Sunset Overdrive Xbox One review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunset Overdrive Xbox One review

Got the US version today and have been having a little bash through the initial tutorial sections.
    I'd previously played the game at Gamescom and felt pretty underwhelmed by the multiplayer mode, it didn't change my opinion of a game that I wasn't really sure about.

Booting the game up the first thing that strikes you is the style and the image quality, it looks pre rendered at times, despite your own custom character clearly being on screen. It's smooth and crisp and vivid.
    Clearly we are hitting the 2nd generation titles now as it's a huge technical step up from Dead rising 3, which the world is reminiscent of.

The tutorial seems a bit protracted and dragged out, but bit by bit I'm getting new powers and moves and grinding and hanging around is becoming increasingly easier. You spend so much time moving that should you stop moving for any reason it feels really odd.

more as I play more
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I'm hoping this will be the game that sells me an xbox one, so will look forward to in depth updates................

Comment

Had a chance to give this any more play time Bo Selecta'?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        Had a chance to give this any more play time Bo Selecta'?
        I think you are on the verge of xbox one ownership...... ;-)

Comment

Yeah played about 4 hours now.

I wasn't mega impressed by it initially , it's really well made now doubt about it. The game felt a little like it didn't excel at one particular thing but the more I play the more I enjoy it and it grows on me.
          The main story missions seem to be drip feeding mechanics and new moves and abilities which is something that bugs me in open world games, as I like to have the tools to tackle the various objectives and challenges dotted over the map (I must have played 20 hours of assassins creed before they let me sail my boat where I wanted!)

I suspect the main campaign will be relatively short and then I can get on with what I perceive as the real meat of the game; the challenges.
          There are various arcades challenges dotted around the map go you to finish, think the objectives in tiny hawks , collecting things within time limits, scoring high scores with preset moves etc. I really have enjoyed these missions, both getting gold and taking down friends scores.
          The game utilises an action tower defense mode in both certain areas of the campaign but also as s or able chsllenges, it is this mode which also makes up a lot of the multiplayer too, I've been really enjoying doing these too and hope there are more of them later in the game.
          I touched briefly on the multiplayer which is a mutli stage 8 player version of this, it's absolute chaos and yet again confirms that the dedicated servers of the new consoles are actually a defining feature of this gen as they never skip a beat.

I think these things have been said previously but the game is very reminiscent of Tony Hawks, Jet Set Radio and the recent superhero games like Infamous SS. It also has a huge whiff of Crackdown's graphical stylists with its City. Daub in a chunk of Scott Pilgrim and I'd say that was a good summary of how the game looks and feels.

I would have pegged it as a 7 initially but it's creeping towards an 8 the more I pkay, I'm interested to see what happens as it progresses as it seems to have reviewed far better than my impressions for the most part.

I guess it's nice to have a new IP that is very distinct aesthetically and phonically . The punk Rock dynanic music is kinda cool.
          Last edited by EvilBoris; 30-10-2014, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            think the objectives in tiny hawks
            Never played that one, I'm guessing he would ride those fingerboards.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              I think you are on the verge of xbox one ownership...... ;-)
              I think I would need to look in to what other system exclusive content was available or coming soon first.

Cheers Boris, it all sounds promising enough but I'll maybe hang fire until there are some more opinions thrown in. I nearly went for another game reviewed on the forum recently, only for other opinions to reveal gameplay facets I detest!

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                Never played that one, I'm guessing he would ride those fingerboards.
                No ,it's the new Skylanders game

Comment

Started this last night but haven't got very far if I'm honest. I think I can see what Boris is getting at with regards to the opening of the game. I definitely need to invest some more time in this.

It runs very well, graphically very smooth and vibrant and there are large numbers of enemies on the screen at one time. Fairly easy to do grinding although the initial jumping around isn't always the easiest to land but I think this is something I'll get more used to and better as skills open up. The aiming controls/auto-aim works so well when you're zooming around on the rails.

Love the character customisation options and you can come up with all kinds of creations. My only complaint is that even though there are loads and loads of items to wear, I would love to see even more options. Although I understand you unlock items as you progress.

Looking forward to more of this although I need to get off Forza Horizon 2 first

Comment

Gonna see how I go with this, done the opener and first few missions/challenges and it's alright but not really striking me as anything special or worth the high scores yet. Doesn't help there was a horde mission so quickly but generally it's solid and nice looking enough. It's a change of pace really, see how I go with it tomorrow.

Comment

Still early on here and feel much the same. Pretty much everybody is saying the game only gets going after a few hours though so I'll keep going!

I do like the look and feel (and humour, surprisingly) of the game. I think they've done a really good job there. I just find the missions and content lacking.

Comment

Played an hour or so. Can't get rid of the nagging feeling that it would've been better not having to press X to grind. You've got to aim your jump at a rail anyway, so why not snap to it? It's a bit overwhelming to start with. Feels too fast even when slowing down by aiming. So far the feeling I get from it reminds me a bit of The Club. There's a rhythm to get into but I'm just not there yet.

Comment

Pressing X to grind is essential to the gameplay, often the rails are at multiple levels so the game would never know which one you want.

After about four hours this game just clicked, I think it was during the first boss fight where I was just sitting there with a huge grin on my face. I'd seen that same boss fight several times in the previously released footage, but actually playing it is so much better than expected.

I believe soon after that you unlock the final piece of the gameplay puzzle, and everything Insomniac has done suddenly makes sense. The movement around the city is an absolute joy, and the rest of the gameplay successfully hangs off the back of this. While yes the missions haven't been particularly imaginative, the wrap around that (story, breaking fourth wall etc) are so out there that it doesn't matter as much as it perhaps should.

The game features so many references to pop culture that it will no doubt date itself very quickly, but so what? I'm playing it now and I'm having a great time with it.

Comment

I have just got to the early mission where you help Walter. The game looks superb. I think I am still getting used to the controls. Comparisons with Jet Set Radio seem to be pretty valid (i had the original on the DC).

I had an issue with one of the early missions where you kill the OD's heading for that machine. There were no red dots on the map but the game said find the last OD. I "dashboarded" and the next time I loaded the game the mission was complete!

I seem to be too easily distracted by Borderlands the Pre-Sequel (though seem to be struggling with Deadlift on TVHM).

Comment

The game looks gorgeous but it's gone the way of R&C Q-Force for me in that I really like the world and weapons but the base defense stuff bores me and I can't be bothered to do any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X