Captain Toad Treasure Tracker review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker review

What's not to like in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker?
    Well, tow things: only two levels of zoom ("good but might be a little closer at times" and "way too close") and that transitions between TV and gamepad almost have an audible "clunk" between them; of course, if you're playing on the gamepad, the second is not your concern.
    But why should you want to play it on the gamepad? This game looks gorgeous! It's very simple in nature, but you can feel the loving care that has gone into crafting the looks of this game, even if a lot of assets are carried over from Super Mario 3D World.

The game starts off very easy, and within an hour you should be done with the first episode, 18 missions plus three or four bonus stages. The goal of all missions is to collect a star and three diamonds; diamonds are optional, but are required to open certain stages; all missions have a hidden objective that's only revealed after completing the stage once (or fullfilling it, or course) giving stages some degree of replay value.
    Lives are rare compared to recent Mario games, awarded at 100 coins (but coins reset at each stage) or by 1UP mushrooms. This goes along well with the easiness of navigating through enemies and the two hits per life available (but I guess this is "for now"); so far the biggest obstacle has been the pont of view, sometimes you don't quite get at a glance if platforms are connected, below each other, or other similar arrangements; level layouts seem to be designed to avoid pitfalls except if they're very obvious, so it's something closer to getting used to the game rather than a flaw.
    But, should you die...you get this.
    Holy! That's scary considering the happy-go-lucky setting of this game! In fact, it's even scarier than Bowsers's emblem and laugh when you die in Mario games!

If you have SM3DW date on your Wii U you also unlock bonus levels from that game, reworked with extra stairs and pipes just for Captain Toad, where you can collect other starts.

So far, it's been great fun. Puzzles aren't particularly hard but fun to figure out, plus it puts to great use enemies and locations seen in Mario games.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Main game completed. Didn't get all the diamonds or the secret objectives and I still have the SM3DW stages to tackle (just did a couple), but I've seen the story to its end.
    Loved every moment of it, kinda disappointed that it's so short, I would have enjoyed playing more stages set in the same enviroments as the last stages. The other disappointment is that stages don't really get hard, getting the star is easy (if not for one stage, very near the end), with diamonds and other objectives requiring some more exploration and stage manipulation but nothing excessively difficult.
    I would love to see Captain Toad expanded with additional, more challenging levels.

Comment

Thanks I might pick this up.

Can you control the area with analog sticks or do you have to use gyro in the gamepad?

Comment

Both. Right analog for camera control, doubled by the gyro sensors. L and R are used for quick rotations. Even when the game asks you to aim with the gamepad, you can do it with the right stick.

Comment

Can't wait for this

Comment

Just sat down with this after it came in todays post. The main danger seems to be that it's so damned addictive that it isn't going to last long. I think I'm about halfway through the game in 3 hours? Just can't put it down, and that's 100% it as I go. Cracking little Xmas side dish if you get it for a decent price though

Comment

Even the soundtrack is pretty awesome.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-12-2014, 07:11. Reason: Post edited to avoid breaking forum rules.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can't post that here.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  I'm pretty sure you can't post that here.
                  If so, then post edited.

Comment

Briareos - how long is the main game?
                    It was meant to be a 'budget' title, which I'm guessing is because of length as opposed to quality but I'm not sure when ?35 constituted budget.

Comment

Based on last night I'd guesstimate its a 6 hour game to 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                        4-6 hours I guess, without 100%-ing every stage. Another guess is that will add 2-3 hours top.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                          It was meant to be a 'budget' title, which I'm guessing is because of length as opposed to quality but I'm not sure when ?35 constituted budget.
                          game are selling it for ?29.99, still not budget IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
                            game are selling it for ?29.99, still not budget IMHO
                            If the game is really that short, then I'd agree.

Probably a good thing that I was able to use my GAME reward points to get it for ?20.99.

Comment

?29.99 is ?20 under RRP but what is the RRP of Toad?

Comment

Working...
                              X