[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates (Fire Emblem If) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates (Fire Emblem If) review

Ah, an other Fire Emblem game to keep any other videogame away.
    I ended up playing Awakening three or four times, and FE If (or FE Fates, if you don't live in Japan) promises to be twice that, with two different campaigns. Great!
    Impressions are based on the special edition of the game, that holds both versions (White and Black Kingdoms) in one cartridge.

The game begins with the usual list of tutorial chapters, from simple movement and attacking, to weapon triangle, ranged units, pairs, and your character's abilities. I felt that Fates hold your hand for less time during these chapters, but I might be wrong. Just like in Awakening, you can customise your avatar, and the creation process is exactly the same, only without what can be considered a normal hairdo. Also, your character is always barefoot, which totally irks me.
    But then he creates the Soul Edge out of nowhere, and everything's fine. Oh yes, your sword has a glowing red eye on it. But it gets taken away from you.

And also, about this post? Some wild spoilers about the first hour of the game.

The very first mission is a prelude of what will fully unfold in the sixth, just before you have to choose the side you'll fight for. After that, the story winds back and starts by introducing the Black Kingdom, then moves to the White Kingdom where you get to know your characters origins...or at least, part of it. You also get to know Aqua (I think), the blue haired dancer/songstress featured in many of the game's trailers.
    Everyone (except two of the very obvious bad guys) seem a nice person, but the two sides immediately differenciate themselves unit-wise: Black has wyvern riders, knighs, and mages; White pegasus riders, swordmen and archers. I doubt that any of the two sides won't be able to access all unit types though. And because FE Fates takes directly from Awakening, I've already started oogling female characters for future marriage, and I must say that the White Kingdom has one red-haired pegasus rider that reminds me of previous FE characters. But the Black Kingdom has a wyvern rider that doesn't shy away to show off her best attributes.
    The only weird thing is that every female character calls you brother. Fire Emblem Fates, not nly allowing gay marriages, but incest as well!
    I know that the girls on the black side arent blood related to your character, but I wouldn't be so dure about white, if you don't know the story, your character is kidnapped and then adopted by the black side.

Anyway, the intro missions also highlight some of you character's powers: you can create bridges from rock or even level mountains to make movement easier by getting to predetermined tiles, which is pretty amazing.
    And then your character turns into a Pokemon. It's probably a dragon, but the alternate form looks more like a Pokemon than a dragon to me. And then you get a new sword to replace the Soul Edge you lose to a shadowy figure.

Game-wise, Fates still allows to select difficulty levels and if characters stay dead or not, but also reworks some basic concepts.
    For example, weapons no longer have limited uses: rather, they increase/decrease hitting power, dodge chances, crits, and so on. There are still dragonslayer and similar weapons, but now selecting a weapon is not simply based on how many uses one has left...and hopefully it will allow high-level characters to use high-level weapons, rather than just relying on iron weapons (that were weak, but your characters' stats would more than make up for it, and they had many more uses than better weapons).
    Bonuses given by forts seem massive now, even at lower difficulty levels, and maybe the effectivness of pairs has been lowered a bit.

Character models follow the same "footless" style as in Awakening, but seem more complex...probably some designs (including your character) look a bit too overdesigned. The 3D effect is masterfully used in many occasions, from movies, to some stages, the valley in the last Black Kingdom intro mission is impressive, and even the overworld map uses it to make mountains and other terrain features pop out. As in Awakening, voices are only during battles and movies, with minimal voiceovers during dialogues.
    Music, on the other hand...well, I don't remember any tune from the game, but I can't say that the music in Awakening was memorable either.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Do the 3D characters still have those weird pin things for feet? That was an artistic decision I always disliked in Awakening.

Comment

Yes, they do.

Comment

Some more impressions, based on the first few missions on the Nohr side, (Conquest in the west).

