Rare Replay Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Replay Review

My copy turned up today which was a nice surprise (thank you gameseek!)

Just so you know, most games will be installed individually, but the whole collection doesn't take too long tbh.

So far I've only had a butchers at a couple of titles that I wanted to check out 1st, which were Banjo 1 & 2, & the insanely mental & much loved by me & my bro Blast Corps.
    These games play exactly as back in the 'good old days' ( ). Controls work fine, music is great & takes me back to some grrrrrrreat memories on my N64. Graphically they're not impressive tbh & are maybe a slight improvement over the originals but haven't been remade or HD'd.

Don't remember the Dumper Truck levels giving me this much gip on the N64 tho!!

Will post more thoughts as I go.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Oh, I had forgotten about this coming so soon. Hopefully it get mine today

Comment

I was plowing my way through this, this evening and I must say, I don't remember Killer Instinct Gold looking so pixelated back on the N64... Replaying these titles really do take me back. I like how it is all presented nicely in a theatrical way, really adds to the nostalgic feel of it all.

I would have continued playing had I not tried playing Perfect Dark. I was expecting the n64 version, but only the 360 version was available, and this version moves WAY too quick! Resulting in a sudden on set of motion sickness; it wiped me out for the evening... That'll teach me to dip my toe back in the FPS realm, where I know I'm in for a world of motion sickness torture!

Really enjoying it so far. There is so much to see and do here, it really is a bargain for such a wealth of content! Even if you only want to play a game or two, you can't go wrong with this title. A quick google search brought up an article that suggested the potential for more games becoming available through DLC, which will add even more content to the title...

My game took a little longer to install, but that was due to a system update I need to do as I had not switched the console on for around 6 months...

Comment

I'm pretty sure they didn't alter the movement speed in perfect dark, probably just feeling the frame rate being 3/4x higher than it was on the n64.
        I guess there may have been the PAL/NTSC speed difference between the two , but I'd have thought by that point n64 pal games were pretty well optimised

Comment

God. I don't even want an Xbox One. But what a compilation. Sheeeit, can't justify it, this is bloody tormenting!!!!

Comment

I've been playing Jet Pac (speccy), but there is some serious flicker on parts of the graphics within the emulated area. Is anyone else seeing this? I never had a spectrum - is this an issue or just how it's meant to be?

Comment

That's how it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                I've been playing Jet Pac (speccy), but there is some serious flicker on parts of the graphics within the emulated area. Is anyone else seeing this? I never had a spectrum - is this an issue or just how it's meant to be?
                I'm also gutted as above as have a PS4 and would give blood to paly this collection.

I used to have have Jet Pac on the ZX Spectrum but was 7 years old so memory a little hazy. I vaguely remember lots of straight lines this could have been the flicker you mention.
                Last edited by JU!; 03-08-2015, 06:10.

Comment

The flickers seem to be elsewhere on the screen than my lasers. Like the spaceship itself flickers.

Anyway, spent far too long playing Jet Pac this evening. Look. 12:20 Should have been in bed 2 hrs ago. Snapshots are really cool - little challenges e.g. escape the planet within 60 seconds, or wraparound the screen 5 times without dying, although one of them has the leaderboards the wrong way around And the milestones are fairly well thought out - e.g. kill 1500 baddies over time or total 250k points. There are also snapshot playlists that mixes them up from different games - imagine that will be tough to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                    I guess there may have been the PAL/NTSC speed difference between the two , but I'd have thought by that point n64 pal games were pretty well optimised
                    There's not a lot in it. Mainly a bump in resolution for the PAL version, which led to text block alterations to make things more legible to fit on the screen a bit better. Saying that the "hi-res" mode on the NTSC version was noticeably more hi-res, at least horizontally.

Speed? No difference. It was optimised around PAL.

Comment

I remember every spectrum game flickering as in entire sprites momentarily disappearing. Vic-20 jetpac was the best version.

Comment

So they have not HDd stuff like Conkers or JFG?

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
                          So they have not HDd stuff like Conkers or JFG?
                          They are all running at higher resolution, but the 2D assets remaining the same. Just like running the game in an emulator.

Comment

So so close

I've spent well over an hour trying to get first - certainly getting value for money out of this one

Comment

There is unfeasible amount of value on this disc. Which game is that Marty?

I'm finding RC Pro Am really hard. What's the best tactic for getting around without bouncing off the edges?

Comment

Working...
                              X