Galak-Z The Dimensional [PS4] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galak-Z The Dimensional [PS4] review

So, it's a rogue-like asteroids semi-clone, with an 80s Macross/Robotech feel to it split into 5 "seasons" which consist of 5 sectors each having a randomly generated design. Die and you have to go back to the first sector of that season.

As you play through the sectors you accumulate upgrades for your ship and collect partial or complete blueprints for other parts. The upgrades are lost when you die, but the parts unlocked form blueprints will be available for sale from then on.

What can your ship do? Well the one function shown in the trailer was the "juke" move, where your swing your ship up out of the screen to dodge shots/missiles/enemies, which become very useful against the stronger Imperial "Hammerhead" ships that you begin to encounter. My favourite so far is the heat resistance upgrade, so then you can hide in lava and use it to attack your enemies. VERY useful against the extremely tough Sentinals.

I finally managed to clear the first season after about 3 hours of play (and streaming on Twitch if anyone was watching), and the sector 5 boss was stupid hard, but not impossible. Just remember you can use the boost with reverse thrusters while blasting at it. It sounds much easier when I say it though!

Enjoyed the first few hours of play but need a break for a little as it got quite intense!

10 minutes of play, possible spoilers:
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Is there any info about whether this will be coming to PC?

Comment

It is coming to PC, I know the devs cancelled the vita version or put it on hold.
      PC version is next in like, maybe Sony had an exclusivity deal?

Comment

Enjoying this, but I'm really rubbish at it! Keep on dying on 1-2 and then need to redo the season again.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
          It is coming to PC, I know the devs cancelled the vita version or put it on hold.
          PC version is next in like, maybe Sony had an exclusivity deal?
          No vita version?

Comment

reminds me of gravity force for the amiga

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
              Enjoying this, but I'm really rubbish at it! Keep on dying on 1-2 and then need to redo the season again.
              Remember to make use of environmental hazards as well, like the spores that disable shields and the spike-flower.

Comment

Really enjoying this, managed to finish season 1 on my first go, with the the only real trouble coming early on when getting use to the controls on 1-2, lost 3 units of HP which i brought back via the shop over the next levels, other than that once you get the dodge and drift it really easy mess up the badguys in season 1. Though i would say i probably lucked out in 1-5 getting bounce, pellets and fire core on to my 3 way shot making the screen packed with death which made short work of the boss (though i reckon i could have had him without that, turbo on drift when he comes at you and dodging the blades worked well)

The way the enemies behave really reminds of Halo 1, just how they team up, fight other groups and use the environment, along with using the environment against them to, and you can even sneak MGS style around them with those neat sound mechanics.

I would say the only let down is the **** flash art used on the characters.. they look so out of place with the rest of the well crafted game, and boy those explosions look like they came right out Macross, and the trappings around the edges like the VHS filters and the animated logos in the credits are really nice. Would have liked them to have use pixel art instead.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  No vita version?
                  Game is just too much for vita.

Vita faithful: heart-breaking technical limitations force us to put #galakz Vita on ice. Can’t compromise beautiful & responsive gameplay.

we spared no expense or creativity in trying to figure it out.. unity on vita along w/ our intense physics & AI make it a no go

Comment

I really can't imagine trying to play it on a vita. Sine Mora was tiny enough to be annoying at times.

Comment

Running in to a few annoyances now, mainly the UI getting in the way when fight gets hectic and the frame-rate hiccups with the increased amount of enemies you fight is more and more noticeable and happened 2 of the 3 times i've fought the 2-5 boss. Would also like to see some stats like deaths and kills.

Comment

Made it on season3 on the 5th attempt at s2, 2 boss deaths and 2 ****ups in 2-4/5's to normal enemies and then 1 go at through season3 to make it to season4 which apart from increase enemy HP and aggression, feels i'm playing the same levels over and over, going into the same planet, ship or wreck over and over with the only surprise being the mecha. I don't think the death progression lends itself to this game type due to the length of play it feels significantly more annoying to die in this game than something quick like spelunky to point where i just turned it off after each one of my deaths during season2 and didn't come back to until the evening after, i suppose does make it tense when your down to 1 chunk of HP.

The indie'ness of the game does start to creep through the longer i play, as they're clearly stretching limited assets repeating them over and over, and using the random terrain generation and enemy A.I. to mix things up the best they can and for the most part it works, but the edges are rough with technical issues with the frame-rate when the action heats up, and i can't stand the **** flash art used for the characters and the launch bay take of just rubs me the wrong way.. where is the landing gear or a some sort of space catapult.

Comment

Working...
                        X