No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've spent a bit of time with yesterday's pick-ups this afty. For a disc that's two generations old, Outrun 2 has aged really well. I'd forgotten how many features were in it too. Cracking game ... proper laid-back, feel good arcade goodness. Then me and the kids had a quick blast on Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns. I still prefer the more measured, popping off of shots in something like Ghost Squad and VC, but this is a really fun 10 minute blast ... and a nostalgic trip back to a legend of an arcade game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
      Well whenever people talk about their favourite snes games F-Zero rarely gets a mention and when snes racers get talked about its mostly Mario Kart that gets all of the attention.
      I think a lot of people here have mentioned SNES F-Zero quite a lot over the years. I know when talk turns to which F-Zero is the best, there are always people who feel the original is the finest. Of course, a lot of people prefer X or GX. Opinion varies wildly when it comes to the F-Zero series.

Glad to see im not tge only one who considers f-zero a masterpiece
      There are people who consider the original F-Zero to be too archaic, but for me it's still a game that delivers in all areas. I actually like the relatively simple graphics, as they have an abstract charm about them, and I like how vibrant and colourful they are. The music tracks are also brilliant and really memorable. The fact that it still plays really well, cements its status as a classic masterpiece. I know I will continue to go back to it for years to come.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      F-Zero is the original and best. It's the game that made me buy a SNES about 5 minutes after seeing it running in a shop window (and I was purely a Sega guy at the time).
      I had a Mega Drive at the time I first saw the Super Famicom running F-Zero. It really did look incredible back in 1991. F-Zero is the game that started my love affair with the Super Nintendo.

Comment

Bought the Sega Mega Drive collection on the PS4 today in the summer sale and just played through Streets of Rage 2 in one sitting. Its the first time I have beaten the game in years and I had forgotten most of it. Surprised with how random some of it was , one minute you’re fighting in the back of a lorry, next you're in some alien lair and then you’re fighting on a beach, with no story or anything to connect the levels in any way. Huge amount of fun though with an absolute killer soundtrack.

Comment

Huge amount of fun though with an absolute killer soundtrack.
          Yeah, it's still a brilliant game in all areas. It really stands up as one of the best retro games. I still love the graphics and music.

Comment

If you guys like SoR2 a would suggest watching the speed run from the last AGDQ. It’s played on Mania level and some of the skill on display is crazy!

Runner introduction starts at 00:23. Runs start at 1:12. This speedrun was recorded live at Summer Games Done Quick 2018, a weeklong charity speedrun maratho...

Comment

SoR 2 is just about the greatest thing ever. I'm going to brag for a second here, but when I was able to get down to Go Straight on the dance floor in Fabric when Yuzo Koshiro played, that was a beautiful, beautiful moment. And much more acceptable than just doing so alone in your living room to a YouTube upload of the soundtrack.

Comment

I had an Amiga fest today, playing all sorts of games such as Lotus 2, Speeball 2, Skweek etc...

One game that really blew me away was 'Snow Bros'. Ocean's studio in France did an amazing job porting the arcade game to the Amiga 500. The graphics look very much like the arcade version, it runs full screen PAL, has music and sound effects, and plays really well. So top quality in all areas. It really highlights how capable the Amiga 500 tech was in the right hands. It's such a shame that Ocean didn't release the game.

Comment

I'm still playing Amiga games. I booted up Battle Squadron. It still looks and sounds great. No wonder me and my mates loved it so much as kids - it really was like having a top quality arcade shooter in the home. Also, it's another game that takes full advantage of the hardware, with a full screen PAL image, music & sound effects, and great use of colour and effects. The developer made the hardware sing.

Comment

Beat Persona 1 PSP. Fun game overall but the last dungeon and especially the final boss are a real slog. I came extremely close to wiping out more than a few times as well so it was a bit tense.

Comment

Luigi’s Mansion! Love it so much

Comment

I shall be joining you with the Amiga love in soon Leon. My gaming room is currently inoperable. PS4 set up in dining room but the Amiga is too much faff. Will try out snow Bros soon as I get a chance.

Comment

Batsugun - this game is so good!

Fire Barrel - 3 loop 1cc done great game to unwind after work. Love the OST to this one too (especially stage 4).

Magical Drop 3 - the old man stage always gets me!

Metal Slug 1 - still the best. I wasn't playing seriously, just testing my new Neo19 screen cover.

Comment

Dimahoo and Dragon Blaze for me this afternoon. Only just discovered Dimahoo really enjoying it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              but the Amiga is too much faff. Will try out snow Bros soon as I get a chance.
                              Are you using WHDLoad? It's like playing a console game when loading it that way. I like it so much, that I went back to it today.

Originally posted by Zaki View Post

Fire Barrel - 3 loop 1cc done great game to unwind after work. Love the OST to this one too (especially stage 4).
                              Very much like a Raiden game, and a nice alternative.

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                              Dimahoo and Dragon Blaze for me this afternoon. Only just discovered Dimahoo really enjoying it!
                              Dimahoo is my fave of the two. A really nice shoot 'em up with impressive graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                                Luigi’s Mansion! Love it so much
                                I was surprised to find out the PAL version received a few tweaks over the NTSC one.

Comment

Working...
                                X