Everyone's Gone to the Rapture(PS4) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone's Gone to the Rapture(PS4) review

This is currently on sale for PS+ members at ?12.79.
    So it's the 1980's in a Shropshire village and not a living soul can be found.Houses are abandoned,pubs with drinks and lit cigarettes still smoking and yet nobody is about.
    The graphics do a rather sterling job of portraying the 1980's as Ford transit,land rovers,Austin Montego's and other vehicles from this decade scatter the village.The detail of houses,churches and local pubs are excellent.The haunting music is very atmospheric.
    Only the left/right stick and X button is used as you walk around the village trying to piece together what really happened to the villagers.
    As you walk around,streams of light swirl around in certain areas and with the tilt of the DS4 unveils the conversations of the locals prior to the mysterious disappearances.Also scattered around are radios which broadcast various messages.
    All in all,I'm enjoying the exploration and enjoying the graphic detail of this time period for me is memorable.
    The walking pace might not suit everyone's taste.If your looking for a nostalgic trip of detective work to find out what really happened here,welcome to the 80's

****update R2 button does indeed make you run****
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Originally posted by BIG EDD
    walk around the village trying to piece together what really happened to the villagers.
    After reading the game title I reckon I already know what happened to the villagers

Comment

Detailed Eurogamer review went up yesterday, and is a good read. Shame doesn't look like it's coming to PC anytime soon due to the part Sony funding.

One of the most dexterous words in English literature is things. Being flexible and useful is the entire point of a wor…

Comment

I really like the look of this.

It's a different pace to a lot of games and mooching around abandoned places is something that fascinates me. Having a mystery to solve makes it even more interesting.

Does it get boring after a while? That's my main worry.

Comment

I was reading a lot of hype for this and was beginning to get quite interested, but the AV Club review here brought me right back down to earth. I particularly appreciated them drawing some parallels to Gone Home, since it's probably one of the more popular titles looking to tell a story this way, and one of the few I've played through. I'd still like to give this a try but I'm not in quite such a rush now, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I really like the look of this.

It's a different pace to a lot of games and mooching around abandoned places is something that fascinates me. Having a mystery to solve makes it even more interesting.

Does it get boring after a while? That's my main worry.
            I've put about 2-3 hours in and have just opened up my third section of the village.Still loving the atmosphere and the graphics are really well done.The music really draws you in.
            I'm not bored of it yet but people's tastes are different

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              After reading the game title I reckon I already know what happened to the villagers
              Yeah.

***Spoiler alert***

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                I was reading a lot of hype for this and was beginning to get quite interested, but the AV Club review here brought me right back down to earth. I particularly appreciated them drawing some parallels to Gone Home, since it's probably one of the more popular titles looking to tell a story this way, and one of the few I've played through. I'd still like to give this a try but I'm not in quite such a rush now, at least.
                It'll probably be a PS+ title in a few months.

Comment

Started this last night. I'm enjoying it so far but not quite as much as Dear Esther, something about the execution doesn't click as much. Love the setting and the visual imagery is lovely but the actual graphics quality on objects etc isn't as good as I expected. A lot of my final opinion will fall on how the narrative ends I imagine

Comment

Finished now and generally it's a nice enough example of the game type. Takes a decent amount of time to see everywhere and you'd need to be thorough to get all the trophies. The setting is the star as the central story you're following is too obvious from the beginning, there's one or two moments that strike you nicely but it's a somewhat flat tale and Dear Esther played out much better. Nice but not essential release looking back on it

Comment

Do you think having never played Dear Esther (or knowing anything about it!) would leave a better impression of EGttR?

Comment

Possibly, it's very much like most games of this type in that there's little to no gameplay beyond walking so it's on the setting, atmosphere and story to win you over. For me it's just the story that didn't quite hit the mark. It's a nicely made title but it feels like anyone on the fence might be better served waiting for it to hit a PSN sale given its length too

Comment

Working...
                        X