultimate Edition review

What's old is new...

So far I've played through the entire first chapter of campaign on hardcore and got stuck into multiplayer. It looks pretty and as next gen as you'd want. You can tell they've refine the entire thing from the ground up and it feels great on the Xbox one controller. I've gone back to the original running in backward compatibility for reference and it's day and night.

The only real negatives from the campaign are that the AI team are still thick. They'll get in the way more than assist you. Play co-op if you can.

As for multiplayer. First off dedicated servers for all modes. I'm getting 30ms ping and it feels great. It's running at 60fps and now has 8 way roll movement. That makes it feel really responsive. It all feels slick and plays as well as you remember.

Other additions from later games are that you can spot enemies by clicking the left stick and holding the left bumper toggles a HUD view showing you team and weapon spawn locations. Other than that it's business as usual. That is to say it's excellent, visceral and old school.

Every map is in so it's taking me a while to get re acquainted. They have also added team deathmatch and king of the hill modes for good measure. For the bargain entry price it's hard to fault. Plus of course you'll get all previous gears games via backward compatibility once they're added provided you play within the first month.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Thanks for the impressions/review. I looks like its worth getting for the price as it was an awesome game.

Comment

Cheers for the impressions.

I loved this back in the day and am this close to ordering a copy for the long weekend.

Comment

I love it, played it all those years ago, but it still feels fresh, and probally still has the best cover gameplay still, I think it's worth getting for the effort they have put into the remaster I really do.

Comment

Even custom private matches are hosted on dedicated servers...

Comment

Mine should be here tomorrow hopefully

Comment

This really has had the full makeover treatment.
              Think I will wait for the PC version though

Eurogamer version comparisons ten years on.
              Just how does one tackle remaking one of the most visually influential games of the last decade? It's a difficult quest…

Comment

Hmm, this doesn't seem 60fps to me.

Oh, its that annoying motion blur.
                Last edited by SUMIRE; 27-08-2015, 21:41.

Comment

It's 60fps only in multiplayer I believe; 30fps for the single player mode.

Comment

Picked this up from Asda for ?27.

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                      It's 60fps only in multiplayer I believe; 30fps for the single player mode.
                      Yeah, I just read this last night. I knew it was 30fps when I started playing coming from Borderlands 2 as it blurs when I move the camera on my tv.

Lol, its bull**** this current gen hardware cannot achieve 60fps.

Still a great game, but certainly not "ultimate"

Comment

Really enjoying this apart from Dom running in and getting himself killed over and over. Wish there was a hide option in the commands.

Comment

?27 for a 9yr old game that one can buy on 360 for a quid...and it's still 30fps??!

I came to the GOW party late and love them all but NEVER!!!! This is taking the Michael if you ask me....great game though it obviously still is.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            ?27 for a 9yr old game that one can buy on 360 for a quid...and it's still 30fps??!

I came to the GOW party late and love them all but NEVER!!!! This is taking the Michael if you ask me....great game though it obviously still is.
                            I just read this thread for the first time, and I'm a bit surprised to hear it's 30fps. The PC version of the original was 60fps for most PC owners, and wasn't that 7 years ago? I appreciate the visual enhancements, but unless it's totally comparable to a next-gen game (though it's murky what that even means when people are chucking around 30fps games still) I'd find that unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Same here mate. After reading that it's still 30fps in SP I'm glad I geld off buying this, especially as I still have all the 360 GOWs & some haven't even been played yet.
                              I agree that there's too many remakes being made of last gen games. Its time game developers stopped being lazy & made ORIGINAL, NEW GAMES!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X