Mortal Kombat X review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortal Kombat X review

I've only had a fairly brief exploration of the game so far as I went down the PC route for this one and the streaming Steam launch hasn't been super smooth and has meant the game has unlocked progressively for me as it all downloads piece by piece. It's all in there now though, so...

Gameplay
    First impressions are that it's going to take some time to get a handle on the characters. My initial matches were with franchise regulars and the game comes across like a refined MK9 generally. The three style mix and match is probably the most interesting change as you find yourself facing a fighter feeling prepared to realise quickly that they're using a different fight style than the last match you faced them. So far I wouldn't say it feels like a dramatic switch up but it's enough of one. The last fighter I played as thanks to Story mode was Kotal Khan who doesn't come across well to me at all on first impressions, one of those characters where you press strong kick and he does an unrelated motion or gesture but I imagine with more practice he'll make sense quicker.

Characters still have that typical MK awkward stiffness to their motion but I'd say that measured against the franchise it flows that bit smoother again from how the last game progressed things.

Visuals and Sound
    It's a nice looking game, there's enough visual flair to it that characters have lots of detail to them and backgrounds have plenty going on in them. There feels like a consistency to the overall design that's more balanced than previously too though the more serious tone means the newbie generation offspring fighters are all pretty dull additions visually. I've tried taking screenshots but that's a real mixed back as there's some sort of motion blur which makes many of them look messy. On my PC, matches are pretty much flawlessly 60fps with cutscene FMV variable and Krypt solid 30fps. Audio wise it's pretty much standard to my ears, the usual MK crunches and snaps etc

Kontent
    Krypt mode is a grid based FPS approach affair with the odd QTE thrown in. Despite the limited time I've played the game, it's pretty generous with Koins to unlock stuff and there's a lot of tombstones to crack open with your currency as well as a fairly expansive set of areas. Oddly enough I already have 5 Easy Fatality tokens (no idea how to redeem stuff though) so I'm not sure the dlc was needed or likely to be bought by people as it seems a quick unlock item.

Story mode is very polished but, and I'm only on Chapter 3 so far, the structure seems to be made up of 4 fights with one QTE and a lot of FMV cutscene per chapter. They take a while but only because of the amount of viewing required. It's nice to see every character crop up in some manner regardless of whether they're a fighter in the game too.

Factions is the other main addition, the first thing you do is pick one of five factions to represent and contribute to as you play but I've not really seen much from it as yet as the connection to WB's servers seems ropey so far.

Overall
    Pretty good impression of the game so far, I'm playing it as a single player-work-through-the-content game and I think it'll be fine for that. Fans shouldn't have any troubles with the game either. The Kontent Pack fighters are mixed up in the story so it's been interesting to effectively get a preview as I've already fought Tanya so gotten to see some of how she will fight. Interestingly, fans seem to be under the suspicion that WB will be planning a Kontent Pack 2 later and it wouldn't surprise me seeing as how Rain is in the game as someone you fight too and he's not a lazy copy/paste addition either, this early on I'm fully expecting to see more crop up.
    I - More sinister than a Reptile in a Pit
    0%
    II - Burning in hell... Toasty!
    0%
    III - Ultimate Babality
    0%
    IV - Not the Gold standard
    0%
    V - A Deadly Alliance
    0%
    VI - A Little Bit of a Deception
    0%
    VII - Armageddon into the Spirit of This
    0%
    VIII - Vs the Competition
    0%
    IX - Back to its Roots for the Win
    0%
    X - Marks the Spot
    0%

What I'm a little annoyed at was the story mode- within 10 minutes Id seen four characters that aren't available to pick in game- all modelled and in the game, but unable to fight as them.

Okay, I thought, just having them modelled is only half the job- they have no moves, animations, balancing- all the rest of the stuff that goes into making a character.

2 minutes later, I start fighting Tanya. A previous MK character again, fully modelled, with her own move set, voice actress (Jennifer Hale no less) and no different from a selectable character.

Except she isn't. She isn't available to pick in the game at all. DLC? Probably. Annoying? Most Definately.

Other than that i really enjoying it! I miss the 300 level iriginal challenge tower though. The living towers are all good- but I preferred the number and type of challenges of MK9's. Early days yet though!

Comment

So i'll throw up some random impressions. Finished Story, played some Towers, did some online.

So Story mode, I thought it was better than Injustice but nowhere near as good as MK9. It Just felt it didn't do enough with each character and the honestly the last boss was really meh. I just expected something bigger from it all.....i don't know what, i was really good but i wasn't left satisfied, even the after the credits scene didn't excite me a lot.

Characters.

Gotta say i love all 4 of the new kids, i really like Takeda, Jacqui and Kung Jin, love how all 3 of them play and their variations and plan to use them a lot, Cassie plays really nice too and i think they got her personality just right, i just generally liked all 4 of them.

Erron Black was probably the guy i was most hyped for but wasn't in the story enough and didn't really get past being a lackey, we didn't even see his background like we did other characters either, i really like the way he plays though and i will sit and learn more with him.

Kotal Kahn just became a complete throw away character over the story mode, i thought we were gonna see something more from him at the end but no just faded in obscurity. Wasn't really interested in him before and really aren't now.

Human Scorpion was terrible i hated those bits, i hope we never see that design again, kill him off again.

Subzero i love, he plays really well, love his design, love his involvement in the story......the beards ok.

