The Last of Us: Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    To be honest, controls wise, LOU isn't bad but it's nothing special either. Pretty much any major third person game features equal to superior controls, it's a very typical Uncharted model that's been stripped down due to the more limited setting where advanced moves aren't necessary. Story wise, that's an awkward one, there aren't many but much of that is because it's somewhat subjective and the bar is so low. Even LOU having the best story wouldn't mean it was a good one. LOU is just an incredibly generic zombie tale told via ND's usual deft which is better than most other game studios manage. If the film adaptation ever gets off the ground I imagine they'll soon find their noses out of joint on that one.

It is a solid enough game, if too much of a slow pac-man design at times, I certainly wish I liked it more than I did and will hopefully attempt a fourth playthrough sometime this year so its fresh in my mind for the sequel, but I expect ND to really take strong steps forward with the gameplay in the next one.
    So have you tried to play it four times or have you already completed it 3 times already?
    If it's the former why bother as a fourth attempt is unlikely to change your mind. If it's the latter it seems you're playing something you're not keen on quite a lot :P

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      MGSV destroys it for tight controls. So do the Souls games.
      I agree with MGSV (although I don't think it's a better game) I disagree with soulds (and again I don't think they're better games. I do like them, though).

Comment

Completed three times, to be honest I couldn't tell you why I feel compelled to keep trying the game but it probably has much to do with how highly I viewed ND's games pre-LOU/UC4 making me hope I'll someday see them in a better light.

Comment

Completed three times, to be honest I couldn't tell you why I feel compelled to keep trying the game but it probably has much to do with how highly I viewed ND's games pre-LOU/UC4 making me hope I'll someday see them in a better light.
          I'd argue it's because it's a far better game than you're actually giving it credit for :P
          Either that or you've plenty of spare time to waste on middling games. I wish I did

Comment

I fail to see where a lot of the actual gameplay is in TLOU. What is there is fairly basic and repetitive, I feel the GOTY/GOTG stuff is a little overboard because of the story, and it being the right time for zombies when the concept was at its peak.

It’s certainly a good game, one that I rebought and replayed on PS4, but the gameplay is so simple, there’s not actually a lot there I feel- it’s kind of like the walking simulator taken to the next level. Again, nothing wrong with that- but I don’t see why it gets labelled the way it does.

It’s not unenjoyable, but I’m with SF on this one.
            Last edited by MrKirov; 26-02-2018, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
              I'd argue it's because it's a far better game than you're actually giving it credit for :P
              Either that or you've plenty of spare time to waste on middling games. I wish I did
              I used to, oh man did I used to

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                I fail to see where a lot of the actual gameplay is in TLOU. What is there is fairly basic and repetitive, I feel the GOTY/GOTG stuff is a little overboard because of the story, and it being the right time for zombies when the concept was at its peak.

It’s certainly a good game, one that I rebought and replayed on PS4, but the gameplay is so simple, there’s not actually a lot there I feel- it’s kind of like the walking simulator taken to the next level. Again, nothing wrong with that- but I don’t see why it gets labelled the way it does.

It’s not unenjoyable, but I’m with SF on this one.
                Gameplay involves moving floats for a girl that can’t swim, moving ladders for a girl that can’t lift, moving boxes for a girl that’s too short, stealthing around areas like a tortoise with your invisible friends, shooting/stabbing people in the face OH and crafting!

Think I have covered the amazing gameplay of TLOU, 10/10 game of the generation.

Comment

Bit reductive?

Comment

Forgot the walking sim bits, then the descriptions spot on

Comment

Forgot the walking sim bits, then the descriptions spot on
                      Maybe it’s my olde age but those walking sim sections where some of the best bits for me, Ellie speaking to Joel about an ice cream van is a small moment that stuck in my mind, chat between the characters feels very natural and kudos to the cast as it’s all acted out really well. Other than that, for me, gameplay sections let it down as they were just badly done stop gaps between an otherwise decent story, told really well through the characters.

I know I was stripping the gameplay bare and being a bit flippant but I just saw those sections as tedious steps towards progressing the story that I was quite enjoying. It’s wel worth saying the DLC Left Behind really is a great piece of added content.

I’ll be in for TLOU part 2 if only to see where the story goes and because it’s Naughty Dog.

Comment

It made me fall asleep at the controls two nights in a row. The only other thing to make me fall asleep like that being Revenge of the Sith at the cinema.

Pure torture.

Comment

I suppose I can see why a lot of people wouldn’t like it, especially guys like Dave with the combo chaining complicated stuff he loves. For me though, as I’ve gotten older and I’m admittedly not brilliant at games any more (and with much slower reflexes!) I genuinely love the more story based nature of the naughty dog stuff, simplistic gameplay or not. It’s just a case of different things for different people really, isn’t it? I can’t get as much as a tiny bit of entertainment out of things like bayonetta or the demons games, and people rave about them, it’s just different taste as with any media.

Comment

Absolutely, and LOU is a perfectly serviceable adventure for the system. It's purely the GOTY plaudits I always found undeserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              I suppose I can see why a lot of people wouldn’t like it, especially guys like Dave with the combo chaining complicated stuff he loves. For me though, as I’ve gotten older and I’m admittedly not brilliant at games any more (and with much slower reflexes!) I genuinely love the more story based nature of the naughty dog stuff, simplistic gameplay or not. It’s just a case of different things for different people really, isn’t it? I can’t get as much as a tiny bit of entertainment out of things like bayonetta or the demons games, and people rave about them, it’s just different taste as with any media.

Oh man, this is me too.

I'd love to be getting S-Rank scores on things like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, TW101, Vanquish and Transformers: Devestation (especially), but I'm so poor at them, the game mocks me and makes me feel like I'm missing out.
                              I'm playing the surface game of Kung-Fu Master when underneath lies the complexity of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R!

Games like Fallout let me progress at my own pace and explore every nook and cranny of the world the makers have created.

I have TLoU from when I got my PS4 Pro last April, but ironically, it's Fallout 4 that distracted me from getting into it properly.
                              Maybe once I'm done hunting in the world of monsters, I'll come back to it.

Comment

New trailer:

Comment

Working...
                                X