No announcement yet.

Far Cry 4 PS4/XBOX ONE review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've so far put over 12 hours into the game. I've not done much in the way of story missions. I've mostly been hunting to increase capacities. I've done a few Bell Towers and Outposts.

Gettting the Rhinos for the wallet proved difficult. Four Rhino Skins for one (very big?) wallet! First I managed to take down with the PKM (admittedly my preferrred hunting weapon). The second got the better of me. Unfortunately the initial Rhino area seemed somewhat devoid of the beasts! I went further afield and found three close together (not helpful from the survival point of view). Fortunately there was a conveniently parked pickup with turret, so no problems.

Tigers also provided a difficult target. I just about managed to survive with the PKM.

Most of the upgrades now seem to be coming from the Kyrat Fashion week quests.

Life can get hectic at times as I was doing a Karma event and then fighting off enemies and missed an Outpost attack.

I did the first Propaganda mission and completed it. An enemy turned up and attacked me. I shot with my equipped sidearm (without realising) which just happened to be the Grenade Launcher. No contest!

My favoured weapon arrangement (not having unlocked tha many weapons) is the Grenade launcher as a sidearm, with the PKM, basic Shotgun and basic Sniper Rifle which seems to cover most eventualities.

Money doesn't seem to be much of a problem as I have over a million at the moment though there are some signatures I haven't bought.

Comment

I loved FC3 on PC; but found the XB360 version was limiting. I like to stealth snipe for distances and collect the loot afterwards, this was not so easy on XB360 as the corpses disappeared and the view distance was limited. I believe FC4 on PS4 is the same graphical level as FC3 on PC "Max" settings 1080p. For console only gamers, have you noticed the leap from previous generation? Are view distances and open world persistance markedly improved?

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
        I loved FC3 on PC; but found the XB360 version was limiting. I like to stealth snipe for distances and collect the loot afterwards, this was not so easy on XB360 as the corpses disappeared and the view distance was limited. I believe FC4 on PS4 is the same graphical level as FC3 on PC "Max" settings 1080p. For console only gamers, have you noticed the leap from previous generation? Are view distances and open world persistance markedly improved?
        I haven't played it yet, as I'm getting it for Christmas- but from the stream on Live from Playstation, it certainly looks much improved in terms of graphics and draw distance.

Comment

I have now got into the habit of saving regularly (especially if I get an upgrade) as the game will revert to the last save if you die. If anything I now save too often but at least it saves aggravation though I did find I had to resell all the "goodies" I'd collected again on regaining control.

So, I was hunting Bears after getting the Yak Skins I needed only to be attacked by three Yaks in the (supposed) Bear area. The PKM managed to sort the situation out before I died (just!).

The game can get frustrating at times. I'd gone about 10 yards or so from a Safehouse with a view to doing the "Bear Hunt" when I got attacked by Wolves, Dholes and some Royal Guard. Not counting the disposal of a couple of Honey Badgers. Fortunately not all of them at once!

Mostly the wildlife is more of a problem than the Royal Guard, though the Armoured ones can be a pain (as they were in FC3), though maybe not quite so difficult to kill this time around.

i usually seem to be in the middle of a fight for my life when an Outpost gets raided. The karma events sometimes have a tendency to "sort themselves out" before I can get to them as well.

After hijacking those supply trucks it is best to wait for the ammo restock as on occasions I have gone into the Safehouse and found myself buying ammo which was supposedly restocked.

I may have to buy some more weapons as I now have about 1.25 million Rupees in the wallet (with no sign of the Kyrat Fashion Week Quest for the final skin - though I may just be not looking in the right place).

Apparently those Gyrocopters are useful for Bell Towers as they can save you a climb... I need to try that!

Comment

Outposts getting raided doesn't seem to mean anything. After about 6 attacks I couldn't be arsed saving the same one again. It tells you the attack succeeded in the corner but it is still listed as 'Liberated'...so now I never bother. Beating the regions fortress stops them attacking anyway.

I fly everywhere in the copter now too...the map is so vast and the wildlife so aggressive it makes travelling far more relaxing. Plus having the grenade launcher as a sidearm to rain fire down on the enemy is great too

I have hit 49% completion in 20 hours...about 60% of the story missions done...not getting bored yet. Although the races are awful, did the 3 for the trophy and won't do another. Driving under pressure is generally pretty annoying I find.

Comment

Needed a new rucksack and a wallet so invited some of the locals over....

Comment

Haha how did you get so many types in one place?

Comment

It seems that if you are in a goat or deer region, throwing bait down gets you a random predator to appear! I needed 7 snow leopards and the rest sadly were too dangerous to let live...out of shot is a pile of dogs too

Comment

This really isn't an animal lovers game is it?!

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
                      It was a big fish. Massive.
                      Tadpole?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        This really isn't an animal lovers game is it?!
                        PETA have started slamming it via Metacritic user scores / chortle

Comment

I caught an eagle carrying a Yak last night

Comment

I must admit to not minding the driving now I'm on the Classic Controls.

Not sure what my percentage is (around 20% this morning) so have put in around 15 hours or more now. Have been giving Dragon Age Inquisition another go and it is definitely growing on me, other than when my complete party died! I still prefer this though.

Comment

I went into this expecting much the same as FC3...but I'm still surprised at how similar it is to FC3!

Still having fun though. Playing on XBO, looks and runs absolutely fine.

Comment

From what I can tell I'm just under a third of the way through the main missions but I definitely have a ton of bell towers etc to clear as well. It literally is FC3 with some bells and whistles thrown into the mix and a bit of polish. To be honest it didn't need much from the last game to make this great, though I'd be interested to know how well the PS3/360 versions run given how much of a strain FC3 was for those machines. This game looks stunning in places. Not sure if it'll be my GOTY, but it's certainly up there again in the upper ranks so far and a lovely high note to be heading to the end of the year on.

Comment

Working...
                                X