Halo 5 Guardians Beta XBOX ONE review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halo 5 Guardians Beta XBOX ONE review

Played a few games of this last night, it was working better than MCC!

There are 2 maps at the moment, but they will make 7 available as of the 29th.

It feels super smooth, smoother than any of the MCC games, they must have tweaked the controls to behave better in a 60fps environment or there is less motion blur or something.

The game immediately feels like Halo, the weapons all feel a little sharper and more precise. The first few games on the dedicated servers felt really tight and everything was hitting exactly what it should.

There are quite few more abilities to play with now, Sprint makes a return from Halo 4 as a default ability, as does Halo 4's thrust loadout which now has it's own button.
    You can use this to dodge left or right, forwards or back at any time, on the ground or in mid air. Being able to avoid a couple of shots when you have been caught unaware with this ability will change the way that people play the game. This ability has maybe a 10 second cool down.

When you use your weapon's zoom whilst in mid air, you actually hover momentarily which allows you to line up a shot. Jumping while zoomed behaves as it always has in Halo games, jumping as normal.

The default control scheme for the game now has the zoom on the L trigger, so for those people that struggle to play Halo after playing Destiny, COD , Titanfall etc will find it much easier to hop in.

If you don't want to play Halo this way, like myself, there are all of the traditional control schemes available (bumper jumper FTW) and a Halo 4 scheme which brings the game back to being closer to the regular Halo controls with the new buttons and moves in place.

Unlike other FPS games which are designed to be fire down the scopes as a primary gameplay and then penalise you for hip fire.
    The scope behaves much as it always was, the spread of certain weapons becomes slightly tighter if you are looking through the scope, importantly the hip fire non-zoom combat of Halo seems to be intact.

There are a couple more moves that you can leverage, once you've been running for a few seconds and hit full speed from sprinting (which is indicated by a whooshing around the screen) you can either press crouch and you'll slide along the ground.

Alternatively you can press the melee and this will trigger a shoulder charge type melee attack that can knock a chunk of an enemie's health off.

Brilliant.

Excited

Comment

So far it's worked more solidly than the Collection so it was straight in to trying out a match. I like the new tweaks to the gameplay, it still feels like Halo but brings it a bit more up to date. It's somewhat rough looking but that's to be expected this early on and Halo 4's sublime looks more than make up any confidence that the full game will turn out a looker. The map was fairly standard but to be honest, for a very early beta... I din;t find much wrong or to be concerned about. Quite positive on this one.

Comment

One of the maps is a remake of Midship, which plays vastly different with the new moves.
        Just being able to sprint out of the front base ledge, boost across, clamber up and grab the sword within about 10 seconds of starting is eye opening. Traversal doesn't ruin the game as much as I thought it could same with the modified ADS, never thought I would say it's great to have the additional moves and unlike Reach they don't feel at all overpowered or out of place.

Comment

Some of this is genius. The inclusions are game changing and yet optional.

The ADS scoping is great and yet you can be just as proficient without it unless it's a ranged target. The Sprint is similar to halo 4 but the master stroke is your shields don't replenish whilst sprinting. Do you can move from A to B quickly but there is a risk to it. It's not a big issue in the levels on offer now but larger open levels I'm sure that'll come into play more.

All the weapons feel meaty and yet familiar. My only issue with the beta this far is there aren't any local servers here so there is lag. I'm struggling to find any other criticism. Cannot wait to try the expanded selection after Xmas.

In short this is excellent.

Comment

Have to say this is brilliant and already as smooth as butter and the main game is like a year away , bolds well

Comment

Been playing this a fair bit. It took about an hour for it to click for me, mainly because I was swapping the controls about to find what suited me the best. Graphics are a mute point as the game is still nearly a year off. As Team Andromeda points out the game runs really smoothly. There's a few dips but generally it's a solid 60fps.

Love how the game plays. I'd say it's a return to form after the disappointment of Reach and Halo4 which seemed to have too much going on.

Comment

There's a nasty bug in it right now where it's picking the wrong region servers for some people and that's really causing some bad lag issues.

The devs have confirmed it so I'm hoping they get a fix in before the end of the beta as its been ruining must Aussies experience with the game. Other than that the game is feeling great. The maps are well balanced, the controls are solid and it feels like halo.

If it's this good now then it should be really polished by launch.

Comment

am i missing something or is this just another boring competitive arena shooter? i hope MS has something more in store for the Halo 5 multiplayer because i don't see any new ideas here.

any word on co-op stuff yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                    am i missing something or is this just another boring competitive arena shooter
                    I'm pretty sure that it's not just you, but it is a beta of the Arena multiplayer component of Halo, so I'm not really sure what you were expecting. It actually says it on the title screen to make it extra clear.

I actually think that this is already on track to be the best Halo multiplayer yet, I'd like to see some big team vehicular combat too at a later date.

My prediction for the co-op is...
                    It's 2 player campaign, just like every other Halo game ever made.

Comment

last couple of halo games have been four player Co-op.

Comment

right, it's just a technical beta so maybe there is still hope 347 comes up with something more inventive. nonetheless i was expecting something more than just a few more moves to add extra mobility and verticality. if i want fast and chaotic run and gun action i already have the options of CoD and Titanfall.

yes, a 2-4 player co-op campaign looks like a sure bet in respect to the official introduction second protagonist Agent Locke. but i would rather prefer a beefed up Spartan Ops co-op that includes the customization options of the Firefight mode that was introduced with ODST. a return of the campaign theatre mode would also be welcome.

i just hope 347 doesn't get too obessesd about the 60fps. for arena multiplayer 720p will surely do but i want my campaign in clean and sharp 1080p and a steady 30Hz is really all that it needs.

Comment

Halo 5 studio head, Josh Holmes said this.

The Arena experience showcases the core Spartan abilities and mechanics that provide a foundation for other modes throughout the game. We’ll have more to discuss on the remainder of our multiplayer suite next year including larger, more vehicle-focused experiences.
                          Got to assume big team and objective game types to be announced later.
                          All the abilities you play in beta will be throughout the multiplayer game types.

Comment

..........well...................I might get a One if this turns out to be the best Halo ever.

Each box purchase has been with the respective Halo release so why break a habit now?

Nice first impressions.....

Comment

Maybe they screwed up the MCC so bad to make 5 look better than it is. Still not trusting 343 at halo 5 launch , their servers and 500 gig patches put me right off supporting them.

Comment

Working...
                              X