Multi region N64!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi region N64!

didn't even know these existed till now.

"50/60hz not a clear concept"?

Might they just have cut up a region free cart and crowbarred it into the unit?

Comment

Well, your N64 is either an NTSC or PAL unit. Considering we all know PAL is awful, I don't see the point of this.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 04-11-2014, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Well, your N64 is either an NTSC or PAL unit. Considering we all know PAL is awful, I don't see the point of this.
        This.

Why'd you'd ever seriously want PAL N64 as an option is a mystery to me. Just convert an NTSC unit to play both US and JPN games.

Comment

I've got an N64 with them at the moment which is getting the multi-region mod done to it. From what I can tell it has NTSC and PAL PIF chips and a bunch of switching chips. No idea how it detects the region of the cart though.

Reason I'm doing it is mainly to open it up and look at it, but also just because.

Comment

Does this force 50hz to 60hz or anything funky and allow RGB on PAL? Or is it just like having 2 N64s in one box?
            Getting a proper RGB chip is the best use of money when it comes to N64s (or maybe this adds that too!)

Comment

This won't add RGB, Otakus-Store has a decent THS7314 amp solution though and also one for PAL N64 too.

You don't need to use another video chip to get good RGB from an N64 either. Amplifying the existing properly is just as good.

Comment

The video and region chips are completely different. I sent in a French model which doesn't require any amplification for RGB. As for spped, it will boot PAL games at 50hz and NTSC games at 60hz.

Comment

A cool mod but why would anyone want to play PAL games? Just get a US/JPN N64 and remove the internal nubs, region free right there.

Comment

For me it's more about seeing what can be done to the console hardware and tinkering about with it. The only reason it would be very useful would be if you had a large collection of PAL games, which I don't anyway.

Comment

Is there even any PAL exclusives perhaps??

Comment

Taz Express is the only one I know of.

Comment

How about optimised PAL games? Is the increased resolution ever worth dropping to 50hz?

Comment

No. Even optimised PAL PS1 games like Wipeout run smooth on NTSC so the tiny resolution difference negates it. Its like like 480 to 1080. The difference is tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              No. Even optimised PAL PS1 games like Wipeout run smooth on NTSC so the tiny resolution difference negates it. Its like like 480 to 1080. The difference is tiny.
                              That doesn't make any sense no matter how many times I read it! If I change smooth to smoother then that makes the first statement make sense but that second one!?

Comment

Working...
                              X