Touch Kirby Super Rainbow - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Wii U review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touch Kirby Super Rainbow - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Wii U review

I started playing this tonight. I've done the first few levels so far.

If you played the first Kirby game on the DS, where you drew rainbow paths for him to bounce his merry way along, you will be right at home with this game. He follows the path - you can touch him to speed him up and make him knock over enemies, as opposed to losing health when he comes into contact with them. Or you can inflate him, to get him through otherwise unbreakable blocks.

So far it has been very easy, although I missed a few collectables. Everything is done with the stylus on the gamepad, but he has followed exactly the path he should have done. He responds to the rainbows much better than, say, Yoshi did in Yoshi's Touch and Go.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous. Everything really does look as if it could have been made out of clay.

Will be playing more levels tonight, but enjoyed what I have played very much.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Done a few more levels. The relative lack of control over Kirby compared to moving him with the D-pad has meant that some of the enemies are trickier to kill than they should have been. And it is mildly annoying when you fall into a doorway by mistake and have to go through it, when there still collectables that you haven't picked up yet. But good fun.

I am really impressed by the graphics, not just in this game, on the supposedly under-powered Wii U.

Comment

Finished it last week. Great graphics. Fantastic level design with (as usual in Nintendo games) so many different ideas that would be great for plenty of different indie games. I didn't liked bosses. Agree that lack of direct control over Kirby is bit tricky at the beginning but then it gets under your skin.

8/10 in my opinion. I will not be playing for 100%...

Comment

I just need to

defeat the final boss without taking damage and then complete the last challenge room it unlocks

, it's turned out to be a real unexpected challenge to go for that 100% completion but I'm nearly there.

I get why people don't like the imprecision of the controls/gameplay but as a big fan of 2D platfomers it's a nice change of pace from NSMBU/NSLU and DKC: Tropical Freeze before Yoshi's Woolly World arrives. The physics are also very usable so there is actually a lot of control

(until you get to the challenge rooms where four Kirbys are bouncing around, that's just chaos)

Most of all I'll take away that this is a fantastic looking game artistically and graphically, it's a shame you don't look at the TV to experience it in all it's glory when playing but I don't mind that in this case since I don't get on with the 3DS and it's nice to have a game like this come to Wii U.

7/10
        Last edited by Pikate; 20-06-2015, 19:56.

Comment

Are the touch controls mandatory?

Comment

They are but if your playing co-op the 2nd player will use the tradition control method with Bandanna Dee:-

It is a fun game which gets your brain thinking a little differently to other platformers. Epic Yarn and Kirby's Adventure are the better traditional platformers though if you have not already played them.
            Last edited by 'Press Start'; 21-06-2015, 20:42.

Comment

Working...
            X