Blackadder V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackadder V

Not expecting anything to come of this as it seems to get mentioned every blue moon but apparently Tony Robinson has said that a new series of Blackadder is on the cards.

Deeply love the show but my gut says the ship has sailed.

You should never go back

Comment

I think a contemporary Blackadder perhaps set in the world of politics would have potential.

Comment

Ooooooooh....I used to be quite the fan....but 26 years on? Would the anarchy be there??? I hope they go for it, even if it's cack...I'm not one of those who talks about tarnished legacies n' stuff. The originals still exist. Something to...maybe look forward to...just to see???

Comment

It's been too long, man. All the actors are older and will have less energy. Laurie may be able to recapture the youthful verve, and Fry will still boom out his lines, but I can't see people like Tim McInnerny or Ade Edmondson being arsed about coming back. Edmondson wouldn't even do another series of Bottom with Rik Mayall, whose cameo will be much-missed.

Also, who will write it? Curtis and Elton lost their edge years ago. Even the Millennium effort was a bit rubbish. It was only ten years after Forth, but the actors were slower, the script duller, and the pacing poor. Most fans of Only Fools agree that bringing it back 7/8 years later was a bad idea. The chemistry was gone; Jason in particular was doddery and out of character, a pale shadow of the classic traits of Del. Cast members had died and others were off the pace. The scripts were weaker and the production less streamlined. I'd have loved more Blackadder in the early 90s, but I fear too many pairs of slippers are too worn, old or chucked out, to be slipped into effortlessly and comfortably after this length of time :-(
          Last edited by prinnysquad; 23-08-2015, 19:51.

Comment

^I agree with all those sentiments. But if it's gonna come out, it's gonna come out anyway....

So regardless of what we all deep-down believe...we're just gonna have to see if it's a TOTAL trainwreck or something maybe a tad interesting.

Comment

That's probably my main concern, that Elton and Curtis don't have the humour in them anymore. The millennium special was a bit painful to watch. No worries about Robinson and Atkinson in the roles but as a kid I remember feeling a bit sour about them reusing Blackadder II jokes and storylines in Goes Forth. It ended perfectly at the time.

Comment

As much as I think the fourth series is excellent, after multiple viewings I did feel that the humour relied too much on analogies, similes and metaphors.

Comment

It might be good!

Comment

The best series are clearly the second and third, the latter being my favourite, primarily because Hugh Laurie is on absolutely top-notch comedic form, he steals the series, he's just ace in it. The first was a bit meh, the fourth went a bit sentimental and 'issuey'. The special was cool and I never bothered with that millennium one because I knew it'd be underwhelming.

Stephen Fry is a bloated, sad old windbag now, I've gone right off him. Atkinson is a cold, aloof, mysterious presence best known for being Johnny English is kiddie movies. Mayall is sadly dead. McInnerny? Probably just an older version of McInnerny (he was always reliable, mind). Tony Robinson was never funny, anyway, and looks really old and miserable and presents boring excavation shows I turn off at the soonest opportunity. Laurie is...Hollywood...and possibly too cool n' loaded to be funny now.

In all honesty, IF this does come out, me and our kid are likely gonna blaze up a twif and sit cringing at it, dissing how inadequate it is. But even that...even that will be fun. I'm expecting the worst, anyway.

I'm more curious to see what happens, tbh. I'm like that.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that Hugh Laurie's performance in Third is an absolute powerhouse. It holds the whole show together. Laurie injected such energy into his role in this series, and as Bertie Wooster in the Jeeves adaptations. I've got a huge soft spot for III simply because of Laurie's performance, and to a lesser extent Robbie Coltrane's Dr Johnson. Although, I do think that II had the best gags.

The Hobbit films, though it was a lightweight role, convinced me that Fry can still do comedy well with decent material. His Melchetts are excellent and any future Blackadder role must surely place him as an authority figure. I think Miranda Richardson could still put in a decent turn, too.

Comment

If I could pick my Top Ten performances in movies/TV then he'd be up there with Martin Landau in 'Ed Wood'. He's remarkable in it, pure, exuberant comedy acting. Absolutely amazing. In all honesty, the Blackadders have ALL dated and aren't as funny as they were but I always laugh watching him in 3, he's just incredible...career best performance!!!! Timeless buffoonery!!!!!!

Comment

And yeah...Dr Johnson...lol

"Sausage?...SAUSAGE???!!!"

Comment

Wow, I thought I was the only one that truly loved Hugh Laurie as Prince George. Still really love the third series too- "... and good evening, Colin" is one of the best lines of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              I think a contemporary Blackadder perhaps set in the world of politics would have potential.
                              "Yes, Blackadder"

Comment

Working...
                              X