[PS3/4] Guilty Gear Xrd review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PS3/4] Guilty Gear Xrd review

Surprised that noone already started a thread on this, so here I go, after few matches with Paddy.

I've started off from the basics, completing the tutorial mode, which covers from movement to roman cancels, then moving to VS matches against the CPU, mainly using Ramlethal.
    At level 2 the CPU isn't particularly tough for a noob like me, and gave me enough room to try out Ram's different moves and figure out some basic combos.
    While playing with Paddy, I said that she plays similar to Nu/Lambda, but in BlazBlue terms (the only beat'em'up I can use as a comparison) she's probably closer to Kokonoe, although Ram doesn't rely too much on traps. She is similar to Nu in the cute-murdering-girl-with-big-swords way, I wonder if ArcSys will introduce a Nu/Lambda colour palette for her.

I was surprised on how the online mode is structured in Xrd: you first select the character you want for ranked and player matches, a server, a lobby, and then create a room, where you'll wait for players to join.
    Once you are in a room, you have to confirm you're ready by moving your icon to one of the four ready areas, and again wait for your opponent to do the same.
    In BB ChronoPhantasma you only had to select a character and put yourself "available" for ranked matches, and be able to play some single-player modes while waiting. It was a bit cumbersome, but it was way better than the system in Xrd. The room interface in Xrd is a bit of a mess as well, and not immediately clear, a lot of button presses are required to become active, and is frankly a lot of work if you want a couple of quick ranked matches. I also haven't found the option to invite someone directly into your room, you have to rely on PSN's messages.
    The game performed admirably in the matches I had, and goes so far in displaying the current lag (in frames); the worst lag I experienced was 5 frames, the average was 3; the room only had two European people in it, and the connection quality was rated as 1 or 2 (4 being the best).

Single player modes are barebone; maybe BlazBlue spoiled me, but here you have MOM and VS matches. I don't really count Story mode in as there are no matches to play, you just start Story mode and watch the cutscenes; all cutscenes are voiced and animated (either with in-game models or hand drawn), and are a vast improvement over BB's wall of texts, but at least BB had different paths and few matches in between the story, something completely lacking in Xrd.
    Same goes for the gallery, just character art, voices, and a whole section dedicated to unlocking characters...only that Sin is the only character that can be unlocked.

I can't really comment on the mechanics themselves (unless you want a string of "compared to BlazBlue"), but ancillary modes are a far cry to what ArcSys offered since the BB Continuum Shift.
    If you see me online, drop a PM for a match.

My copy arrived this week for PS4. Only had a few quick games so can't really say too much on it. Played a decent bit of the tutorial, then got impatient and jumped in to some arcade matches. First things first, I think it's a beautiful looking game, I actually think I'd like to watch someone else playing it for a bit so that I could take it in a bit more. I'm not very well versed on the Guilty Gear games, I love the Dreamcast one which is the only one I've played to any extent, and there was another I played a bit of on PS2 but can't remember what it was called? I love the DC one, and my initial impressions are that Xrd isn't as accessible gameplay wise for someone like me who likes fighting games, but is in no way great at them. I'll have more time to spend with it next weekend when I get back, so hopefully it'll win me over then.
    Last edited by Colin; 11-01-2015, 16:07.

Comment

i am a bit tempted by this game but knowing arc systems track record i will try to wait

Comment

$24 on PS4 or $20 on PS3 in the current US PSN flash sale. I snapped up the PS4 version.

Blimey, it's a looker isn't it!? It took a second for me to click that the characters were fully 3D rather than sprites and I am blown away by the pyrotechnics.

Haven't played a huge amount yet but the couple of matches I have played in Arcade mode were fast and fluid.

Looking forward to playing some more.

Anybody interested in playing online add me on PSN: teddymeowUK.

Comment

What's the core gameplay of this like? From the videos it seems to be pretty typical Guilty Gear X2-or-so faire (not that this is a bad thing), but with a amazing visual sheen.

I do really wish more home fighters went for interesting game mode ideas though.

Comment

XX is better.

Comment

16/17 quid for this is nothing to sneeze at so I've hastily slapped together a US account, will I have to go a 3rd party site to buy network cards or will a paypal account work (I use it amazon US occasionally, though it would be uk verified nowerdays I think)

Comment

Apparently not, providing you change your billing address to a US one. I've heard to change it to a Virginia address too as it dodges further taxes.

Let me know how it goes- I'm tempted myself by it!

Comment

I buy all my games from the U.S. store on ps4 and xbox one, I always use Amazon for cards, as long as you register a us address as a shipping address you should be fine, it always seems to accept my credit or debit cards, but be aware most charge for a U.S. transaction still

oh I live in Beverly hills as well, I wish 90210 as postcode

Comment

Shipping address or billing address?

Comment

I think the shipping address is critical, as when I select my uk one, it says cards only ship to US addresses , so I switch to my Beverly hills address and it goes through

Comment

Interested, as this is so cheap.

So just log into US Amazon, add a separate shipping and billing address to my existing credit card, select them before ordering- get the code by email- then switch them back?

Thanks for the help, I've never done this before, but it's cheaper than EBay

Comment

Yes just switch back when doing a UK order, easy as that , last year ps4 games at 59.99 were around 36 quid, they are now around 39, but that's still a good 8 or 9 pound cheaper for the order 1886 as far as I know, plus my son gets all his games free on his ps4 when I buy the, so he popular with the other kids as he has all the latest game

Comment

Yeah, I use a hotel in Seattle for this.

Comment

paypal took the order but I think sony blocked on the confirmation side once it returned from the PP website back to PSN. Guess i'll go the amazon route with store cards, slightly annoying i'll have to get $30 of credit instead of an exact amount. Ah well still cheap and the games not out in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                              X