Raiden is off the chart in this game, he's always been lacking since MK2, just hasn't been cool, they totally redeemed him in this, he's super fun to play as and all his sh!t looks awesome, his X-Ray is fantastic. Plan to put more time into him.

To be honest i think everyone has been done fantastic, i really want to sit down now and just go though all the variations and see what i like, characters like Johnny, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Ermac, Reptile...all of them play better than ever imo.

The Kombat pack at ?25 is ridiculous but i paid it. The other **** on the store like buying the easy fatalities or unlocking the entire krypt.....i feel sorry for anyone who's buying those...it's pretty disgusting.

And i do agree it's horrible fighting [spoiler]Rain, Baraka[/spolier] and Tanya in game and them not unlocking, Tanya is in the Kombat pack so assume

Rain & Barak

will be DLC later as they were all there totally complete too.

Easy fatality tokens are used just by holding Block and then pressing either Punch button.

Living towers are very cool, it feels like where i'll spend most of my offline time.

So yeah i'm really happy with it. It plays smoother and faster than ever imo, everything flows really well and combos and juggles are easier than ever, all the new characters are excellent and the cast feel fresh.

Will add more as i think of it

Comment

Not sure how I feel about the non playable characters in the game.
        seems to be just the MK9 moveset with a new skin, so I'm presuming they aren't fully complete, no 3 variations, fatalities etc. That said however, having Tanya in story mode is a bit cheeky. If predator turns up I'll riot.

Typical for neverealm though the game is packed full of content. Love the krypt, it's like an old fashioned dungeon explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
          What I'm a little annoyed at was the story mode- within 10 minutes Id seen four characters that aren't available to pick in game- all modelled and in the game, but unable to fight as them.
          Seems someone has already modded the PC version to address that issues:
          A Mortal Kombat X modder has had a dig around the PC version's files and made currently unplayable characters playable.…

Very poor showing not making them playable suspect there maybe a bit of a backlash to this.
          Last edited by S3M; 17-04-2015, 11:40.

Comment

the DLC shenanigans with the game are pretty disgusting. It's really holding the game back imo.

It's a good game, infact the best MK has ever been, but it certainly feels like I'm being rinsed for my wallet. I bought the Coarse and Kollector's editions, but even they fail to come with Goro. Makes me question if I was supposed to 2x special editions and the regular pre-order version of the game. Inexcusable imo.

Story mode is great though, these guys really know how to do that side of things.

So defo mixed feeling for me, and I've always been a massive MK fan since the first.

Comment

It seems like a real shame. I'm still keen to play this but what should have been a love letter to the fans seems to have turned into something excessively cynical even by the games industry of 2015's standards.

I mean, putting complete fighters in the game that aren't available to play as - that's inexcusable really and just feels crass in a piece of software that costs ?50. And as for the special editions not including Goro...what?!

Still want to play it as I say...hopefully by the time I own a PS4 it will have dropped to 20 quid. Keep the impressions up!

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to say "but Street Fighter 2 had 4 boss characters you couldn't play as originally!!"

Comment

I don't like the towers as much though.

MK9 had the 300 floor tower with some really original ideas, this one just has towers with various modifiers. 9 had crazy stuff like massive characters, and fighting more than one person and stuff- this one doesn't seem as fun to play- and waiting to see what comes next isn't as rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                    Seems someone has already modded the PC version to address that issues:
                    A Mortal Kombat X modder has had a dig around the PC version's files and made currently unplayable characters playable.…

Very poor showing not making them playable suspect there maybe a bit of a backlash to this.
                    Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                    I'm waiting for someone to say "but Street Fighter 2 had 4 boss characters you couldn't play as originally!!"
                    I'll say it then; lots of games have characters who are functional, but you can never play as them.

Random example, you can never play as Shiva in Streets of Rage 2.

I don't get why people need to be able to play as every onscreen character. Are you unhappy with the existing roster?

Comment

As I said earlier, just having the characters modelled is one thing- but to have a set of characters that have different move sets and special moves, balancing applied etc- to then not have them playable seems odd. I think the backlash is because we all know full well they will be paid DLC later- even though they're already in the game.

Comment

well i have been playing the game for a while now and while i like it i really wish they would expand on the dial combos system a bit sometimes i feel with that (and same in injustice and mk9) it feels like a scrolling beat em up with those type of combos

It has a very rigid and slightly stiff combo system though have learned it is due to the fact that it is not due to the timing it is the fact that you really have to do moves as fast as possible for example

Kitana if you do square, square, square......wait and do the fan throw it does not come out but if you do square square square and literally as you pressed the last square you do her fan special it comes out and you can Queue moves up that way so after the fan special you do a dash but you do it all just like one long command.

I never really realized that before and now i know i find it a lot easier

I really love the look of the game though i think the battle damage has been toned down way to much i know in Mk9 it was a bit over the top but now i find it a bit to subtle

I really like all the game modes and enjoying the krypt and the factions is a really good idea

Comment

PC optimisation patch has just gone up which tweaks the graphics for better performance and gives players 10,000 Koins. It's also a whopping 15.4GB

Comment

15.4gb ....that is about half of the original download what on earth could be a in a patch that big those krypt coins must take up a lot of space ..or is it just a case of having to redownload the game
                            Last edited by eastyy; 18-04-2015, 22:09.

Comment

Takeda is my booooooy

Comment

Working...
                              X