What do you expect from Nintendo NX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you expect from Nintendo NX?

Given all the recent discussion about the Nintendo NX, one thing that has become clear is that people's expectations of it vary a great deal.

With the recent news of production apparently getting in gear, I thought it might be fun for us to do a thread where we each post just what we expect the NX to be, what form it'll take, and the kind of titles we expect to see on it. That way we can look back on this in 2016 and reflect on likely how wrong we all were

So, what are you expecting from the Nintendo NX? What form do you expect the hardware to take? And what titles do you expect at launch, and major hitters during the console's lifespan? What else do you think we'll see?

Probably best to try and keep answers terse (rather than writing pages), and considering the relative lack of info we've received so far, I don't think we can rule out much, so no-one can really be "wrong".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you expecting from the Nintendo NX? What form do you expect the hardware to take?

Personally, I'm expecting NX to be a new console platform that merges handheld and home consoles into a single package. Either it's a home console and a handheld that can run the same software, or, more likely, it's a handheld with a docking station, or something along the lines of the PSVita TV mini-console. Due to this, I'm expecting it to be a lower hardware spec than the PS4; somewhere between the WiiU and the PS4 in raw power. The increases in spec will be mainly focused on those things which make life easier for developers, such as increased memory. The machine will feature day-one support for engines such as Unity and Unreal.

What titles do you expect at launch, and major hitters during the console's lifespan?

I expect the machine will maintain hardware parity with the WiiU (allowing Nintendo to port WiiU, Wii and GameCube titles with relative ease), though I don't think WiiU/Wii games will run on it natively. I think it'll launch with ports of WiiU Zelda, some of the WiiU's major games like SSB, as well as an HD version of Super Mario Galaxy 1&2. I think it'll be home to a renewed, expanded Virtual Console, managed with MiiVerse communities and something resembling achievements. I expect an early major game to be a AAA Metroid title, based on the reaction to the 3DS spinoff (which will either be the start of a new Metroid series, or the last ever game if it doesn't sell extremely well).

What else do you think we'll see?

Under the lead of their new CEO, I think Nintendo will aggressively pursue 3rd party small developers, with easy access to dev-kits, preferential treatment and a philosophically more inclusive approach. This will include things like announcing their games with firm release dates earlier in advance, so 3rd parties don't have the usual worry of going up against Zelda. I think the console will ultimately echo the Nintendo of the Gamecube/GBA era, with a "gamer-first" approach, abandoning the "family console" approach of the Wii/WiiU. Basically, I think those machines went "wider" and I think the NX will be "deeper", in that it'll really try to pull in the Nintendo core audience and get them to spend - it's attach rate, not console sales that will be their game. This is mainly because they were forced to go that way with the 3DS, and it's been moderately successful.

Devils Third 2

Comment

There's been a lot of speculation about NX being a handheld/home console hybrid but if that was the case, what format would the games be delivered on? Packing all of that data into a proprietary cartridge that you can pop into a handheld sounds expensive. If it's digital-only, I wouldn't buy one.

Comment

What are you expecting from the Nintendo NX? What form do you expect the hardware to take?

I think the NX will be a home console aimed at returning to a low cost rrp model to attract buyers. I expect it to be more powerful than a WiiU but less so than an Xbox One, it'll also have some gimmick to the hardware or controls again as I expect they'll have looked at the errors of the WiiU to try an emulate the success of Wii without considering that the Wii itself was likely a fluke. I don't expect handheld crossover to be much of a factor in its set up as it's been repeatedly proven that console/handheld connectivity is a dead duck and Nintendo will likely not want to risk sinking the handheld boat through association should NX fail. Maybe it will leave out backwards compatibility as well allowing Nintendo to release the U's key games as more profitable remasters. So, not too powerful console aimed at <$200.

What titles do you expect at launch, and major hitters during the console's lifespan?

An enhanced port of ZeldaU at launch for definite, possibly another big franchise such as Animal Crossing NX. Through its lifespan the usual suspects such as Donkey Kong Country 6, Mario Kart 9, Mario Party 11, Super Smash Bros 5. Possibly, possibly a new outsourced F-Zero title as they've been pestered about it so much. Nothing from stuff like Starfox (as I think Zero will resink the series). Possibly a Metroid of a Prime style leaning by the NX's end (not early on though) and at least one new Mario of the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy style.

I think they'll make a big noise about gaining third party support again but once again, bar some year one ports, they'll fail and Nintendo will be in the same boat all over again. Amiibo will be a big factor on release, possibly with a new version of the figures which holds more data for use on NX. I expect they'll finally launch a Nintendo wide account system but users will still find it clunky and at times non-user friendly. DLC for first and second party games will explode and be a major driving force for Nintendo from here on. Thanks to a more aggressive marketing push, the NX will ultimately outsell the WiiU but still won't be a big hit.

It'll also repeat history and end up being called something less catchy than NX.

Comment

I don't think it will be a hybrid. Sony went the console experience on handheld route twice and Nintendo slaughtered them both times by nit doing that. On handhelds Nintendo have had massive success every single time. I think we'll get a.regular console but with vr capabilities as an option.

Comment

I expect it to be a console powerhouse that wows people with amazing graphics so that everyone jumps ship and gets one. It will be easy to develop on and have 3rd party support thrown at it by Nintendo.

hmmm. maybe not.

Comment

I've stopped caring, or at least speculating, so will wait to see it at E3.

Vive le Wii U!

Comment

This is why people end up dissappointed, too much speculation over every detail it just sucks the fun out of everything, pointless trying to guess what Nintendo will do as they never fully reveal their plans. Easier just to wait until it comes out, you'll either like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  What I wish it to be is at least on par with XBO and PS4. And have a wired network port.
                  What it will be, it'll be backward compatible with Wii and WiiU, including accessories; the hardware will be more powerful but most probably less powerful than XBO and PS4, and as a result development paths won't be as close as the other two consoles, shying away 3rd parties.
                  I expect that Nintendo will continue the WiiPad route rather than going back to standard controllers. What I wish is DS and 3DS "side-compatibility", maybe with a cart slot built in directly into the hardware and not as an external add-on (a la GBA Player on the GC), but no hybrid, it will cannibalise 3DS sales.

It must launch with a proper Nintendo title, and I hope it will be a Mario game. And then continue with Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, and so forth. No remakes please.

Initial, very timid support and then 3rd parties will go toward greener pastures, especially if development is drastically different than the other two platforms.
                  And Etrian Odyssey on it, please.

Comment

Nothing. I honestly expect nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                      Nothing. I honestly expect nothing.
                      The easiest way to avoid dissappointment

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        The easiest way to avoid dissappointment
                        That's exactly it. I feel burned by the Wii U and 3DS. Just ignore the NX and see what happens.

Comment

Another lame duck console that will suffer from all the issues and problems of the Wii U other than with the pad

Comment

I can't see it being a hybrid design that people are speculating . I don't care about online capability , Netflix , YouTube , social media bells and whistles . A back to basics console that actually has software great support

Comment

I think it will be good. As long as it isn't an amiibo justifier with games as an afterthought, I'll get one.

I think you'd have to be mad to be an early adopter. Wait and see for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X