Ori (Xbox One, PC - 360 version to follow) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ori (Xbox One, PC - 360 version to follow) review

Thought would start a first play thread though many others are probably much further in to the game than me.

So far it lives up to the hype and excellent reviews. It's a joy to play, amazing visually and musically, plenty to discover, find and unlock, regular save points and a map to help your progress, it can be as fast paced as you want it to be. Just perfect so far. Really look forward to sinking some serious hours in to it over the weekend.

Is ?15.99 on the Xbox store, or ?14.99 on Steam (it's a digital only release).

For those who haven't a clue what it's about read below, or just Youtube a HD trailer.

Ori and the Blind Forest tells the tale of a young orphan destined for heroics, through a visually stunning action-platformer crafted by Moon Studios for the Xbox One. Featuring hand-painted artwork, meticulously animated character performance, and a fully orchestrated score, “Ori and the Blind Forest” explores a deeply emotional story about love and sacrifice, and the hope that exists in us all.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I've played about 2 hours in to this game and have to say it is definitely one of those special games that really grabs your attention. Everything about it is amazing from the looks to the sound and the way it plays. Well worth the money and such a shame it's digital only.

Image grabbed from the Xbox One version last night.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 12-03-2015, 23:42.

Comment

Probably the best game I've played on the One, it's absolutely brilliant. First essential next gen* game in my opinion

*(not counting anything on the WiiU, since I don't have one)

Comment

I wouldn't say it's the first essential next gen game as there are a few excellent games to have but I'd say this is the first true old school game play type of game with a modern look. I hate all of those f??king stupid fake 8 or 16 bit looking games with their ****ty pixel art graphics. Old games never looked like that even on the Gameboy.

Anyway, Ori is pure old school skill based gameplay with amazing graphics, fanatic audio and even an emotional story at times. A must buy for any serious gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
          Probably the best game I've played on the One, it's absolutely brilliant. First essential next gen* game in my opinion

*(not counting anything on the WiiU, since I don't have one)
          It is out on 360 soon so IMO it is not Next gen

Comment

The same games were out on the c64 as the amiga...did you say the same thing back then?

All "next gen" means anyway nowadays (sadly) is shinier graphics.

Gonna pick this up when my housemate is on holiday and I can take over the One.

Comment

I'm enjoying it so far, it's very pretty and the intro brought tears to my eyes, but I don't think it's anything particularly special. It hasn't blown me away with it's gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
                The same games were out on the c64 as the amiga...did you say the same thing back then?
                I can't remember mate, I was 7.

Comment

All "next gen" means anyway nowadays (sadly) is shinier graphics
                  Shouldn't it just mean that they're on the new generation of consoles ? . And in a game like this graphics and sound play a big part in the game atmosphere . Why people still bitch about its the same old game just with better graphics is beyond me . Mario IV was the same old gameplay that was done to death in the 8 bit days alone , who cared when the game looked , played and sounded so good .

Anyway this game is must have and is totally brilliant .
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 15-03-2015, 10:16.

Comment

will pick it up at some point later, still got too much distraction from other games, in mostly unplayed state. how long is the game supposedly?

Comment

Kotaku said 12-15 hours, which is too short apparently.

Comment

I've put about two and a half hours in, still loving it, but have had to back track a fair bit due to something I missed, spoilered it, but if you've played the game for more than half an hour it's not really a spoiler, more a heads up.

Got to a gate where you need four blue energy balls all at once to open it, I only have three, know I missed collecting one a long way back, pretty sure I've not missed any others though

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
                          I can't remember mate, I was 7.
                          Bloody kids, with your hair and your music *old man grumble*

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                            Kotaku said 12-15 hours, which is too short apparently.
                            A friend completed it 9.5 hours, said he wasn't exactly rushing through the game, just played normally.

There is an achievement to complete it in under three hours I see.

Re my post earlier about back-tracking, seems it was part intentional by the game so wasn't wasted time etc in the end. Bet that makes no sense to anyone

Comment

even with slightly less than 9 hours it's a decent game lengh. really looking forward to the game. just need some time. damn Destiny!

who is the dev behind the game?

Comment

Working...
                              X