No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed Thunder Force III last night. I think it might just be my favourite Mega Drive game.

Comment

Bought a Super Game Boy for my Super Famicom at last, played random GB and GBC games on it.

I don't think Super Mario Land has aged well at all. I never had problems with the calculator-level graphics back in the olden days, but it seem really jarring now.

Kirby's Dream Land has that "early instalment weirdness" factor – auto-scrolling shoot 'em up sections, no enemy power absorption, some annoying trial and error bits. Nice to see the origins of the pink blob though.

Balloon Kids, that deserved a sequel. Sequels.

Comment

Playing Ibara on PS2, forgot how good this game is.... really digging it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
          Completed Thunder Force III last night. I think it might just be my favourite Mega Drive game.
          Loved that game! TF2 has a special place in my heart, as I got it with GnG (my fave game ever) when I imported a Megadrive back in the day. TF3 was the better game and one of the few shooters that I managed to master.

Loved the TF3 music too!

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
            Loved that game! TF2 has a special place in my heart, as I got it with GnG (my fave game ever) when I imported a Megadrive back in the day. TF3 was the better game and one of the few shooters that I managed to master.

Loved the TF3 music too!
            The music is astonishingly good. I prefer the game to the sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Caprica View Post
              Playing Ibara on PS2, forgot how good this game is.... really digging it.
              Loved the Arrange mode on the PS2 ver

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                Yoshi's Island - timeless.
                Ended up on Resi 4 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Loved the Arrange mode on the PS2 ver
                  Absolutely, even though the port itself is “ok”, the arrange mode is excellent.

Comment

I've gone back to the first GBA Advance Wars. I never quite finished it when it came out.

Comment

Sexy Parodius ... this awesome silliness has been dominating Saturn time all week

Comment

I've been playing Soul Fighter on the Dreamcast and while it's not brilliant its nowhere near as bad as some make out, it also looks stunning imo with lush very detail and beatuiful texture mapping

Comment

Still Shenmue 2 on the DC, on disc 3 currently in Kowloon.

In many ways it's a better game than the first, and in others I feel it isn't. It achieves what I feel was Suzuki's aim - to create a realistic video game kung fu saga - better than the slower paced first title, which only really kicks off with some action towards the very end. But I feel it's over ambitious, with too much packed in. Shenmue 1 is very bounded and while it can feel limiting, the story and the characters that are there are become, if not exactly well developed, familiar and well integrated to the story's twists and turns.

In Shenmue 2, you jump from place to place quite quickly. Not long after Ryo becomes friends with Wong, he's bidding him an emotional farewell, and it rings a bit hollow. Likewise with female martial arts monk Lishao Tao.

It also feels a bit repetitive, and it would have been nicer to see some greater variety in the jobs and mini games available. It's unfortunate that the ones in Kowloon are identical to those in Hong Kong proper.

That said, it's still an incredible achievement for the time. It looks and feels solid and realistic, and it's got atmosphere in spades. Still thoroughly enjoying it, even though I think they tried to do a bit too much with this one.

Comment

Near the end of Advance Wars and I feel like the difficulty has spiked. I've pushed the ai back to their main base but their hunkered in and proving quite difficult to finish off. It doesn't help that I got sloppy with the naval combat giving them control of the sea.

I think I'm going to have to try and brute force it with overwhelming firepower. I have access to more funds and land unit bases so it should be possible.
                            Last edited by Cepp; 25-02-2018, 20:19.

Comment

Worked my way through HOTD overkill and 4 on ps3, havent played them in a while. Been good fun, overkill is surely one of the better on-rails shooters....

Comment

Been on the DC and loving Incoming... such a fun game to play, that looks great, sounds fab and is just pick up and play at its best.
                                I've also forgot how amazing and great the 10 Year Championship mode in Sega Rally II really is, just a shame the game was rushed out to early.

Comment

Working...
                                X