No announcement yet.

John Wick: Chapter Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dredd is an awesome movie. None of the excess and bluster that fills out most of the comic book fare, just a tightly made thriller with some great and brutal action sequences. It was all killer and no filler for me, I've seen it a few times now.

I had dismissed John Wick, but based on impressions above I'm going to check it out. Sounds pretty good.

Comment

Dread and Wick are real almost 80s action films and tower above most of the dross shoved down most of late.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

I really don't understand your point here. Criticising an American film for using an American actor makes as much sense as criticising a Chinese film for using a Chinese actor.
        What on earth. "American" does not equal "white".

I was quite specific there is a talented pool of _Asian-American_ ethnically Japanese and Chinese actors, whom Hollywood refuses to touch, even when it means casting a white American (or even foreign) actor in a role where it makes little to zero sense.

'Well do you see Chinese movies use white/other actors'? Well, America is a multicultural country. When you refuse to represent people who actually live in your society in your art forms it is alienating and odd. Like Eastenders.

Besides, why can't a white man be a master of martial arts?
        Man, I didn't imply this. Who's saying they can't be. White masters of martial arts real or not are certainly well-represented in American cinema anyway from Chuck Norris to Van Dam to Coach Rex in Napoleon Dynamite to Neo Ronin Reeves-sama. All good.

'Why can't Americans who aren't white or a few token blacks (Sam Jackson et al) have a lead role for once? In even a role that it would make more sense for them to be in?' That's a real question.

Plus, suggesting only white men get to play the part of a kung-fu master or killer assassin, would suggest you've not seen any of Jet Li's Western releases!
        War (AKA Rogue Assassin), The Master, The One, Kiss of the Dragon, Romeo Must Die, The Expendables, Cradle 2 The Grave and Lethal Weapon 4 would disagree with your suggestion that no Asian actors ever play an assassin or kung fu master.

Yeah, I made no such suggestion. I said a white man doesn't have to front every damn scenario and lead role, this is 2015. That's what I said. There's a ton of Asian-American acting talent in America who are completely ignored. Other than for secondary and wacky over-the-top 'ethnics' roles. This is what I suggested.

You mentioned nearly all crap Jet Li movies, Jet Li being a crap foreign actor. One guy. Wow. Nice one.This is the definition of 'token 'ethnic' actor'. And using a crap foreign go-to guy at the expense of your local talent because 'ethnics' acting doesn't matter.

but if you're going to say that, you can't also say that Hollywood gushing to remake a film is your gold seal of quality.
        I didn't. Generally speaking exceptional film from foreign cinema are what get optioned overseas for remakes.
        Last edited by usman; 08-10-2015, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Dredd is an awesome movie...It was all killer and no filler
          Nice one, that's it for me as well....all killer and no filler, no bluster.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          That's because, as far as I'm aware, the Raid is based on an early leaked version of the Dredd script, hence the similarities.

Oh, and I agree with you about Olivia Thirlby
          Aha! No wonder Dredd was (well, IMO) the better film.

If this flu doesn't get me too down, I'm off to see Olivia in 'The Stanford Prison Experiment' tonight. Feel it's required watching of sorts as a psychology grad (good year for this kind if film, 'The Experimenter' is also on release this year) but mainly Thirlby in what seems a rare good/mature role since Dredd = win

Right on-topic then, John Wick 2 then, sorry to derail. Well, nice to see Keanu get steady work again. I think I already said that.
          Last edited by usman; 08-10-2015, 10:26.

Comment

Firstly, you name me one Asian American actor that's going to have a bigger box office pull than Keanu Reeves?
            I know you don't like him, but he's a bigger name than any Asian American in Hollywood.
            You've discounted any foreign actors like Donnie Yen, Lee Byung Hun, Rain or Chow Yun Fat in your last sentence, so you can't have them.

That's the nature of showbusiness, unfortunately. They prefer to have a name attached to a film.
            Hollywood isn't specifically against using Asian actors, but until one breaks through, they're never going to take the risk.

To me, it didn't feel like using Reeves was a role he was shoehorned into, it seemed a good choice.
            Once Reeves was attached, he didn't just turn up and act, he was involved in the story writing, casting and choice of directors.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't understand the point when it starts being racist by casting Keanu Reeves but, because there's fighting in it, there should be an Asian American in it?

