Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta review

I've been eager to try out the beta for this as I've been in a bit of a Call of Duty decline for a bit now due to the low quality of Ghosts and not really getting hooked by Advanced Warfare long term. Treyarch's return has kept me watching as overall I find their handling of the franchise to be the best but with the future setting still in use and Battlefront out at a similar time the beta seemed a good way to see which title would likely see more play.

The set up is pretty much the same as previous titles. Treyarch seems to have stuck more closely to the older entries simpler menu system and perks etc seem to be the same set up albeit with most locked currently. There are 4 of 9 classes to choose from and 3 maps on rotation. The first map I played is set in a futuristic small enclosure and is most reminiscent of AW so I wasn't too into it, it's fine enough using the old three route oval design rather than the 500 doorways approach the last few titles had but it's very forgettable. The second is on a raised, run down set of buildings where people seem to have been sleeping rough. It's much more focused on the mantling aspects as you can wall run and boost jump to get in and out of each floor etc. It sounds like AWs maps but is the right size to not feel like you're constantly getting shot in the back after respawning. The final map is in a scenic resort and for me is the best one, lots of thought through routes and spots, the right size, options for approaches and even underwater combat.

The game has all the boosting etc aspects of AW but they feel more understated, most of the time it's standard fps gameplay. The game is still on the old engine but there's enough polish that it doesn't feel too old and it's very smooth running.

The impression I get is it has a good chance of being a good entry even if it continues the trajectory the franchise is on of moving it away from the better suited gameplay of CoD4. There's a few days left but unless something flags up it seems a safe buy. Though I'm not sure yet if it's one worth waiting for post Xmas as Battlefront will still feel like a fresher experience.

I am downloading it, which is taking AGES!

Anyway, will give it a blast tonight when I get home. So watch out for my usual Lag comments!

Interestingly i read an ofcom report yesterday about broadband in the EU and some countries it is so slow compared to UK. Gave me some insight into why Italian and Spanish players might beat me, they have such awful ping rates.

Comment

Apparently the beta has been having download issues with its servers. I read a tip that said if you go into your notifications to the download note and press X to pause and then resume it a couple of times you can eventually cycle it onto a faster server. Mine got to 4hrs remaining and after trying the trick it settled into 40 minutes

Comment

is this peer to peer or actual servers this time, after the complete ****fest that was AW lag infested matches i swore i would not pick up another one until they do.

Comment

Apparently it's dedicated servers but there's definitely some lag at times

Comment

I havent played a CoD since Blops1 which I really enjoyed so I've had half an eye on this. Looked at some vids of the beta, though, and while it's smooth-looking and the levels seem well designed and quite imaginative, the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink confection of sci-fi tech and super-powers just looks messy.
            Last edited by Golgo; 21-08-2015, 07:59.

Comment

So got a couple of hours on this yesterday.

My observations

1. Graphically it is much cleaner than the last 2 COD outings. It looks sharp and colourful, not washed out like COD Ghosts
              2.Sounds are ok, better footsteps and surrounding noise this time around. Gun sounds are what they are, and given the guns are not space age, just beef up versions of old favs (IMHO) they sound fine to me.
              3. Gameplay is what you expect, twitch responses needed at times especially against higher ranked players. There is nothing really new here, but I didn't expect much to be honest. I am not a fan of the jumping stuff so prevalent in shooters these days. I played team death match and it does what it says on the tin.
              4. Upgrades etc. Again a plethora of upgrades and attachments and no doubt we will all find our favourites time. I think these days there almost too many mix and match scenarios and like other recent COD's it will be a case of experimenting to find the set up that suits your gameplay.
              5. Lag. Yes there is some and it was nearly always against those guys with the crap connections. But mainly it played fine.

Overall so far I would say it is OK and nothing more. Having played every COD it offers nothing new, steals a few things (running on walls and high jumps). The maps are a good size (not too big and sprawling) which is good. I think maybe the time has come to go back to the simpler game of MW1 and re-do it for PS4/One. The simplicity if MW1 was its hook for most; great maps, no silly emblems and badges that serve no purpose. But, hey I can dream.

For COD haters, you will still hate. For COD fans, it will be a bit meh, but we knew that anyway..!

Comment

That's it, it's looking solid and like the best one for anyone with a CoD hankering to try out given the decline likely next year.

Comment

Extra map in the beta today, a snow themed cliff top home level. Closer to the type of map that was in Black Ops 2, pretty standard but seems fairly well balanced. I'm enjoying this now I'm settling in but it still annoys that the series has leant so far to arcade shooting than more tactical approaches.

Comment

And now it has opened up to all PS4 players it is a lagfest..... Shot dead before you see them on screen. Now haven't written something like this before....;-)

will continue to try it out

BELOW IS NICKED FROM GAMEFAQS

Hey guys, thanks again for continuing to post!

I don't quite have an update at the moment for many of the bugs listed at the moment, but rest assure that many bugs are being reported, even to the point where an entire shift in a day is submitting 100's of bugs each day!

It's getting crazy that, personally, my shift has gone from 40 hours a week to 54 in a week! @_@ It's nuts but it's work that needs to be done so this game can be bug free as possible

I really would like to test connectivity issues with people, but unfortunately, when testing online, it's done in an office. Thus, it's close proximity testing :/ There are also many factors that can contribute to lag, such as people's routers, bandwidth, and possibly issues with PS4's. Now don't quote me on anything, those are just my thoughts and possible factors.

As with freezing, there are lots of times there have been isolated freezing during testing that happens, and those are the hardest bugs to figure out: ones that are isolated and don't exactly have a reliable way to find out what causes the freeze/crashing.

But that's the fun of the beta!
                    ---
                    Disclaimer: My posts do not necessarily represent the views of Activision Blizzard and posted based on my own opinion.
                    Last edited by jim g; 22-08-2015, 09:22.

Comment

I've preordered for Xone via GAME just for a bash on this as we haven't had a beta since WaW, which I think was a pretty bad attitude from the COD franchise.
                      From some vids that I've seen on YT (jiveturkey & joelsomethingorother) its laggy in places, altho the maps look somewhat interesting but not big enough imo.
                      Weapons seem to have kept to old style but the wallrunning looks a bit out of place & not so fluid looking as Titanfalls. Wallrunning also looks slow - like the player has gum holding them to the wall & as if gravity isn't pulling them down as they run. I could be wrong as I haven't skated with it yet . The boost jumping doesn't look so bad & looks more fluid than AW style.
                      In the end to me it looks like a better AW (altho I do have a bit of fun on AW & I only paid ?10 for it anyway). Both games don't look like COD & to me look more like an updated Quake Arena style of game

Comment

Where can I find this 'now open to all' MP beta on PSN shop, then? Wan't to give it a try for meself.

Comment

Had a play earlier this morning ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bM0Lyz3SI ) typical CoD, so I doubt it's going to change anyone's opinion of the series. It didn't seem too laggy to me, but it was quite early in the day.

Comment

Less laggy later today played not too bad. Nothing new to see , it is just the latest iteration with new maps and better graphics. it does what is says on the tin. It has now become the marmite of gaming!

Comment

Sounds exactly like the last outing to me, which = no purchase.

The series needs a year off and a proper reboot. The only thing remotely interesting in this is the cooperative campaign.

Comment

Working...
                              X