Resident Evil Revelations 2 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil Revelations 2 review

Pre orderd this on PS4 a while back.As you know this is a four part chapter release on a weekly basis,with a retail disc release in March.
    The graphics are very gawdy looking but they do the job fine.The game engine seems silky smooth and the sound effects are great,complete with cheesy dialogue
    The first chapter sees Claire Redfield and her accomplice Moira Burton.Claire has the firearms,with Moira using a torch to find items.I really like the way the characters have been created to compliment each other.First chapter sees the two stuck on a penal colony and have to escape.Moira's torch soon becomes a commodity that Claire needs throughout the chapter.
    I have completed the first chapter in around 3 hours,I like to have a nose about
    On completing the chapter,various unlocks are available which enhances the games length quite a bit.
    The main unlock is Raid mode which really is the jewel in the crown in this game.Your Character has his or her room with an upgrade table for your weapons,a mannequin to upgrade your character and a jukebox to unlock the weapons you find during missions.Raid mode is very polished,plenty of weapons to unlock,levels to reveal and one of my favourites,figurines to unlock on purchase from the money awarded during the missions(I'm like that).
    All in all,Resident Evil Revelations 2 is definitely on the right road for Capcom to steer the series back on form,hell Raid mode is worth the price on its own
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I just played the raid mode for a bit, but i think there is an issue with the stage medals. There is one medal you get for completing the stage under or at the recommended level and another for earning all medals in one run. Problem is if your character is beyond that recommended level you won't be able to earn those anymore, unless you switch to character with a lower level. Maybe I am missing something here...
    BTW think there is a bug with the PC version if you run it higher that 60fps, bascially the framerate goes up and down. If it is locked to 60, it work fine.

Comment

Done the first half of ch1...took me an hour and I got a C. Always was poo at Resi games!
      Died 5 times before I worked out what to do during the escape

Comment

I've finished chapter 1on casual and normal.Its good you get choice of survival and invisible modes.Haven't tried these yet can't get off raid mode

Comment

Played through it last night and quite enjoyed it. It is very definitely a standard horror shooter and ?20 is the right price for it. It really doesn't do anything interesting but is perfectly playable and fine.

They've gone back to a more Resi 4/5 combat system but never open up the levels to exploit it. Resi 5 had amazing non-linear combat arenas where the AI could flourish. In this they are hemmed into corridors and square rooms. As such it feels like the product of a scared Capcom. They have Resi 4 combat (though it doesn't feel as precise and deliberate) but in narrow Resi 1 corridors. They have the dodge from Alan Wake but not much room to use it. They have the crouch from Last of Us/Evil Within but varely any reason to use it. The game is caught between two different styles of Resi with shoehorned features from other games.

It isn't bad but it isn't excellent. This is the kind of B tier game we lamented losing last generation. Unfortunately like other B tier games (e.g. Binary Domain) it doesn't do anything special and doesn't have much charm but it is at least priced appropriately.

I am more than happy with the amount of game you get for the price I paid and I'm looking forward to digging more into Raid Mode.

As a side note, they have cut costs by reusing assets from previous Resi games (the breakable items barrels from Resi 4 and 5 for example) but they have really tried to save costs by giving every player character that can shoot guns the same rig and animation set. This means that King of Burly Men Barry Burton uses the same animation set as Claire. They have different body sizes and it is really obvious in certain bits that Barry is using animations intended for a female character.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
            I've finished chapter 1on casual and normal.Its good you get choice of survival and invisible modes.Haven't tried these yet can't get off raid mode
            I started on normal...earned about 7000 BP and have spent it on on upgrades so my next run should be easier... Also now I know how to deal with the rushing mob!

Its cheap and cheerful but it was good to get back into the Resi universe, Japanese voices to ease the pain on my ears! I liked playing as Moira too, scanning for gems, dazzling the zombies and braining them with the crowbar. Have upgraded it 2 levels now so she will be even more effective.

Comment

I've upgraded quite a few categories,some are maxed out.I too like Moira as a character.Love scanning for gems.Nice to see capcom left the medals in to hunt down through the levels as well

Comment

I kind of expected bad things for this but I've just finished Chapter 1 and it holds up pretty well. It's an ugly budget looking game and doesn't attempt to inject horror into proceedings but it's decent fun. Without doubt though the co-op partner mechanic is the weakest aspect in yet another RE. Capcom really, really needs to get over this mechanic.

Comment

This is obviously low budget. I suspect this started out as either a Vita or 3DS project.

Animations and shooting are very poor (do heads even pop?), but otherwise this a fun romp for its low price. There are reasons to replay it and Raid mode is rather fun. Even if you just buy Ep1, you'll get a decent amount of hours out of Story and Raid.

But this mainly rides on its low price, because the graphics are incredibly poor and the level design is uninspired and flat. Shooting and kicking feel nothing like RE4 onward.
                  Last edited by Panta Rhei; 26-02-2015, 13:50.

Comment

From the opening credits:

Level designer: Shinji Mikami

Comment

Yeah, I saw that and assumed it was someone with the same name. Quite the coincidence though.

Comment

So I've played through the first episode now. While it is quite lightweight it does remind me of the first Revelations - I thought that had a lot of replayability. I like it, it feels like a bit of a B-Movie but that's no bad thing.

The CGI of Claire looks particularly awful though...

Comment

Anyone had a crack of ep2 yet?
                          My internet is struggling at the mo...keeps cutting out so am still not finished downloading. Not even psn to blame for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
                            Anyone had a crack of ep2 yet?
                            My internet is struggling at the mo...keeps cutting out so am still not finished downloading. Not even psn to blame for a change.
                            Only had a quick go this morning, looks more darker than episode 1.

Comment

I've been really enjoying this, I must be quite close to the end of episode 2, it's really stepped up the tension and so far so good. I've perhaps prematurely given it an 8/10 here, but it's been pretty solid and enjoyable.

the biggest criticism though it doesn't feel even remotely Resident Evil. It drops some names here and there, but in no way does it actually feel part of the series. I'd really like them to make another game set during the Raccoon City/S.T.A.R.S era complete with illogical puzzles, but until then this is way better then 6 and I mean WAYYYYYY better!

Comment

Working...
                              X