No announcement yet.

Hotline Miami 2 (PC, PS3/4/Vita crossbuy) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer (unhelpfully): both, mate. The score-attack 'purity' of the first game is definitely compromised by the larger levels that kick-in around a third of the way through the game, as you get mullered from off-screen a lot. Once you get over that, though, and start doing the same back, it gets enjoyable again.
    Last edited by Golgo; 21-03-2015, 08:12.

Comment

The boat stages have been driving me mental. One screen took me countless attempts and I almost got to a point of giving up completely. Finally did it. Was convinced it would be the end of the level but no. Another screen.

Then it crashed. Now my Vita won't turn on. But even if it does, will I have the patience to go through that one again?

Comment

Finished this now. Haven't got very much to add to forgoing thoughts.

Plot remained all over the place. Was it a dream, film, drug-fuelled hallucination, war-trauma psychosis, apocalyptic conspiracy? Yes and no to all those things separately and together.

The simple gameplay mechanic of the first game was, I think, stretched too far. Adding larger multi-stage levels, off-screen insta-deaths, enemy cover, more windows (clear view for insta-deaths from across the map) and more melee-only enemies, represented a poor way to extend the basic game mechanic, and it ended up feeling mostly unfair. Giving the player a smaller field of view (even when 'zooming') than enemies that can see and insta-kill you from any range, is spectacularly bad design. The fact you can lock-on to invisible enemies and 'see' them as an arrow on the fringes of the screen doesn't really alleviate this. Beating the game felt less like beating the game's systems and more like beating the designers' poor decisions. Other things thrown in to mix it up, e.g. dual wield and controling two characters at once, simply didn't work at all.

That said I enjoyed a good many of the levels despite this, e.g.

bank heist, 2nd jungle adventure, nightclub and especially the prison break

. Music was great and initial impact was great too, but overall an average and possibly quite broken game.
        Last edited by Golgo; 24-03-2015, 07:18.

Comment

How many levels are there? I'm not 100% sure I'm going to see this through. I'm just after the mission where

you play a different character to clear out each floor

Comment

25 in total. The level you're on is the last you'll see of 'the fans' so no more of those stupid twin swans. The next most frustrating level to come is the jail-break. That's a killer, although I quite enjoyed it. But otherwise it evens off a bit, to be honest. Only one more instance of the cover-shooter stupidity of the ship (heist level). Some quite short levels to come too, just two stages long. I cleared the last 5 levels in about an hour/hour and a half.

Comment

I'll stick with it then. That crash before really stung and sucked some of the will to go on. But I'll press ahead.

Comment

Just finished this. I have NO idea what was happening. It just flitted around from character to character seemingly randomly, ending with someone who seemed to have little or no relevance to most of the game. And hilarious that one of the first credits up was Story By.

I don't know what to make of this game. I didn't enjoy most of it at all and yet I still kept playing it. Why? No idea. I think it had brief moments of interesting but large chunks of frustration which seemed to be down to very poor design. Once it finally clicked, I far preferred the original. I actually enjoyed playing through that. I also forgave the whacked out sequence of events that in most games would come together to form a story because it seemed drenched in a surreal atmosphere. This one had longer cut scene bits and I couldn't help think that there was an attempt to tell some sort of story but it never came together.

This did have some fantastic music, which is probably the most positive thing I could say about it.

Funny that for all the sexual violence controversy that one bit in the opening scene that was shown back in the day is the only part of the game that even hints people have sex other than one character having a mother.
                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 29-03-2015, 19:46.

Comment

Storywise I think they're all

broken ex-military vets, spec ops US unit vs Ruskies. The ruskies ending up as hoods in Miami and the spec ops guys being the masked killers.

As the starting point. If so it was a crappy bit of context/justification to the pure, unreasoned violence of first game. Out of curiosity I went back and re-did levels that really annoyed me first time and got much higher scores so maybe there's a modicum of skill in the game, but I've deleted it now.

Comment

Working...
                  X