Finally, Keanu Reeves isn't American. He's Canadian with Hawaiian, Chinese, British and Portuguese ancestry.

Comment

Look, let's not make this a big argument.

Let's agree that Hollywood needs more Asian Americans as leading men in its films, but politely disagree whether or not John Wick specifically warranted it?

That cool?

Comment

Firstly, you name me one Asian American actor that's going to have a bigger box office pull than Keanu Reeves?I know you don't like him
                No, I said I do like him as a person. He's infact had a lot of personal tragedy. He's also really nice and down to earth.

but he's a bigger name than any Asian American in Hollywood.
                You've discounted any foreign actors like Donnie Yen, Lee Byung Hun, Rain or Chow Yun Fat in your last sentence, so you can't have them.
                When you stop minorities from major roles in Hollywood they won't have 'big names'.

That's the nature of showbusiness, unfortunately. They prefer to have a name attached to a film.
                Directors and producers openly blame the white male demographic they falsely claim won't watch films with nonwhite leads. But infact will see Fast & Furious 82 in droves.

See: Ridley Scott's comments on 'Exodus' casting

Hollywood isn't specifically against using Asian actors, but until one breaks through, they're never going to take the risk.
                Yet they always risk and bank on unknown white actors.

Yes, Hollywood is strongly against minorities in lead roles.

'Breaking through' happens when you give them a chance to break through. Like unknown Jennifer Lawrence got to 'break through' as a white actress. This is not afforded to minority unknowns.

Sung Kang has proved his mettle in independent cinema. And in the Fast franchise, thanks to Justin Lin, not a white director. Still he's ignored.

Asian-Americans at least feature in minor Hollywood roles. Arabs, etc are out of the question entirely. See again: Ridley Scott's comments on 'Mohamed so-and-so' ; also the book 'Reel Bad Arabs'

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't understand the point when it starts being racist by casting Keanu Reeves but, because there's fighting in it, there should be an Asian American in it?
                Yup, none of this was from me. No. Said none of this. Didn't even use 'racist'.

Deleting minorities in cinema is not racist of audiences, they're passive consumers. It is racist of studios and producers and directors, but when representation is good and broad on your side of the fence - for any group - it's easy to miss this.

Finally, Keanu Reeves isn't American. He's Canadian with Hawaiian, Chinese, British and Portuguese ancestry.
                I would know, yes, being Canadian. But Keanu is considered white, lead roles overwhelmingly go to white males, American or foreign, over native non-white American talent.

This is not specific to John Wick, please don't misunderstand. I know Keanu was deeply involved with the film. My comment was one of generalities. I was not targeting this film specifically.
                Last edited by usman; 08-10-2015, 11:18.

Comment

Apparently Japan's only just now getting John Wick on release this month!

Oh, Keanu, it's so obvious by now that you're a big ol' Japanophile. In fact, Hollywood mega-star Mr. Reeves seems to be spending most of his time in Japan these days. There was the time he tried to be a regular tourist in Akihabara, despite being followed by crowds of adoring fans.  And there was that time he flew ...

Keanu's a good guy, really has a humble aura about him. So different from other American celebs when he visits Japan.

Comment

“The Matrix” stars Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne look to be reuniting on screen with Fishburne spotted filming scenes for the currently shooting sequel to last year’s throwback action cult hit “John Wick”. Gothamist reports that Reeves and Fishburne have been filming on a random rooftop in New York City for a scene which seems […]

John Wick lives in the Matrix
                    Lawrence Fishburne will also be in the new film

Comment

Lionsgate has announced a February 10th 2017 release date for the Keanu Reeves-led and freshly titled sction sequel “John Wick: Chapter Two”. The film will take place at least partly in Rome, but plot specifics are otherwise under wraps beyond Common serving as the film’s villain – the head of security for a female crime […]

John Wick's sequel has been titled John Wick: Chapter Two and a release date has been set for 10th February 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/414...-feb-2017-date

John Wick's sequel has been titled John Wick: Chapter Two and a release date has been set for 10th February 2017

Comment

Keanu weapon trains

Damn.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to post that, because it's pretty impressive. He looks very convincing!

Comment

Working...
                            X