Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos review

For a certain type of person, a generation of consoles only really starts when D3 starts releasing hot budget bangers. Oneechanbara games have been a staple of the publisher's catalogue since the PS2 days with multiple iterations and sequels released on PS2, 360, PS3, PSP and Wii. The series is now on the PS4 and is the first one that could actually be considered good.

The game is a sequel to the 360/PS3 Oneechanbara Kagura and all four of the girls are playable in most levels. They each have their own weapons and fighting styles and at least Kagura and her friend Saya can transform into demons. Maybe Aya and Saki will get that ability later as well.

The combat has always been weak and stiff in previous games but this one is fast an fluid and appears to have a lot of options in. You have the traditional light and heavy attack along with weapon switching and secondary weapon attacks. You have a dodge that will lead into a counter attack when timed right. Dodging and jumping can also be used for air recovery and air combos can travel horizontally and appear to hit pretty hard.

As you fight you collect blood and when your blood meter is full Aya and Saki immediately enter a rage mode which consumes their health but increases their damage output until the meter drains. Kagura and Saya store their blood and can unleash their DD demon mode. The trick here is to switch between characters that are low on health and let the others regenerate, balancing four characters and their respective meters.

Graphically it swings between 360 and PS2 but runs at a decent framerate and resolution on the PS4. It is a far cry from Bayonetta 2 but I really like the low poly, repeating texture look of PS2 games so it's fine by me. The characters are where the attention has been given and they look good in a slightly doll-like anime way. They are of course grotesquely sexualised and trashy. DLC and other costume options exist to have them completely naked except for paint splats or bits of fruit covering their bits. To me it doesn't feel creepy, it just feels trashy and gross.

This is the first Oneechanbara I'm paid over the odds to import and will actually complete. It isn't great but if you like quirky/odd/slightly iffy Japanese games or are lusting after a character action game, it might be worth picking up.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Only played a few levels so far but I'd add that the soundtrack is awesome...trashy 90s arcade style tracks!

Comment

Also....the gamefaqs board is a big help for once...
      For Onechanbara Z2: Chaos on the PlayStation 4, GameFAQs presents a message board for game discussion and help.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I had taken screenshots to post here for menu translations but Gamefaqs has them.

Controls:

Originally posted by Sakugen
        Square- Weak attack
        Triangle- Strong attack
        X- Jump
        X (hold)- Chase
        O- Sub weapon attack
        D-pad Up/Down- Change character
        D-pad Left/Right- Change vamp skill/ecstasy combo
        L1- Reload (clean weapon)
        L2- Change weapon
        L3- Switch lock-on target
        R1- Lock on
        R2- Evade
        R2 (hold)- Dash
        R3- Camera reset
        Left stick- Move
        Right stick- Camera
        Options button- Pause menu

L3+R3- Transform
        Square+X- Blood Recovery (Kagura and Saaya only)
        Square+X- Stomp attack (against floored/small enemies)
        Triangle+O- Vamp skill/ecstasy combo
        Touchpad- QTEs
        Touchpad button- Cross Merge Combo
        Quests:

