(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
    Just realised it was released 19 years ago!

I feel so old...
    Ridiculous, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
      Flippin’ loved Power Stone. Really surprised me as a new concept for fighting games. Amazing that (to my knowledge) there’s been nothing much like it since.
      I always thought Kung Fu Choas to be the better game myself. I was just playing my DC last night, after the football. Got the light gun out and played HOTD II. I not only forgot just how cool and brilliant the official DC light gun game was, I forgot just how deep and advanced HOTD II is for a Gun game (with some many pathways ect)

Brilliant game and still looks amazing to this day, the music score is fab and something else too.

Comment

Going through the original xbox catalog of games i don't own or never played elsewhere, starting with Advent Rising which is quite good. I thought it was some rubbish 3rd person halo so never played it but is quite ambitious with massive sprawling levels, decent weapons and melee(only once you grind some levels in dodge and melee so i can warp around punching suckers) and some very fun psychic abilities all which come with way to level up each of them up. The story of aliens coming to wreck up a Human planet(not earth) is enjoyable though i wasn't a big fan of the main guy at the start of game as he's to much of an asshole but does go all doomguy later on when everything and everyone blows up or dies, the set pieces are something that wouldn't be out of place something like uncharted which made level set pieces its thing and so far the levels have pretty varied (i'm up to the attack on last badguy stronghold on the alien planet you escape to).

Not a game without it's problems, the framerate struggles with the amount of enemies it throws on the screen against the massive levels, and it's also quite easy to get lost in them as it was before a time of objective markers being a common thing (not even a map to go by). Definitely going to play through to the end.

Comment

Spent today completely hammering my famicom mini in a marathon play session, i decided to upgrade the games library some more since i haven't done that from back when hackchi was first released, i stuck on the rockman games and then left it at that. Now that the retroarch core is available i decided to reflash it to the latest version so i could add the games that didn't originally have mapper support, now have gimmick working along with all the ganbare goemon games which i'm really happy about.

Spent all day playing a mix of various games...

Ganbare goemon gaiden
          Gimmick
          Abarenbou tengu (very odd side scrolling shooter where you play as a tengu head)
          Hottaman no Chitei Tanken (digging game a bit like boulderdash but with a ton of items and enemies, pretty fun so far)

my fave hidden discovery of the day is Kiteretsu Daihyakka, a very surreal looking but really cool platformer based on one of fujiko f fujio's manga creations. It uses a gravity flipping mechanic to allow you to platform in various ways through the levels along with collecting gold to pay for creating new gadgets each time you find one of the invention encyclopedia blocks. If you complete the minigame it creates a useful gadget looking similar to the stuff seen in doraemon, loving the games artstyle.

seems there is a lot of famicom stuff hidden out there that i have no idea about, it's been fun finding some of it.

Comment

Think I'm near the end of Persona, beat the main villain but typically it looks like there was someone else pulling the strings behind the scenes. My vita died just after the boss battle so I'll need to re-do that before I find out more.

Comment

Bought Puzzle Bobble for the Super Famicom at last. It’s Puzzle Bobble! And that’s all I can describe it as.

Comment

Playing Operation Logic Bomb on the SNES Mini. Love how this game feels, it lets you lock position with the L & R triggers, too.

Only really dipped into it loads in the past but only for like ten mins or so at the time, gonna just play til my credits run out.

Also been playing that War Of The Gems game (like!) and The Addams Family. But the latter only like for two mins. Reminded me why I never owned it back in the day, ever in fact.

Comment

I got the HD I cable for the OG XBox and Holly Cow, the games look amazing and it works like a charm. Beeing playing loads of Sega GT 2002 online and also loving Outrun 2006 and even a bit of the overlooked gem that is Spike out

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    I got the HD I cable for the OG XBox and Holly Cow, the games look amazing and it works like a charm. Beeing playing loads of Sega GT 2002 online and also loving Outrun 2006 and even a bit of the overlooked gem that is Spike out
                    Any links for this, as am getting back into X-box in a big way

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      Playing Operation Logic Bomb on the SNES Mini. Love how this game feels, it lets you lock position with the L & R triggers, too.
                      I remember liking how Logic Bomb looked, but soon found the game feels frustrating and quite boring. I think the developer should have made it more straightforward like an Alien Syndrome sort of arcade experience. The graphics and sound are really good, so it's a shame it's frustrating to play through.

Does it look better than just using Component? If the image is sharper - I will definitely buy one. It's a great option for people with a TV that doesn't have Component inputs.

I remember buying Spikeout really cheap in a sale back in the day and liking how it offered simple arcade thrills in the home. It's like something you'd get on the Dreamcast and journos would moan "it doesn't offer enough depth" missing the whole point that arcade games offer quite simple but fun action that keeps you coming back for more.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-07-2018, 11:41.

Comment

How many of you guys and gals have bought one of these Pandora's box arcade stick things? The latest android one looks very good.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                          Any links for this, as am getting back into X-box in a big way
                          https://www.amazon.com/HD-Link-Cable...+original+xbox

It works a treat

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Does it look better than just using Component? If the image is sharper - I will definitely buy one. It's a great option for people with a TV that doesn't have Component inputs.

I remember buying Spikeout really cheap in a sale back in the day and liking how it offered simple arcade thrills in the home. It's like something you'd get on the Dreamcast and journos would moan "it doesn't offer enough depth" missing the whole point that arcade games offer quite simple but fun action that keeps you coming back for more.
                            Yeah, it looks slightly better not by much though, I just got one so I could hook it up to my TV directly, rather than use the D-Ter on my Framemeister.

Spikeout is bloody ace fun, I miss the days of playing online in co-op with some amazingly sillked Japanese players but its still great fun with some brilliant music, ace sound effects and some great widescreen use. Its just a shame the visuals and textures mapping looks so basic and also like placeholders.

Comment

Yeah, it looks slightly better not by much though, I just got one so I could hook it up to my TV directly, rather than use the D-Ter on my Framemeister.
                              A bit better is good enough for me. Xbox games can still look really nice.

Its just a shame the visuals and textures mapping looks so basic and also like placeholders.
                              Looks quite like a Model 3 or Dreamcast sort of game. I guess that's because the arcade version was released in 1998 and the developer just wanted to upgrade it a bit for the Xbox.

Comment

I’ve mainly been on the PC Engine this past week or so... Soldier Blade, Final Soldier and Detana!! Twinbee It’s not quite as good as the Super Famicom game, but it’s still a fantastic, beautifully drawn cute ‘em up. I had a good go on the HuCard incarnation of Air Zonk earlier, because who doesn’t love some good old Japanese whackiness...

Comment

Working...
                                X