Yoshi's Woolly World review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshi's Woolly World review

Having completed the first world (collecting everything), immediate thoughts are very positive. Aesthetically it's very adorable and a big step up from Kirby's Epic Yarn, because of the art style it may also be the most photorealistic game I've ever played.

The game also seems more challenging than Epic Yarn, I'm fairly proficient with platformers but died a few times already which I wasn't expecting from this game. That's mostly down to me going for out of the way hidden collectibles so anyone looking to blitz the levels should have no problems with it but for obsessive types like me there is some difficulty to it.

Unlocking new Yoshi skins is always an exciting reveal too, I'm yet to use anything other than the classic green Yoshi but it's a fun extra and the amiibo costumes are a very nice touch...

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Played the first two levels with a *massive* grin on my face. This game is so charming.

Visually stunning, the music is wonderful, the controls are spot on.

It's a fantastic platforms to stick on, sit back and relax playing.

Comment

I'm glad this is taking a few more months to hit these shores, as it's one I'm on the fence about and need to hear out opinions first. That, and I've not properly finished any of my other platformers yet.

Comment

Mine didn't arrive from ShopTo... I didn't realise they're now using 2nd class delivery :/

Comment

Still very early so I feel my opinion won't form proper till the later levels. So far though it's solid, with Yoshi himself controlling nice and the levels have been alright so far. Certainly comes across more favourably than the Yoshi games Nintendo has previously doled out, feeling like an Island/Story hybrid. So fun but as yet, with nothing particularly standing out, it feels best summed up as 'more Yoshi platforming' as the art style is doing all the work so far but hopefully as the game goes on there'll be some inventive use of the yarn aspect

Comment

Up to world 3 and I'm loving it so far. It's packed full of Nintendo's usual charm and polish. The platforming has been easy, which is the norm for recent Yoshi games, but there are some devious secrets even in the early levels: you really have to explore every inch to get every reward. The amiibo support is great too, and the unlockables are lovely. I really didn't like the 3DS iteration, but this one is superb.

Comment

yeah it seems more of an exploration game than a test of plat-forming skill, very good fun and the kids liked it too, my littlest could probably even play most of it as you can add buffs that do different things like make it so you cant get killed by the falls and just bounce back up.

The Yoshi amiibo is completely pointless though and i would go as far as to say makes the game worse, why do i need an extra yoshi that copys all my button presses? he seems to spend half the level as a floating egg as your first yoshis perfectly landed jump normally means your second yoshi is in a hole.

Comment

For me add this to the rest of great games that are exclusive to Wii U, i was thinking last night, the next 6 months we will have had Splatoon, Yoshi wooly World, Devils Third, Mario Maker, Star fox, xenoblade X and Mario Tennis, not a bad 6 months at all, and what sony exclusives are there for the Ps4 in that period, apart from remakes of tearaway and uncharted . nothing i can think of.

And i agree the amiibo makes things worse. no point to it, apart from its a lovely wooly yoshi to stick on the shelf.

Comment

Only up to world 2 but I'm really enjoying this. It's so lush, sunny and happy. Nothing particularly awe inspiringly different about it to other Yoshi titles, but sometimes that's just fine with me.

Comment

Finished the first run through now (got to go back and get all the flowers and a few more levels where I've missed the yarn). Lovely game, great in 2-player with my kids as well. Gets tougher from world 3 onward, but nothing too taxing. It's just a wonderful, polished game made with great love for the Yoshi series. 9/10 for me.

Comment

Is it me or is the frame rate in the world map lower than in the levels?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        Is it me or is the frame rate in the world map lower than in the levels?
                        Half. And very jarring but doesn't really matter.

Comment

Gorgeous looking game with typical Nintendo levels of spit and polish. Not convinced yet that the core gameplay has much substance - but I have only played the first few stages so plenty more to see. It is utterly charming though, and full of delightful little touches.

Comment

100% on this now, which is something I'm hardly ever tempted to do with a game these days. Some gorgeous, challenging levels by the end and a few one-off showpieces - but everything about this is full of joy and love for the series. I finished at just over 50 hours in total, but can easily extend that by playing through again with my kids.

Comment

Even in the early stages finding every collectable is tough, so great job 100%ing it.

I had doubts about this game, but the further I get and the more I see, the more my heart warms to it. Can't remember the last time I played a happier game. It's digital joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X