Toren review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toren review

Another one I didn't expect to get through so quickly. Toren is a recently released PC title which comes from a Brazilian developer who seems to have taken titles like ICO as inspiration.

You play as a little girl referred to only as Moonchild. The tale the game tells seems to be that the Moonchild must make her way to the top of a tower and defeat the dragon that patrols it. She is endlessly killed and reborn in blood, the only way she can ascend the tower is to sacrifice her childhood to make the Tree of Life at its centre grow, helping her to get higher.

The game is a very simple action platformer really, on a controller the only buttons used are jump and action and the controls have the feel of an early PS3 PSN release. Visually, the game has that air about it also. It's a bit rough around the edges but nothing broken about it. You're expected to shift pillars and draw patterns but nothing taxing and nothing that requires pin sharp precision so it all works functionally enough.

It definitely has that air about it that ICO was the biggest inspiration but it lacks the polish and execution that that game had. There's some interesting imagery as you pass the stone remains of the previous Moonchild incarnations that died in various places and states as they attempted, or didn't, to get to the towers peak However, there's not that air of mystery to its world and the end of the game explains enough of the scenario that it all feels closed.

That's where it hits the same issue as Homesick as well, I finished the game from beginning to credits in 3 hours so this is another one where you'll be wanting to look out for a low price tag before picking up as it's all too easy to fly through in a single sitting.

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I got the PS4 ver for couple of dollars, technically awful, graphics are rough, controls are very floaty and numerous glitches (often fell through the world).... but the simple play, art style and story kept me occupied for the 2hr duration. As you say it very Ico inspired, with the way the graphics look for the world and the way it plays it reminded me alot of Ecstatica 2.

In my run through i missed 2 of the dreamscape puzzle areas so didn't get the true ending, just looped me back into the start of game after letting history repeat itself in a pretty nice ending credits.

Comment

Working...
    X