The choice is actually at the beginning of the sixth mission, and it plays differently (at least about units available) between the two sides. Unfortunately not all units you have in this mission will follow you in the next ones, instead introducing new characters and classes, including one of the best archers in recent FE memory.
        After the seventh mission you actually get your own base, hidden in some sort of closed space, where you can interact with other characters and build structures as you see fit. You can only build structures if you have the available dragon points, and you get those by completing missions; right now only the Otherwolrd Gate is available (it's a gatewat to DLC missions, like in Awakening), but probably side missions will pop up as the game goes on.
        Your base has a set of fixed structure, like a cabbage patch, a shrine with a baby dragon in it, and your own house. You can feed cabbages to the baby dragon, and I haven't seen the effects of the dragon growing up; I think it's related to your base's size, though. In your house you can change your hairstlye and...how do I put this...pet your characters.
        You select a character (no sex restrictions) and tap his/her face to increase his/hear hearth meter, that I think will result in more/better bonuses when fighting side by side (or coupled) in battles. This segment is downright weird, I mean, I went through three Doki Doki Majo Shinpan and other similar games, but it's weird here in FE Fates: "oh yeah Muscular Guy, I need you to perform better in battle, let me grope you". You can actually scroll the character's portrait up and down but tap below the neck won't count, and you can simply tap on the same spot continuously, or the heart meter with decrease. Weeeiiird.

Anyway, while Fates still uses the couple system as Awakening, it has been rebalanced for the better. Couples now are less effective, and the game favours moving two units side-by-side rather than having them couple together all the time. Coupling units it's still an effective way to move characters around, but due to how maps are laid out, the number of enemies, how many "squishy" units you have (healers), and that units feel a lot more vulnerable, it's more often best to have two independent units available all the time.
        Some weapons, like staffs, still have uses like in the previous Fire Emblems, and "infinite" weapons cost a lot more than before. One mission awarded me with 5000g, and dividing those between weapons and spells has been rather hard.

One thing I must say is that graphics don't look as appealing and detailed as Awakening. Characters look great, but I still think they are a bit overdesigned; backgrounds are the biggest offenders, there are more terrain features but they don't look as sharp as before. Or probably I'm having an hard time adapting from a game I played so many times that my impressions are skewed. On the other hand, movies, cutscenes, and so on, received a lot more attention, and Fates surely looks like a very rich game.

My first impressions that this is a great Fire Emblem has been confirmed, and I hope it gets better and better as the game goes on.

Comment

I didn't realise this was out in Japan yet. How does it compare to Awakening, better or worse? And this may be a stupid question but is the txt all Japanese or does it offer English?

Comment

Some piccies of the contents of the special edition please?

Comment

It compares favourably to Awakening, I don't know if it's better, way too early to say so.

In-game videos will come in the next days.

Comment

The story is meant to be better, for what that's worth.

They got some writer bloke in, he was part of the Iwata Asks.

Comment

1st hour video (common missions, before the split)

Comment

Looks as good as always but I am finding the series getting a bit stale these days, the battles have long since lacked the set pieces of Shining Force III and the death system is pointless as any player knows to reset the battle. Still I'll pick it up when it arrives on these shores have every other games in the series bar the two NES originals.

Is it me or do they have feet in your video briareos? Nice capture by the way have you modded your 3DS to record footage that way?
                    Last edited by S3M; 03-07-2015, 09:27.

Comment

Maybe the models have more pronounced feet and are a less chibified than in Awakening, but they still haven't proper proportions (especially your character, I've noticed he has very long arms).

I've spoken about the capture board here.

Comment

What's the trading card for? Some kind of AR feature?

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          the death system is pointless as any player knows to reset the battle.
                          Isn't that cheating?

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            the death system is pointless as any player knows to reset the battle.
                            I don't see why. I didn't reset them. I actively chose not to, even though I knew I could have.

Does it bother you that some people do, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              What's the trading card for? Some kind of AR feature?
                              No, it's for a card game, like Magic The Gathering.

Comment

Working...
                              X