Not a Hero review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a Hero review

Given this my first go today after its release this week. It's the tale of Bunnylord and his mission to become the mayor by cleaning up the streets and in turn save the world from destruction in the future. To do this he enlists the help of nine mercenaries during his campaign. You take control of these gunmen with each level representing a day in the campaign.

You start off with just one character at your disposal, Steve the cockney. It's here where you get introduced to the standard model every level plays by. Steve can shoot, slide and use various pick ups found in the levels. Each of the characters you unlock as the game progresses are all variations of this simple control model, one might be able to reload whilst running whereas another might shoot faster but hold less ammo between reloads. Most of the action has you bursting into a room, slide tackling enemies and jumping in and out of cover to shoot anyone else nearby. Cover is handled by being automatic after pressing the slide button. You only ever have X number of approaches to a situation as the levels are all fairly similar. Usually you slide through a doorway but sometimes you can crash through a window behind enemies or lure them out with a mine etc.

There are 21 levels in the game with four available objectives in each. Each completed objective gives you one approval percentage and as you pass certain approval ratings you get access to another character. So far, in addition to Steve, I have access to a Scottish Redneck, a Welsh wine drinker and Jesus the Spanish Lover.

The game uses a recharging health system where you can take 5 hits before dying and after a pause it recharges, despite this death is easy to come by. The games missions aren't going to take long to get through but I can imagine the longevity will be extended by trying to push through all the objectives. Despite the temptation to glide through rooms in a balletic hail of bullets, a slower and considered approach usually wins out.

In between missions you'll get a post-level summary where Bunnylord takes you for a milkshake and then a pre-mission briefing. This are entirely skippable, acting a dressed up menu screens but the humour and wording in the game has a faint whiff of Digitiser to it so they're likeable and brief enough to sit through.

Sound wise there isn't much to say, the game utilises the 8bit homage style throughout so nothing about the audio sticks out much. There's no catchy tunes and you'll be hearing gunfire mostly. The games appeal very much relies on its action platform gameplay and random humour.

So far though, it's very much enjoyable and a nice game to break up meatier gaming experiences. The price at the time of preorder was just under a tenner, nothing to grumble about. Hopefully the gameplay will remain pretty balanced as I get into the second half and things won't become too frustrating as I imagine it wouldn't be hard to that to be the case. So far though, so good.

1 - In Mr T's Bins
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - Not Quite Pixel Perfect
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - Mayor of the City
    0%

Just about crept to the end of the game in terms of getting through the levels. Late on there's plenty one hit kill opportunities so the difficulty ramps up a fair bit and I didn't find the characters that open later on that useful so ended up relying on Jesus for his quick slide and movement action.

It is a short game really but I'd say a decent length for the price. Trying to go for every objective in every level would add some real length as it turns out that objectives don't stack so in order to 100% a level you have to beat all four objectives in one go and that really maps up the ante to where some skills are going to be a necessity.

Great little action game though to break up the bigger titles.

Comment

What platform did you play it on, Supes?

Comment

PC via Steam, I might be wrong but the Sony platform versions are still stuck in TBA limbo I think. Can't imagine they'll be far off though

Comment

Thanks for the impressions Bunnylord seems awesome looking forward to playing when released on PS4.

Comment

Working...
          X