No announcement yet.

The Evil Within (All Formats) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished it earlier on 16 hours. Felt like it should have been trimmed for a better experience- lots of what felt like padding. Still enjoyed it though.

Comment

I'm at Chapter 8 now i think and i'm enjoying it a lot. For the most part i stick to my 'not scary' comment, however there's been a few occasions now i've experienced some HOLY s**t moments. Some pretty damn cool, really very well done.

Its the horrible forced scripted moments that bore me. I just dont find them fun or scary or tense. Thankfully they seem to have faded out, past the first chapters - i hope they dont creep back.

Overall though, so far at least, i'm really really enjoying this. REALLY enjoying it. Its fun, intriguing and bloody tense at times. Also incredibly imaginative. I've experienced some amazing scenes so far and i hope it continues. I just hope it doesnt throw many more heavily scripted, on rails scenes.... they arent overall fun or scary....
      Last edited by Adam Stone; 24-10-2014, 21:01.
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Damn right I have, just like everybody else here
        And yet you never played it, only to and then have issues with people saying they had enough of Evil Within despite owning it and have played it .

Yes, to me neither has enough games worth playing to justify buying either
        Bare that in mind though, when people say just the same about the Wii U :P .
        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 25-10-2014, 15:16.

Comment

Adam, glad to hear you're enjoying it matey. Curious to hear how you find it, post Chapter 8....I was fully in love with it until about the chapter 10 point, and then the wheels pretty much fell off for me. Hope you get a bit more out of it than me!

Comment

Just finished this, and gone for a final score of 7. The first half of this is absolutely brilliant, but the second half just lost me completely, and really dragged on. Combine this with some genuinely infuriating retry-retry-retry scenarios where instead of skill you're memorising what the game wants you to do, and it really impacted my enjoyment of the game.

I was really looking forward to replaying this on the new game plus save file, and continuing to pimp my character and gear Last Of Us style, but I think I'll be trading it in tomorrow instead, and re-buying in the future when it's sub ?20 for a replay. Overall I'm left slightly dissapointed, especially after how much i enjoyed the first half of it. The final 5 hours was just not very enjoyable.

So 7/10, with a bargain bucket re-buy plan for the second time in a week! (happened with DriveClub too).

Comment

Just finished Chapter 8, so far I'm enjoying it enough but I'd say its a proper mish mash of nonsensical ideas and sloppy execution. The aspect ratio is literally, just horrific. So often you'll be trying to use stealth and the awful view restriction is hampered by object blocking your vision etc. It's amazing devs are finding it so hard to even meet let alone exceed the standard RE4 set two generations ago. Certainly proof that one big name staff member does not a classic make. I'll definitely continue on to completion but I'd really struggle to go above a 6/10 based on the game so far

Comment

If people here have not read it there is a really well written article in Rock, Paper Shotgun by a guy called Rich Stanton his October review and it is such a great read as well as highlighting obvious and less oblivious things about the game.

On chapter 6 of this now read lots of reviews and opinions here which I agree and disagree with stuff. Really loving it, some real tense moments and like that there are many different mechanics coming up often. Each Chapter is so different to the next. Action and Horror mixed quite well so far. Feel it will get more action orientated as it goes along though for better or worse. Really enjoying the music in the safe rooms cannot get it out of my head. Some of the quiet, quiet, bang parts of Evil Withinb have frustrated me on certain chapters as even with a low volume certain thing are so loud could not comprehend the headphones with this.

Died a lot could not imagine this in hard or nightmare. For people finding Sebastian Castellanos the main character boring have you tried Aiden Pearce in Watch Dogs? Boring, annoying and a husk of a character. At least Evil Within's main character barely speaks.
                Last edited by JU!; 31-10-2014, 20:00.

Comment

I agree about Aiden Pearce... and to be honest A LOT of game characters. I like how Sebastian doesn't say much - it helps me fill in the details. Makes me think about Dead Space, and how i found Isaac fascinating in the first game - where he barely spoke and wore a helmet... In dead space 2 and beyond he annoyed the hell out of me...
                  ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I also finished this over the weekend and my views echo a lot of what's already been said.

Before the last couple of chapters its really dragged out and I completely lost interest. For those that feel the same stick with it as it does pick up again!

Overall its been 'OK' and the best way I can describe it is that it has 'scratched an itch'.

Its a 6 from me!

Comment

Just got started but the stealth beginnings with the chainsaw guy just pissed me off and I gave up. If I wanted stealth survival horror I'd play TLOU which I hated.

Comment

The stealth in it is dreadful, it really is. Camera does not support any kind of peek/shoot from cover, lacking stealth indicator (eye open or closed....not really that informative), and enemies occasionally spotting you through walls. By the end I was just wading in as much as possible all guns blazing.

Comment

Finally finished this now, there's some heavy padding at the back end. I dunno really, it's mostly alright to go through. The stealth sections are abysmal though and whenever it puts silly restrictions on the player for some chapters it makes it unnecessarily frustrating so sometimes your continuing out of stubborness rather than enjoyment. On PC, once you switch to remove most of the bordering and up the frames it can look quite nice at times. Most critically, this return to survival horror though forgot the horror. Absolutely zero suspense or tense atmosphere. Especially later when the game begins to descend into territory that the reboot Alone in the Dark went into. The game is far too keen to throw OTT action set pieces, gallons of red or waves of enemies to allow you to build a sense of 'what's around the corner'.

So yeah, go in for a simple modern Resi-esque romp and you'll get by enough to eek out enjoyment from it. Other than that you'll maybe find the failings too much to enjoy. It's distinctly average game. If you want a more horror based experience your better off retreading the older Resi's again. Unless you really want to experience atmosphere... in which case your best Youtubing Russ Abbott

Comment

I never really got in to this, mainly as busy with other bits once it came out to be fair. May pick up again cheap next year.

Sold it today for more than I paid for it so all good. Anyway have the PS4 DLC code for Fighting Chance Pack if anyone wants it (PM me).

Comment

Is there much difference between PS4 and XBOne version?...not sure which one to buy

Comment

?25 in tesco at the moment

Comment

Working...
                                X