X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon Age Inquisition Review

First Impressions really.

I am playing the game on PS4.

My first reaction was that the game didn't look as good as Skyrim but I've not played that in a while. The graphics are more detailed on reflection but not as good as Far Cry 4. The characters are reasonably detailed.

First job on starting the game is the character creation. You have a choice of male or female, with a choice of race, and either going with a basic set of attributes or customizing (using presets... like Skyrim). You get to choose the Class of your character. I made my character a Human Mage.

Your first view of the world is a wintry region, very much like the snowy areas of Skyrim. As you go to your first mission remember to search around for loot, items and plants. It pays to take your time as I found plants and some Iron for crafting plus Gold for buying stuff. There were also a few lootable bodies to provide other items.

You initially end up with three companions who can get in the way a bit when you are searching for "goodies".

I think a more detailed Tutorial would make the game more acessible as there is a fair amount to learn with regard to the tactics of your companions and the niceties of combat. You can bring up a map of the combat area so that you can fight the battles in more detail. For simplicity I just went with the "point and shoot" approach and left my companions to their own (default) devices.

I have just finished he first couple of missions and using the response wheel (like Mass Effect) made a decision (that one of the party slightly disapproved of) for how to proceed to the next area of interest.

On my initial findings I may have to invest in the Strategy Guide for some help with the intricacies of the game!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Are you playing on hard or normal? I'd be interested to know the difference as I've read you can breeze through with AI on auto-pilot on normal, and I'd be up for some extra tactical challenge if it's worth it.

Comment

I'm after impressions on the pC version, specifically on setting up companion tactics, even more specifically can you do things like this (from DA:O)?:

Comment

Soooo tempted to purchase this on Origin today.....must RESIST until I read some more comments and opinions from someone playing on PC.

Comment

Will be buying this later for PC, reviews out there seem to say it's decent. Hopefully will have some time over the weekend put a few hours into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            I'm after impressions on the pC version, specifically on setting up companion tactics, even more specifically can you do things like this (from DA:O)?:

You can't do that, from what I've read in reviews. Programming of team AI massively simplified over that FFXII-esque system, although not to the degree of DA2.

Comment

FFS, it didn't need simplifying; it needed fixing and expanding!

Comment

You can still do the tactical cam, and have more control over AI movement and attacking.

Comment

I'll check out the reviews but what I loved about DAO was programming my party and just watching them get on with it rather than micro managing.

Comment

Yeah, the whole gambit system from FF12 was ripped off wholesale for DAO, this hasn't got that (that I can see yet) but it does allow you to manage AI during battle by giving orders or taking direct control.

Play FF12 if you haven't already and that's what you like!!

Comment

So anyone who knows me knows i am a huge fan of the first two games and yes the 2nd one was dumbed down but it still felt alot like the first game.

I have been so hyped for this it's unreal.....got mine yesterday on PS4 and i'm really not feeling it so far.

It feels like Assassins Creed and all these other open world games where they literally throw you onto a huge map, quests and stuff everywhere and it's just going from quest to quest doing little things with fights a long the way. It honestly feels like i have been in the map screen quick travelling and marking quests more than i have played the damn thing...this really doesn't feel like DA at all. Why did they have to make this more like an open world game? The first game did it so perfectly with a good solid few hours of story before you branched out into the world and it always felt like you were on a main quest and you knew what to do, even the 2nd game did that well. This one is 30 mins of story and then they just throw you into a big map full of stuff and it's just all these little bits everywhere....it doesn't feel like i have a main quest at the moment....

Really really hoping it gets a little more story driven later on and a bit more linear, i really hope it's not gonna be map after map of 12 landmarks to find, 20 side quests that lead to nothing and other such collectible and filler content etc.

And yes they have removed tactics for the AI players, it's there but in a very basic form of: AI skills can be set to use all the time, preferable skill or don't use. That's it.

When you level up you just get 1 ability point now, no more skill points, no more perks ( althought i think you get perks later ). They have dumbed some stuff down even more than DA2.

Need to play it more....see what happens.
                      Last edited by NeoDragoN; 21-11-2014, 16:09.

Comment

For Brad - there is something resembling the tactics menu from DA:O in this- albeit its a bit cut down, with only around 5 or 6 options.

They are however, similar to the options that appeared in DA:O - such as when you use stamina/mana, when to use potions, and what target to attack.

Comment

I suppose having only played the first game this proved a bit of a change.

I must admit the opening section did not really grab my attention. I went back to Far Cry 4.

Comment

Ok so after the first main map it gets really good That first area is very open and huge, i did what i needed to and moved on and i'm loving it now

Will chime in again after playing it over the weekend!

Comment

Oh dear. Glad I visited the Bioware forum prior to purchasing. It seems all of my worst fears have been realised. Basically it seems they've tried to create some kind of mashed third person Skyrim/party combat game, with the emphasis on manual button mashing combat.

Good bye point and click, good bye tactical combat. Good bye Dragon Age.

Might pick this up on sale in a year or so, unless the PC control issues have been patched in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                              X