Biohazard/Resident Evil: Remake HD Remaster review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biohazard/Resident Evil: Remake HD Remaster review

PS4 version The PS3 version comes for free with this too which is a nice touch.

Finished the Game Cube version of this and still own Biohazard Remake, really enjoyed that and what they did still looks good today. Hence the HD Remaster looking great even though the backgrounds are static and not full 3D aka Code Veronica they look really nice .

Love the way you can change the language to Japanese which is good practice. 5.1 mix sounds brilliant, can really hear the difference, forgot how good the atmosphere was in this.

Lighting seems much better than the GC version and some rooms have apparently been completely redone. Fiddled with controls a lot looking at my Game Cube Biohazard manual seems Type C is as close to GC control as you can get Z or in this case R1 for map.

Character models and items look brilliant much more detailed send Capcon made quite an effort here although Cutscenes look directly lifted form the GC.

Regards to display thought I was gonna go with original at first but went for wide which looks good, in my opinion original seems a bit boxed in, love the choice.

Yes they seem to have given Jill breast physics not quite sure why do not remember them moving in the GC version I have.

Alt controls are very nice. Tank controls feel very weird which is strange as I was playing Dino Crisis about 6 months ago and did not notice so much. Gonna keep with the original controls though as a fun challenge.

Not sure what the difficulties mean in Japanese back in the day and could not read any art the time so must have choose the middle option.

Mountain climb
    Hike.. Says : Not too strenuous. (Does his translate as normal?)
    Walk (Easy)

Game seems as good as it always was and a lot better in places. Seems very slow paced compared to games nowadays like Evil Within for example but it is nice to have a different style to play on the new consoles as there is not much like it game wise today.

PS4 version The PS3 version comes for free with this too which is a nice touch.

Finished the Game Cube version of this and still own Biohazard Remake, really enjoyed that and what they did still looks good today. Hence the HD Remaster looking great even though the backgrounds are static and not full 3D aka Code Veronica they look really nice .

Love the way you can change the language to Japanese which is good practice. 5.1 mix sounds brilliant, can really hear the difference, forgot how good the atmosphere was in this.

Lighting seems much better than the GC version and some rooms have apparently been completely redone. Fiddled with controls a lot looking at my Game Cube Biohazard manual seems Type C is as close to GC control as you can get Z or in this case R1 for map.

Character models and items look brilliant much more detailed send Capcon made quite an effort here although Cutscenes look directly lifted form the GC.

Regards to display thought I was gonna go with original at first but went for wide which looks good, in my opinion original seems a bit boxed in, love the choice.

Yes they seem to have given Jill breast physics not quite sure why do not remember them moving in the GC version I have.

Alt controls are very nice. Tank controls feel very weird which is strange as I was playing Dino Crisis about 6 months ago and did not notice so much. Gonna keep with the original controls though as a fun challenge.

Not sure what the difficulties mean in Japanese back in the day and could not read any art the time so must have choose the middle option.

Mountain climb
    Hike.. Says : Not too strenuous. (Does his translate as normal?)
    Walk (Easy)

Game seems as good as it always was and a lot better in places. Seems very slow paced compared to games nowadays like Evil Within for example but it is nice to have a different style to play on the new consoles as there is not much like it game wise today.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Just getting to the lab now on my first playthrough, the difficultly is actually about the same, I think I was just rusty.

Might get the trophy for under 5 hours on this run if I'm lucky- but my memory isn't what it was it seems and making rookie mistakes- like not bringing the crank when you leave the mansion a second time, and forgetting where the final use of the helmet key is too fight Yawn.

It's the first of many playthroughs, so I'll sure I'll sort myself out!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I remember on the Cube being able to do a speed run with Jill a good few times, the fastest time I ever got was 4 hours and 22 mins. But that was when I knew everything back to front, puzzles and all. When you know how to do Resi, it turns into an incredibly short, (but still great) game.

Comment

Finished it at 4 hours 55 minutes, and that was saving Barry and Chris. Not too bad for my first run on Mountain climbing. Next I'll do Chris on the same difficulty and then look to get the under 3 hours/no save run done.

Can a mod move all this game chat to the first play thread that's been created? Ta!

Comment

Did the extra once again mode unlock? I'm curious if Capcom left them all in or weither they are going to take al of the bonus modes to flog as DLC i wouldn't put it past them.

One dangerous zombie mode added extra tension as you never knew where that git would appear and one wrong move and instant game over.

Comment

Same here,I'm struggling with remembering where things are even with the map
            Mind you 13 years is a long time to remember and my reactions are a lot worse now at 44

Comment

Once again, real survivor, hard mode- they're all in. Not sure about one dangerous zombie and invisible mode as you need to finish both characters- only another 30 odd mins and I'll be done with Chris so I'll tell you for definate- but they Definately seem to all be there

Comment

Ah thanks for letting me know, good to hear that the modes are in, i'll guess that if the first ones are in the rest should be.

Definately worth playing in invisible mode, crimson heads become a thousand times more frightening. Burn them, burn them allllllllll.

Comment

Can't you just see where the dust is on the floor and aim in the general direction? I recall that working well haha!

It's clever though, in that it gets you listening to sounds cues a lot more than you do in the main game.

Real survivor is the toughie though, item chests that don't connect :/

Comment

Yeah the dust is the only clue besides the sound however when a zombie is playing dead (lol) though you can't see it as i don't think the ones laying down doing the pretend "i'm not going to jump up and run after you trying to bite off your face off" make any dust or noise until you set them off. Been a long time though so i can't remember if they appear on the floor visible but i'm pretty sure they don't. Walking past one and then hearing that roar and the thudding footsteps as they get closer was bad enough when they were visible.

Better start making a mental note of where they drop just in case, although if i'm dropping them i'm going to be BBQ them, no suprise pop up party for me thanks lol.

Comment

I suppose you can just memorise the enemy spawns as you do the layout. It's invisible hunters that scare me. They're bad enough when you can see them :|

Comment

Yeah that's true as they can 1 hit kill you with that annoying decapitation. Looking forward to getting hold of a copy, i have them all on GC but this new update i'm dying to see. Been a long time since i got excited over a biohazard game thanks to Capcom screwing the series up.

Comment

I've been playing this myself the last few days but I have to say that Capcom could have used a bit more effort in some places. For example, the CG movies look like ass. Why not remake them in real time? Also the item polygon modles in the stats screen are low resolution. These little things scream laziness to me. Still, the audio is great however I'm not a fan of the wide-screen mode. Looks too zoomed in (which is basically what they've done) so it's not true wide-screen. I play in 4:3 and to be honest it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

I've now had a proper sit down and played a bit. I decided I'm just gonna go through on easy and try with the knife only. I've started the game so many times in the past, the original and the remake but never got far with any.

I really do hope Zero is next. That game was amazing and I would definitely try for the platinum in that.

Comment

Finished my first run with Jill last night. Fantastic game.

Despite playing this on the Cube I remember very little of the changes made. I'm a lot more familiar with the PS1 game so this kept surprising me with different item placement and different mansion layout. Going to do a Chris run next.

Some of the FMV is really bad but it isn't consistent which is weird. The intro and ending look fine in an upscaled GC movie way but the scenes where the water drains from the pools around the garden and lab look terrible. Maybe they didn't have decent quality videos of them? Wer they bad on the Cube? Maybe they were compressed to hell to get them on to a GC disk?

Comment

Working...
                              X