Talk to me about the new(er) dreamcast shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about the new(er) dreamcast shooters

I was looking at the slightly small Jpn DC collection the other day & I realised I am currently Sans Shmups so I've decided I need to rectify that.

Now I'm well aware of the classics but I have little to no experience of anything post Trigger Heart / Under Defeat so I'm after any info & advice on which of the recent batch are worth investing in.

Sturmwind is by all accounts a must but what of everything else?

There seems to be quite a few so not sure which one's are good & which are poop

Ta in advance

Neil

Sturmwind is something I won't buy, but it seems I'm one of the few not liking it.

Comment

Strumwind is excellent - the rest are abit rubbish.....

Comment

I loved Under Defeat and I am no big shooter fan, check my review - http://www.dcgaga.com/2014/10/under-defeat.html

Otherwise, you might want to check out either of the Milestone games, Radirgy or Karous. Border Down is considered one of the best on the system and as a result its price is continiously rising.

Comment

For me, Sturmwind has been worth buying another DC for, I absolutely love it.

On the other hand, al the others like Radirgy, Border Down etc, utter dross.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            Strumwind is excellent - the rest are abit rubbish.....
            Yeah I spent yesterday watching some You Tube vids are some look really poor but a couple of them did look like they were worth investigating

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
            I loved Under Defeat and I am no big shooter fan, check my review - http://www.dcgaga.com/2014/10/under-defeat.html

Otherwise, you might want to check out either of the Milestone games, Radirgy or Karous. Border Down is considered one of the best on the system and as a result its price is continiously rising.
            I had UD on the PS3 & didn't really enjoy it.
            I had the Milestone collection as well for the Wii & felt they were mostly over rated as well.
            BD had always been on my radar but as you said the cost makes it one I'll just keep on missing

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            For me, Sturmwind has been worth buying another DC for, I absolutely love it.

On the other hand, al the others like Radirgy, Border Down etc, utter dross.
            Lol right if Colin likes it, it's definitely one to get.

I think I'll have another go through the vids on the Tube & see if any others do strike me as musts but I'm not sure & I'll just put the cash from those to maybe something like Twinkle Star Sprites instead

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated

Neil

Comment

Once you fully get to grips with Sturmwinds weapons system it plays a dream, until you do it might seem very average. Not that it's overly complicated, but it has lots of nice little touches as far as directional fire is concerned. The only DC shmup I like more than it is Zero Gunner 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Once you fully get to grips with Sturmwinds weapons system it plays a dream, until you do it might seem very average. Not that it's overly complicated, but it has lots of nice little touches as far as directional fire is concerned. The only DC shmup I like more than it is Zero Gunner 2.
                I never played Gunner 2 & I had been looking at it on Ebay but seems to be too far north of what I consider reasonable money these days.

Will have a look for Sturmwind after payday & I've done my Chrimbo shopping.

Neil

Comment

Neil if you can somehow stretch ZG2 blows it out of the water, one of my faves as well.

Comment

I remember buying ZG2 When it came out. Buy it mate. I bought Border Down from Jpn games too when that came out also, That's addictive, with added training options, you can really progress on a single credit playthrough with practise.

Shikigami No Shiro II? A bit back in time so you may of owned that.....if not, its great, starts a bit slow, but you'll need skills stage 3-4 onwards.
                    Soundtrack is lush too

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                      Neil if you can somehow stretch ZG2 blows it out of the water, one of my faves as well.
                      Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
                      I remember buying ZG2 When it came out. Buy it mate. I bought Border Down from Jpn games too when that came out also, That's addictive, with added training options, you can really progress on a single credit playthrough with practise.
                      I'll see if I can stretch to it as well as Strumwind
                      Or I might even skip Strum for a while & get ZG instead

Originally posted by ShadowDancer
                      Shikigami No Shiro II? A bit back in time so you may of owned that.....if not, its great, starts a bit slow, but you'll need skills stage 3-4 onwards.
                      Soundtrack is lush too
                      I think I still have my copy of Shiki 2 on the PS2 so not really needed but I do agree it was pretty good & worth owning.

Neil

Comment

As one of the more off beat shooters you could always try.

Comment

Just buy the most expensive one you can afford and then sell it on after playing to fund the next one. You could probably play them all and not be out of pocket at the end of it if you sold them all again. Or get them jolly roger style.

Under Defeat is probably my favourite. Psyvariar 2 is also great. I hope you don't have the pal shiki 2 - a horrible, horrible port. The DC version looks lovely over VGA, as do the other two mentioned above.

Comment

I think for sheer concept alone Ikaruga is my favourite. Not traditional enough to satisfy the shooter itch of many I assume.

Guess that doesn't fall under "newer" ones though.

Comment

Oh Ikaruga is one of the best, but like you say, not one of the newer games.

Comment

Working...
                              X