The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
    Yeah man, ultrawide 3k display, ultra settings and 60fps in everything. Nvidia means you get decent after care and driver support. What a horrendous mistake I made with AMD.

Back on topic, played another hour and that fatigue has nulled again due to the story ramping up - plus it's pretty lol.
    You are spoilt beyond!

Comment

Yeah man, ultrawide 3k display, ultra settings and 60fps in everything. Nvidia means you get decent after care and driver support. What a horrendous mistake I made with AMD.

Back on topic, played another hour and that fatigue has nulled again due to the story ramping up - plus it's pretty lol.
      Very nice. I am thoroughly jealous! haha

I'm playing everything ultra at a locked 30fps 1080p. Seems pathetic in comparison but still so so good.

Good to know the story keeps on going and gets more interesting though.

Comment

back to the game with a warning to all of you: my last quest "Wandering the Dark" sucked immensly. it's a very long quest and i ran out of consumables midway so no healing during combat, my equipment started to break and i was apparently underleveled too (level 4). took me nearly 1 hour to beat the final boss at lowest difficulty setting. honestly the combat is really no fun so far, i know this improves like in the first 2 games but i really had hoped they would streamline the difficulty balance at bit.

@ Shozuki
        2 highend cards just for the benefit of playing games at Ultra and with 60fps? hell that kind of enthusiasm surely comes at a hefty price. i just upgraded to a GTX 750Ti OC and pretty happy with it. produces 1080p@30fps with everything set to high and all postprocessing enabled except Hairworks which doesn't do much anyway since it's barely noticible in gameplay. set me back just 130 ? and only consumes max. 60 Watts compared to the 200+ Watts of a single Titan X.

Comment

I'm in the same place, level 4 as well but on death march difficulty, I'm not really getting anywhere, he just fully heals every time I get him down to about half health. I just ran out of the cave and started gathering more food and hopefully can at least hit level 5 doing some side quests.

Comment

Are you guys saying you're at the last boss and your witcher is only level 4? That can't be right. I've only just killed the Wolf king and even I'm on level 4.

Comment

I'm talking about the boss of that mission. I assumed Uli was too.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                back to the game with a warning to all of you: my last quest "Wandering the Dark" sucked immensly. it's a very long quest and i ran out of consumables midway so no healing during combat, my equipment started to break and i was apparently underleveled too (level 4). took me nearly 1 hour to beat the final boss at lowest difficulty setting. honestly the combat is really no fun so far, i know this improves like in the first 2 games but i really had hoped they would streamline the difficulty balance at bit.

@ Shozuki
                2 highend cards just for the benefit of playing games at Ultra and with 60fps? hell that kind of enthusiasm surely comes at a hefty price. i just upgraded to a GTX 750Ti OC and pretty happy with it. produces 1080p@30fps with everything set to high and all postprocessing enabled except Hairworks which doesn't do much anyway since it's barely noticible in gameplay. set me back just 130 € and only consumes max. 60 Watts compared to the 200+ Watts of a single Titan X.
                Yeah man, next gen consoles are barely any sort of upgrade this gen, so I wanted to get a super beefy PC that I could use for 4k. Just turned out I prefer ultrawide. Absolutely expensive but I shouldn't expect to change now for a couple of years.

Your card is really good value, especially if your gaming @ 1080p. I have no idea abouts Wattage lol, I take no notice!

Comment

Nvidia means you get decent after care and driver support. What a horrendous mistake I made with AMD.
                  If only they could both sort micro stutter out, its a plague these days.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                    If only they could both sort micro stutter out, its a plague these days.
                    It's not that big a deal is it these days? I've never noticed and have SLI/Crossfire since the 480 back in 2009...

Comment

I had two 560s for almost three years and could never say they stuttered or faltered in any way. I've never understood why people say it's such a huge issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                        I had two 560s for almost three years and could never say they stuttered or faltered in any way. I've never understood why people say it's such a huge issue.
                        Yeah, I guess it's a sensitivity thing. Like the phosphor trails stuff with Plasma screens. I couldn't really see it, but it drove my mate barmy.

Comment

i really hate screen tearing and micro stuttering. When i used 6950 in crossfire it was really bad for micro stutter changed that to a 270x which still had it though not as bad.

I eventually went for a 970 and g sync monitor which works well but i would say the g-sync is way over priced a decent 144hz monitor would do the job (though i wished i waited for the 144hz ips monitors out now)

Comment

It's not that big a deal is it these days? I've never noticed and have SLI/Crossfire since the 480 back in 2009...
                            It certainly is. Pretty much everything unity engine based for starters, even the all singing all dancing GTAV port suffers terribly from it. Having said that a huge open world is perhaps forgivable to an extent, but games like ori and the blind forest absolutely shouldn't be plagued by this. For me if you strive for 60fps in games, only to have micro stutter break that fluid motion...it was pretty much pointless to begin with, as the higher frames you get the more apparent it becomes.

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                            Like predator on bluray, looking at amazon user reviews would lead you to think it was perfectly fine. All i can say is if you don't notice then its certainly a good thing for you...surprises me though as it is jarring, because for a fraction of a second the frame rate is reduced to a crawl.

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                            i really hate screen tearing and micro stuttering. When i used 6950 in crossfire it was really bad for micro stutter changed that to a 270x which still had it though not as bad.

I eventually went for a 970 and g sync monitor which works well but i would say the g-sync is way over priced a decent 144hz monitor would do the job (though i wished i waited for the 144hz ips monitors out now)
                            I have a 144hz g-sync monitor and 970gtx at present, g-sync is wonderful but it doesn't stop stuttering that is engine related.
                            Last edited by PaTaito; 25-05-2015, 00:40.

Comment

The controls in this are really hampering my enjoyment of the game. Simple things like walking up to ppl to talk, or getting on the horse are driving me nuts. So much so that I thought my pad might be faulty. Does anyone else have Geralt continuing to walk while not pressing on the stick, or him turning like an oil tanker while you're trying to interact with something?

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man View Post
                                The controls in this are really hampering my enjoyment of the game. Simple things like walking up to ppl to talk, or getting on the horse are driving me nuts. So much so that I thought my pad might be faulty. Does anyone else have Geralt continuing to walk while not pressing on the stick, or him turning like an oil tanker while you're trying to interact with something?
                                Yeah the controls are horrendous. Really really clunky. I don't understand how they never thought to fix it or fine tune it more. It's the fact you run by default and it's very quick and snappy to start running but slow to stop. So you can't be accurate when going about busy towns or trying to walk up to a body to loot it or talk to someone.

I think just giving the analog stick more of a bias towards walking than it already has would sort it. It's such a fine level between walk and full run right now that makes it so difficult to use.

Comment

Working...
                                X