Project Cars PS4/XBOX ONE/PC review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Cars PS4/XBOX ONE/PC review

Well it's finally crossed the finish line and yes Project Cars is here.Early impressions are based on the PS4 version.
    Day one patch weighs in at 817MB,quite small up against Forza 5
    Upon booting the game,only a 2 lap race is available and all other options are locked.Personally,I think it's due to the disc instalment to the hard drive.Once the laps are completed,the options are available but I did play a time trial race straight after the 2 lap race.
    The intro to the game looks superb. And the game options are very complementary.The games visuals can be altered,in game camera views can be adjusted etc.
    The graphics are very clean and crisp and the framerate is smooth.The replays are excellent and show off the graphics of the vehicles beautifully.The game can be paused at any time and the use of photo mode excels here(one option for the budding photographer).The sound effects are also well done especially in car view.
    Gameplay wise,the career mode stands out as you can choose what tier you want to start.I choose tier 8 which starts your racing career with go karting
    Overall,I'm very early on in the game and haven't seen any weather effects but this racer is up there with the likes of Forza
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

According to Eurogamer,the game options are locked until you download and install the day one patch.
    I can confirm the patch was installed before I played the game and the game options were still locked upon booting the game.

Some DF tests on PS4/XBOX ONE framerates
    The finishing line is in sight. Only a day remains until Project Cars becomes a finished article on PlayStation 4 and X…

Some early impressions

Ahead of our full Project Cars review, Oli Welsh celebrates this exciting and authentic motor racing experience for the solo player.

Comment

Really ****ty of them to do that, essentially anyone not connected online but who brought the game at a shop will not be able to do anything else. ****ing awful.

I don't want to detract from the game as it's my most looked forward to of the entire year, but what an awful decision.

Comment

Its crazy that you cant play without the update,modern gaming is so annoying at times, and after a couple of hours play, yes it good, but it gets nowhere near Forza for me at the moment, but thats an early opinion, based on trying a few tracks in time trial and a couple of quick races last night. the karts are the start are ace though.

Comment

I fell out with Forza 5 online as the slightest touch from a player behind and you go flying off the track. Any sign of that on this games?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
            According to Eurogamer,the game options are locked until you download and install the day one patch.
            I can confirm the patch was installed before I played the game and the game options were still locked upon booting the game.

Some DF tests on PS4/XBOX ONE framerates
            The finishing line is in sight. Only a day remains until Project Cars becomes a finished article on PlayStation 4 and X…

Some early impressions

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...torsport-games
            Looking at those clips I think you can forgive a bit of slow down when there's 45 cars on track in the rain haha. The queue on the first few turns is insane!

Comment

had a few races on the Nordschleife last night and i am completely blown away by how authentic and lifelike it feels. the variety of options to customize the experience is insane too. the only thing i miss is a 30 fps locking option. i with every setting on medium at 1080p i am already getting about 25 fps out of my PC, which is remarkable as it is a HTPC first and foremost and equipped with just a crappy GTX 650.

the car list looks is a bit limited at first glance. but given the extensive testing every car has to go through it's understandable and also preferable to me. what use are hundreds of cars if only a small percentage of them have a proper handling and are fun to drive? happend with Forza 5 and i really don't want this repeated.

Comment

my copy didn't arrive! I am really looking forward to it. Is there a list anywhere of compatible wheels?

edit: found it

Comment

I have a copy hopefully coming tomorrow - looking forward to it too

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                    the car list looks is a bit limited at first glance. but given the extensive testing every car has to go through it's understandable and also preferable to me. what use are hundreds of cars if only a small percentage of them have a proper handling and are fun to drive? happend with Forza 5 and i really don't want this repeated.
                    And if it takes you 300 years to unlock them all....

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                      Looking at those clips I think you can forgive a bit of slow down when there's 45 cars on track in the rain haha. The queue on the first few turns is insane!
                      Tbh with you I'm not bothered with the framerate as its not affecting the handling or the feeling of racing bumper to bumper.
                      Happy with my purchase and hope its supported for many months ahead

Comment

Same here. As long as it stays above 30fps that's fine with me. Forza Horizon 2 is always 30fps and that's not an issue at all. So Project Cars going higher is a bonus IMO. Sadly mine won't arrive until the 12th. It's the Asian release as there's no JPN release yet

Comment

First thing I did with this (PC edition) was bang this onto full grid, max settings in the rain. Didn't help myself choosing a Mustang, damn thing was uncontrollable in the wet. Frames were up and down like a yo-yo between 30fps and 150fps. Tweaked the output settings that for some reason were off and set VSync on and rock solid 60fps has arrived, started to crank up other settings bit by bit but need to try another stretch test race. Steering generally seems a bit sensitive but I'm getting used to it and the fairly open Career mode seems engaging enough. Quite decent first impression of the game.

Comment

Man this is hard, so unforgiving and definitely not for the mainstream. I'm getting the hang of it now but you can't try throwing the cars round the corners. Break hard, coast, kiss the apex and accelerate out the corners - anything other than this and you're screwed. I'm normally all for manual transmission but if you red line any of the gears too much the car goes crazy and pulls you off the track haha.

The Renault touring series is great fun but I found karting a challenge, if you touch the tyre wall you're stuck and the race is over.

I love how you can make the game your own, SO MANY settings and options.

Comment

I love my racing and this should be on my doorstep later but that just sounds a grind. I will try to love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X