1: Combo kill enemies. (3000 times)
        2: Obtain all weapons/rings.
        3: Learn all moves for Kagura, Saaya, Aya, and Saki.
        4: Defeat enemies in the air. (1000 enemies)
        5: Defeat enemies with slash type attacks. (1500 enemies)
        6: Defeat enemies with impact type attacks. (1500 enemies)
        7: Defeat enemies with Aya's knife sub weapon or Saki's counter. (500 enemies)
        8: Transform with DeaDrive or Vo-ga. (100 times)
        9: Gather yellow orbs. (500,000)
        10: Obtain all accessories(excluding DLC). (do other quests and missions on Medium/Hard)
        11: Get 500 hit combos. (30 times)
        12: Examine all of the goddess statues in Story Mode.
        13: In the results, get V ranks. (100 times)
        14: With Aya or Saki, perform Ecstasy Combinations. (100 times)
        15: With Kagura or Saaya, perform Ecstasy Combinations(Vamp Skills). (100 times)
        16: Defeat enemies while transformed with DeaDrive with Kagura or Saaya. (1000 enemies)
        17: Defeat enemies while transformed with Vo-ga with Aya or Saki. (1000 enemies)
        18: Call Kagura or Aya through Cross Merge Combination. (150 times)
        19: Call Saaya or Saki through Cross Merge Combination. (150 times)
        20: Defeat enemies with Cross Merge Combination. (2000 enemies)
        21: Perform air dodges. (500 times)
        22: Perform chases. (500 times)
        23: Perform the last hit of ground Cool Combinations with main/secondary weapons. (50 times)
        24: Defeat enemies by stomping on them. (100 enemies)
        25: Defeat bosses. (100 bosses)
        26: Defeat enemies. (10,000 enemies)
        27: Clear locked areas without taking damage. (50 times)
        28: Defeat enemies by launching them out of bounds. (300 enemies)
        29: Defeat bosses without taking damage. (50 bosses)
        30: Spin enemies. (1000 times)
        Ring menu:

Red: Increases attack power.
        Green: Increases defense.
        Light blue: Increases movement speed.
        Light green: Increases effectiveness(I-frames?) of evades.
        Pink: Decreases bloodiness of main/secondary weapons.
        White/gray: Increases effectiveness of thrown weapons.
        Light blue: Increases droprate of items.
        Purple: Decreases difficulty of performing Cool Combinations.
        Blue: Increases experience gained from yellow orbs.
        Yellow: Increases droprate of blood crystals(red orbs).
        Light Purple: Absorb health when attacking enemies.
        Gold+Red: Infinite berserk/transform(with health drain).
        Gold+Yellow: Infinite berserk/transform(no health drain).

For items, going left-right, top-bottom...

Cure Gem: Recovers health.
        Power Gem: Increases attack power for a short time.
        Rapid Gem: Increases speed for a short time.
        Necklace thing: Provides invincibility for a short time.
        Recovery Gem: Automatically recovers full health once when KO'd.
        Goddess statue fragment: Decreases berserk gauge.
        Mudman heart: Increases berserk gauge. Recovers health when transformed.
        Chaos Gem: Increases max health.

Comment

SHould anyone be interested in seeing it, the first parts of my playthrough are on Youtube.

Comment

Played some more last night. Really enjoying it. Too fast and messy to properly learn like a Platinum game but still really enjoyable if you want a B movie action game. The level art really is PS2 quality in most places but I like it. Some of the boss fights are quite surprising too but I won't spoil them.

Comment

Finished this last night. Great fun all the way through but it is a little short. There is a mission mode which I'm going to go through since it's pretty enjoyable.

Good fun arcadey slasher and one of my favourites of the year!

Comment

Are you selling? if so, give me a shout.

Comment

Fraid not, going to play through the other difficulties after I complete some other games. It's about ?35 on nin nin if that helps?

Comment

Fancy grabbing this, but before I do is there a chance of am English release if I hold off??

Comment

No idea I'm afraid. I haven't seen it mentioned by any of the usual localisers.

Comment

fair enough, import it is!

Comment

Pukka! Just took the plunge.

Hope the Japanese barrier isn't too much of an obstacle.

Comment

Not at all, just follow the translations posted above and you'll be golden. There is also a good thread on the Playstation trophies site that translates the mission objectives in the mission mode that is separate from the story.

Comment

Game was GREAT. Just finished on normal and going through the harder difficulty for a quick trophy.

Not sure if I will do all the mission challenges, but definitely enjoyed it. I thought it was gonna feel really cheap but suprising it's not bad at all - and although it's not a AAA title, it's so much fun!

Anyone that knows the sort of games D3 release should understand the level of polish here.

Thanks Chopemon =P

Comment

Working...
                              X