Dying light PS4/XBOX ONE/PC review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dying light PS4/XBOX ONE/PC review

Playing this on PS4,game engine is 1080p 30fps.Lighting is impressive as is the day/night cycle.Atmosphere is superb with the tension ramping up at night.This is where the game becomes are real survival challenge as the zombies are faster and more powerful than in the day.
    Control feels second nature as you run over roof tops,timing your leaps from roof edge to edge.The feeling of running and vaulting obstacles are really well done.I've played around 4hrs and my character skills are starting to take effect.Special mention to your character's upgrade tree as this seems to be well implemented.Early missions are simple go and fetch affairs.Safe houses need to be conquered first before activating them.
    I was never a dead island fan and was sceptical on purchasing this but can honestly say I'm glad I did.Superb atmos,excellent movement of your character when you start to upgrade,great weapons customisation and awesome zombie squelching
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Great game so far, i think, but i thought i was playing mirrors edge with zombies driung the tuturial which is a good thing, but i assume the reason not many are buying is that crazy price off the UK store, with no disc yet available.

but coloured me impressed after the first 2 hours, great stuff

Comment

I've done a few night missions now and these are ****ty offers double XP but a hell of a lot more dangerous.
      The weapons crafting is great especially when you start unlocking your character level.Love it when you get a power upgrade and sit there contemplating which one to unlock.
      Well impressed overall with the game mechanics and game engine as the open world is impressive and hey it's even got Easter eggs to seek out

Comment

I'm very early on into the game, just finding my feet within the city now the reigns are off but so far... if I'm being brutally honest, I'm finding it a little bit meh. The parkour aspects worth fine enough and aren't too dissimilar to that in Mirror's Edge (though with less fluidity and style) and the game seems more solidly built than Dead Island. Flip side is the game seems to have replaced vehicles with parkour and... well, that's it. It's Dead Island... but in a less appealing location. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the game so far, it's just currently also feeling like something I've played to death already and will have forgotten about once completed. Hopefully it will click more soon as it really is a more solidly built title than its predecessor, just needs to be more than it currently is in the early sections.

Comment

Your summary sounds like a couple of the reviews at the bottom end of the scale on Metacritic

Dying Light allows you traverse an open world mired into chaos and destruction. In this environment, you scrap for survival against an array of enemies as the infected are not the only threat: accosting other desperate human beings is typically the only way to get precious supplies.

Wide variation in review scores on there and sites I wouldn't rely on are the ones scoring it highly.
          Read the Devs were slow sending out codes for reviewers but still expect to see some more trusted reviews online tomorrow.

Comment

I like what they've done with the night time sections, there's a very real sense of danger. I think my initial feelings of apprehension about the game are pretty much just down to how similar it is to a series I've already played plenty. I imagine anyone coming in more fresh or from being huge lovers of Dead Island would love it

Comment

Eurogamer review is up 7/10. I for one will be waiting for the physical release, not spending that much on a digital copy personally.

The name may have changed but Techland's follow up to Dead Island offers a familiar but less charming zombie-mashing experience.

Comment

Yup, pretty much nails it. If you get it for less than rrp it's worthwhile enough. PC ?20 for the win, glad I switched formats for it. Checked my progress against a walkthrough and 12hrs for the main campaign seems about right

Comment

I've spent about 5hrs mooching around and collecting supplies
                  Started to make an impact on my characters attributes now which for me gives you that satisfaction with powering up

Comment

Ignore, my mistake over One price.
                    Last edited by VR46; 31-01-2015, 07:12.

Comment

is the combat any better than in Dead Island? i remember it was really frustratingly cumbersome and repetitive, zombies took countless hits before finally going down, weapons broke frequently, firearms and ammo were absent for the most part in the game.

Comment

It's been a while since I last did Dead Island but at face value it feels pretty much the same. Killing enemies takes an age sometimes, I just did a section of the game which involves humans and a lot of indoor sequenced combat and it was without a question the worst bit of the game, if I wasn't already so far in I'd have quit right there, hopefully it was a one off. For the most part I end up just ignoring the Z's and if forced to fight try and use an environmental work around to defeat the enemy as you can easily break through 2-3 weapons taking one enemy down very slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                          is the combat any better than in Dead Island? i remember it was really frustratingly cumbersome and repetitive, zombies took countless hits before finally going down, weapons broke frequently, firearms and ammo were absent for the most part in the game.
                          You were obviously playing it wrong then. Most zombies in DI could be knocked down first time with a jumping kick, then easily killed with any weapon with a high impact level.

Comment

About 8 or so hours in and to be honest I'm done. The last few missions I've found to be excruciating and I've too much stuff I'll enjoy more sitting around unplayed to stick with it as it's clearly a set design throughout and I'm bored as I play.

For me it's a rock solid 5/10 job as once the parkour aspect novelty wears off there's nothing more to it to hold my interest. However, keeping my objective cap on I'll happily say that there'll be peeps who end up really enjoying it if it's very much their cup of tea as it is Dead Island and that found it's audience.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                              You were obviously playing it wrong then. Most zombies in DI could be knocked down first time with a jumping kick, then easily killed with any weapon with a high impact level.
                              i know, i played the first Dead Island to completion. but this knock down move didn't kill the zombies, you had to rely on the instant kill stomp or have a high level weapon. i get that they focussed on melee combat but i would have loved a bit more shooting fun. some firearm and melee combos would have been great too.

Comment

Working...
                              X