No announcement yet.

Question about importing PS2 system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's not 100% reliable, but useful for some games. I wanted to run Outrun 2 SP off my PS2's internal HDD, but unfortunately some music tracks don't play which is a shame. Once it's run into a BGM track it can't play, the game won't play any BGM at all until I completely restart the system.

I like to keep wear on the laser down so it's slightly annoying.

Comment

Long as your discs are clean there's no real reason to fear laser wear, surely.

Comment

My white PS2 has been used regularly for years and is fine.

Comment

As has mine...still you never know. Plus it's the convenience of selecting from a list instead of switching discs.

Comment

Even if the laser is fine, it is a mechanical device and there will be wear and tear on the gears and servos.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Yah, only shortfall.

Debug unit ftw.
              Yes indeed but as I mentioned before it's not totally 100% compatible with all games as it depends on what region the debug unit was set too. It work with 100% of the matching region and about 99.8% of none matching region games.

But yeah it's the best way to go.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Long as your discs are clean there's no real reason to fear laser wear, surely.
              It wears anyway as the PS2 was such a poorly built machine, even the CD laser on my slim is going despite it not being used that much.
              Last edited by S3M; 03-03-2015, 09:59.

Comment

I've still got a launch SCPH-70003 going strong, despite them being supposedly flawed.

Only machine I've ever had the laser die on was my PlayStation 1 that fell off of my chest of drawers, maybe I just don't play them as much as other people? Who knows.

Comment

I had a stack of 10+ PS2s at one point all with dead DVD lasers. All were unchipped so it wasn't due to reading writables and often the CD side still worked. It also wasn't a focus issue but mainly burned out focus chips.

The best option for me is the FMCB + HDD and a USB caddy to load out of region games using WinHIIP on a PC.
                  A bit of a faff to setup but pretty stable once working.
                  You can also use the 'hold eject' trick to load some discs using HD Loader.

Comment

Not sure whether I should be glad my fears weren't unfounded or not.

Currently I run a copy of HD Loader from a CD-R and boot some games from an internal IDE HDD. Others I play from the original disc. Ought to switch to OPL as that might fix some of the issues HDL has with some games, I couldn't seem to find a CD bootable version though and I'm loathe to bother with going into an ELF launcher menu first. I have done it in the past to tinker about with GSM loader, however I never got particularly good results with it.

Comment

It is easiest to boot HDL from the FreeMCBoot menu.

Comment

I'll look into playing imports off a hard drive if I can't get an imported slim.

Comment

Open PS2 Loader works with retail discs. I had a FreeMcBoot SCPH-50000 with a 750GB HDD in it, which I used as a jukebox for almost my entire collection. I stripped the install of everything barring OPL. I even reprogrammed the OPL software to swap the O and X functions around. Critical Velocity was the only game that ever gave me trouble, so I just ran it from the disc for the three minutes that I played of it.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

back on the scene JOe? where have you been?

Comment

Nope. Just passing through.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                Open PS2 Loader works with retail discs. I had a FreeMcBoot SCPH-50000 with a 750GB HDD in it, which I used as a jukebox for almost my entire collection. I stripped the install of everything barring OPL. I even reprogrammed the OPL software to swap the O and X functions around. Critical Velocity was the only game that ever gave me trouble, so I just ran it from the disc for the three minutes that I played of it.
                                Retail discs of the region of your console, sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X