This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryss View Post
    The half-foreigner would always be the outcast, and I doubt anyone else could have played it better. Ancient Japan was always supposed to be a place of monsters, and creatures like Tengu are something rooted in folklore. Seems a shame to see Keanu and not give him the benefit of the doubt, but each to their own I guess.
    It's not even the whole "white saviour" thing which people sometimes complain about. I mean, I love The Last Samurai despite not really being a fan of the Cruiser.

I'm not going to pretend I'm some kind of literary expert who was offended by the film (I'm not that pretentious; I was only introduced to the story of the 47 from the Robert DeNiro movie Ronin, like most people), but I was pretty familiar with it before watching the movie (perhaps that's the problem).

What I disliked was that they took a very dramatic real story and superimposed supernatural events on top of it, using their presence as the justification for centering the film on the "outcast" (Keanu). It would be like making a movie about King Arthur, but randomly the film chronicles his adventures from the perspective of an Indian traveler who has come to England.

I mean, you could do that... But why would you?

I'll drop it now in any case because clearly I went into it with a bit of an agenda, so I'm obviously biased.

Comment

Difficult not to be biased though, and I had no familiarity with the story beforehand. I just generally don't think Keanu can act, nor think that Hollywood can make "asian" movies in general, let alone Japanese ones. Doubt I'll be able to get the wife to watch it though.

Comment

I saw GB2 on Sunday. Venkman was quite annoying. He had silly lines and was just more restrained and funnier in GB1. Luckily Janozs was hilarious.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        a movie about King Arthur, but randomly the film chronicles his adventures from the perspective of an Indian traveler who has come to England.

I mean, you could do that... But why would you?
        Because it would be WICKED. Someone should crowdfund this.

Comment

Thread locked.
          New thread here:
          Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Working...
          X