No announcement yet.

Singapore for a vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked one. It's an air-tight sealed plastic container with 18 boxed N64 games inside. They all seem perfect. Some of them are sealed in plastic though (not the original seal, just a plastic wrap the stores sellotape around them like in Japan), and some of them are wrapped loosely in bubble wrap. I can see that the silica crystals or whatever they are are almost completely saturated with moisture inside the pack though, so maybe it's time I replaced those. They been in this container for maybe a year now. Just for reference, the humidity today in Taipei is 47% and in Singapore it's 52%, so it's comparable at the moment, but I'm not sure if the peak humidity for the year will be wildly different.

EDIT: I didn't realise Dave was storing his stuff in cardboard boxes. That's a bad move. Even in the UK I've wrecked the inlays for most of my PSP and DS games by storing them in cardboard boxes in a damp room. I think sealed plastic containers is safe enough for Singapore and I'll be sticking with them.

EDIT AGAIN: I should also point out that I do have some items NOT in sealed containers, just in drawers or cupboards or whatever, such as a boxed Wonderswan, Virtual Boy etc, and I haven't noticed any humidity damage to them. I did notice mould on a leather Game Boy slip case though, and checked everything else frantically and thoroughly, but it was all fine as far as I could tell. Again, this is only in Taiwan though, not Singapore. I'll have to report back if and when I move.
    Last edited by noobish hat; 29-06-2015, 09:08.

Comment

Are work shifting you here?

Comment

No, my wife is looking for work there.

Comment

For me, yes there's an opportunity that has come up. Still working on it, could be later thus year or early next.

Comment

Thanks noobish. Good to know.

Comment

Thread bump! I'm set to visit Singapore between April and June for 5 days. Among these three months, what's the best? According to Wikipedia the weather is constant throughout the year, and in May there's Vesak Day, if that's a thing worth seeing/experiencing.
              Suggestions?

Comment

[MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] will take you to a great seafood joint. If he's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  Thread bump! I'm set to visit Singapore between April and June for 5 days. Among these three months, what's the best? According to Wikipedia the weather is constant throughout the year, and in May there's Vesak Day, if that's a thing worth seeing/experiencing.
                  Suggestions?
                  Weather is the same everyday pretty much. Hot and muggy. Temps range from 22-35 daily. Humidity averages 75. April and May are supposedly the hottest months. In my opinion its either hot or ****ing hot so not much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] will take you to a great seafood joint. If he's still there.
                    I won't be. I'll be in Holland by that point.

I'm going to miss the food, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

I'm going to the Netherlands for work in a couple of weeks :P

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                      Weather is the same everyday pretty much. Hot and muggy. Temps range from 22-35 daily. Humidity averages 75. April and May are supposedly the hottest months. In my opinion its either hot or ****ing hot so not much difference.
                      So June by a small margin, so small that it won't matter a bit? I'll see the best prices between April and May then, to escape the coldish and rainy months here.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

So are you all set up then to move? Congrats

Comment

Not really mate, no. I still need to hand in my resignation which will be done on Monday. I'm just in the midst of contacting letting agents to find us a place - it's a little tricky as we can't exactly turn up for a viewing prior to arrival.

Whatever happens I'll be going out first with my wife joining me later. That way she can mail me stuff piece by piece. She also needs to speak to the Malaysian authorities about bringing our dog along with us.

Joey is okay with the move, she's just eager to find a decent spinning instructor ASAP once she finally arrives.

Comment

lol, good priorities!

Comment

Does anyone know for portable wifi hotspots, or is free wifi commonplace throughout Singapore?

Comment

Working...
                              X