Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, agree with the above.

Comment

Sounds like both versions are pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
        Hi Yakumo, when to expect the next retro core?
        Not for another two weeks I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          Tiger Heli is the first game in the series; Twin Cobra is the western name of Kyukyoku Tiger; the third game is Twin Hawk (Daisenpuu in Japan), though "series" is used a bit loosely here. Anyway, another vote for the PC Engine version of Twin Cobra.
          So the second and third games came out on PC Engine (Twin Cobra and Daisenpuu)? Did both come out on the Mega Drive? The PC Engine Software Bible says the CD version of Daisenpuu (Daisenpuu Custom) is inferior to the card version but doesn't say why. Anyone know?

EDIT: Looks like Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 for the PlayStation might be the way to go if arcade perfection is the goal. It has both Tiger Heli and Twin Cobra.

EDIT#2: Are the Flying Shark/Fire Shark games worth checking out?
          Last edited by Jay; 23-10-2014, 08:23.

Comment

Cool will look forward to seeing that...retrocore that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
              So the second and third games came out on PC Engine (Twin Cobra and Daisenpuu)? Did both come out on the Mega Drive? The PC Engine Software Bible says the CD version of Daisenpuu (Daisenpuu Custom) is inferior to the card version but doesn't say why. Anyone know?

EDIT: Looks like Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 for the PlayStation might be the way to go if arcade perfection is the goal. It has both Tiger Heli and Twin Cobra.

EDIT#2: Are the Flying Shark/Fire Shark games worth checking out?
              I remember there being quite a few problems with Daisenpu Custom, worst one is they removed the boss music just using the arranged CD sound track instead and instead of one continuous long stage they split it up into sections on the CD release.. Maybe becaause of loading times, I'm not sure why.. Also I prefer the explosions in the HuCard version, I think they changed the sprites in custom.. some of the bosses look a bit different too..

The HuCard vrsion is definately better than the CD version, MD version is ok too.. but it's not my favourite Toaplan game..

Yes, Fire Shark on the MD is a good port and definately worth checking out, a better game than Daisenpu too, any version

Comment

So Tiger Heli -> Fire Shark -> Daisenpu hu?

Been playing a lot of PCE Tiger Heli this week, inspired by this thread. It's tough.

Comment

Where does Twin Hawk fit in?

Comment

Where does Twin Hawk fit in?
                    Twin Hawk is Daisenpu just the Euro/US name for the same game..

Comment

Now your talking....i personally wouldnt bother with crusty 8/16bit versions, when arcade/near arcade perfect stuff is out there.

Comment

Worthing pier had a version that when you put money in it, it said press "Run button". Was there an arcade conversion of the PCE hardware?

Comment

It may have been a custom set up. There was an arcade in barry island that had parasol stars and I'm pretty sure thwt never come out in arcades.

Comment

Deffo, cvg ran a news article in the day about pc engine hardware being put in jamma cabs. May have been the issue where they review mystic defender.

Comment

Sorry it was Twin Cobra, not twin heli. Just googled it, you are both right!

They took the white Jpn PCEngines and strapped them to a Jamma loom with some customisations to make it work.

Even found one with the same game I was thinking of!

Just shows how AMAZING the little PCE was at the time. Worthing pier didn't use the timer, but the only clue was that you had to press "Run" to start after putting the credit in. I didn't realise the relevance until 15 years later when I got a PCE with games from these boards!
                              Last edited by capcom_suicide; 28-10-2014, 06:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X