No announcement yet.

Youtube's impact on gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've just found the best first play of God Hand, ever.
    I'm in tears watching it.
    "Oh you over here chillin'? F**K YO WHOLE TABLE UP!"

Comment

Just to make it clear about my "Not even alive when it was released" comment. What I meant was these people pick up an old game, play it for 1 hour then talk about it as if they know the entire history. Of course not everyone can know everything but to only play a game for an hour then think your the expert is quite anoying.

One game show I really love is GameSack. Of course Battle of the Ports and Retro Core are great too

Comment

I watch plenty of YouTube channels to get info on games, retro and new. Our resident Yakumo is an excellent example. Others are Game Sack, Metal Jesus Rocks, Pete Dorr, Happy Console Gamer, Adam Koralik, tvandlust and finngamer to name a few.

Any recommendations on good YouTube gaming channels?

I don't have much bad to say. All of my experiences have been positive.

Comment

Faginrs500
          RetroGameTech
          EntertheDojoShow
          The Games Shed
          Retro Gaming

are few i visit now and again.

Comment

the internet in general has had a massive impact on gaming; information, product availability, costs etc, making it as disposable as your packet of Kleenex.

i can remember waiting every month for magazines/fanzines with new screenshots/reviews or tidbits of import goodies; or waiting for shows like bad influence/gamesmaster to reveal some more tasty treats - taking a punt on a game, only to find a rare gem was the best bit; did have a flip side though and you could end up with a ?65 import that was a stinker....

preferred it back then, but there is no going back

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              the internet in general has had a massive impact on gaming; information, product availability, costs etc, making it as disposable as your packet of Kleenex.

i can remember waiting every month for magazines/fanzines with new screenshots/reviews or tidbits of import goodies; or waiting for shows like bad influence/gamesmaster to reveal some more tasty treats - taking a punt on a game, only to find a rare gem was the best bit; did have a flip side though and you could end up with a ?65 import that was a stinker....

preferred it back then, but there is no going back
              totally agree with that, plus nipping down to the local indy shops every other weekend, checking to see if any new games were out. try before you buy.

them were the BEST days of gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                Faginrs500
                RetroGameTech
                EntertheDojoShow
                The Games Shed
                Retro Gaming

are few i visit now and again.
                I'm subscribed to Faginrs500 but he doesn't post regularly. I'll check the rest. RetroGameTech I've watched a bit. Is Faginrs on this board?

Comment

Don't think so. He's on shmups.system11 though.

Comment

totally agree with that, plus nipping down to the local indy shops every other weekend, checking to see if any new games were out. try before you buy.

them were the BEST days of gaming.
                    too right - remember an indie used to straight swap megadrive games for ?5; pick up some really nice jpn imports that way My goodness, thinking back it was 1991.....

remember getting a brand new Steel Empire that way.

Comment

its flooding back, ?5 swaps, ?10 swaps etc, if you wanted to swap a game from the same section it was a fiver, if it was from a better section, it would be a tenner and so on.

bought Turtles in Time from dixons, played at for a week, then popping to the shop and trading it for a brand new Castlevania IV for ?5.

my first megadrive game was Golden Axe 2 (jpn) played it to death for a few weeks, then a game called Undeadline came in the guy knew nothing about it, and put a good (ie cheap) price on it, after a quick play i decided that was the game for me and he offered a straight swap for GA2, i was well happy!

Comment

its flooding back, ?5 swaps, ?10 swaps etc, if you wanted to swap a game from the same section it was a fiver, if it was from a better section, it would be a tenner and so on.

bought Turtles in Time from dixons, played at for a week, then popping to the shop and trading it for a brand new Castlevania IV for ?5.

my first megadrive game was Golden Axe 2 (jpn) played it to death for a few weeks, then a game called Undeadline came in the guy knew nothing about it, and put a good (ie cheap) price on it, after a quick play i decided that was the game for me and he offered a straight swap for GA2, i was well happy!
                        Undeadline was great - a real keeper!

I used to have 3-4 games on the go, which i would keep swapping -

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                          In your case with KOF Battle De Paradise Asura, I would argue that youtube proved very useful, and stopped you buying an incomprehensible clanger!
                          Bear in mind, in no way did I say that I think the current situation is universally worse - just different.

It has stopped me buying retro consoles several times in the past year or two. I've been about to get a Saturn again, but half an hour of looking at videos of Guardian Heroes etc. has usually stopped me.

Comment

Guardian Heroes looks like dog turd. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Guardian Heroes looks like dog turd. Lol
                              I don't agree. I think it's aged better than some 32-bit titles, because the 2D art is quite strong.

I think it also helps that it's still pretty unique - that and the death of scrolling fighters (even the recent revivals, Scott Pilgrim, Castle Crashers and the like look great, but don't play anywhere near as well as Guardian Heroes or Streets of Rage 2).

Comment

I must admit Guardian Heroes does look a little rough but it plays so well and is such a great game in general with some fantastic characters and bosses and memorable music along with multiple routes through the levels and a level up system that works a treat that you end up not caring about the graphics.

Comment

Working...
                                X