Terraria (PS4/Xbox One) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terraria (PS4/Xbox One) review

There are supposedly extra items, pets and NPC's on this. I've not seen anything new yet. The PS4 version makes good use of the Touchpad. You can use it to zoom in on the action.

PS4 version was around 200 Mb and for some reason the Xbox One version is nearer 500 Mb!

I went with the PS4 so that I could download the Vita version for free (for a limited period that wasn't specified). Unfortunately there were no clues as to how to get the free Vita version and the Store only gave it at full price. Eventually decided to download the Trial and hope there was an unlock for the full version for free. On downloading (all 32 Mb of it) I started the game up and there was no option for Unlocking the full game and I was able to save successfully so I am hopeful it is actually the full version.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Not tried this. Is it essentially Minecraft in 2D?

Comment

To an extent it is like Minecraft in 2D. You mine for materials for building and can find chests underground (or on floating islands... in the air) containing useful items. You can get a minio or pet using items that can be found or dropped (I have yet to see which ones are new). Graphically it is, I suppose, 8 bit (on a decent machine).

One thing that is different are the NPC's. They move into houses you build and are unlocked (or found) at various points in the game. There is a Dungeon which has a Boss you can fight and on beating it, the NPC in charge there moves into one of your houses. There are other bosses as well unlocked in various ways (new ones in this version apparently). New NPC's can arrive after some of these Boss battles. There are special events as well, such as Halloween when Pumpkins appear (can be used for making furniture and armour) and enemies can drop a Goodie Bag which might contain something useful. Christmas (of course) has its own NPC who moves in for a couple of weeks or so. All enemies drop money and occasionally an item of use. You can buy stuff from each of the NPC's.

Occasionally tou have a night when there is a Blood Moon when enemies can break down your doors and can attack your NPC's though a new one will respawn if necessary. I try to avoid leaving doors to my NPC's as it saves losing them (temporarily). There are events you can trigger where enemies can appear in your NPC's area, so they are never totally safe.

On checking, the Xbox One version is more expensive than the PS4 version.

Comment

My initial interest in the Vita version waned so quickly I wouldn't touch another version.

Comment

I made a covered walkway up to the floating islands (a fairly good plan). No walls on it but at least it keeps the Harpies at bay! First island chest provided me with a Lucky Horseshoe (no fall damage). The chest in the second island had a Balloon (improved jumping height). The third island chest provide me with a Starfury sword (26 damage compared with the 7 damage or so from your starter sword). I can now start plumbing the depths with a reasonable chance of defeating the stronger denizens there. I may have to check out the dungeon and try to defeat the boss there. It can be done with the Starfury if you make suitable cover... if memory serves me correctly!

Apparently this extra content is also on the 360, PS3 and Vita now which the articles on the game srudiously ignore. The PS4 version does at least get the advantage of the touch pad. There also seem to be issues with the Cross-Play feature. The consoles are on Version 1.2.? at the moment. Not sure which, but I recall the Pumpkin Moon event previouslly. Probably V1.2.2.
          Last edited by Bassman; 20-11-2014, 01:20.

Comment

Working...
          X