The Evil Within (All Formats) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It seems that only becase its a Mikami game its getting much good will.
    I think so too. If this were done by a studio trying to do an impression of Mikami and failing pretty hard - which is what it looks and plays like, actually - people probably wouldn't give it the time of day.

Comment

4/10 because of some graphics/technical issues (on old hardware no less) and not even finished the game...

Comment

...yes, a below-average 4/10 from me with some 8hrs played (couldn't take another step, sorry, but I think that's a fair screw), and taking into account gameplay and narrative issues too, and yes on old hardware - no less - that has outputted much, much better performances from more demanding games in its distant past.
        Last edited by Golgo; 22-10-2014, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
          4/10 because of some graphics/technical issues (on old hardware no less) and not even finished the game...
          Well at least he's played and owned the game , which is more than what you do when its comes to passing judgement on any PS4 or XBone One game ; Games which you love to slag off and call crap, while not owning the Hardware much less the game in question

Comment

Where have I reviewed any "XBone One" (that's a new one) games and given them scores?

I've said that Ryse looks like sh*t. Which it is. If you haven't noticed, people on the internet and this very forum comment all the time how game X looks bad from a video or pictures without playing them.

Comment

Where have I reviewed any "XBone One" (that's a new one) games and given them scores
              Well you've got more than enough to say about games like Ryse , enough to say that PS4 and XBone have nothing worth playing . Whilst not owning the Hardware much less the games , but then have a go at people who find issues with any games you happen to like and for added inorny then ask people have they played the likes of Hyrule Warriors if they happen to pass any neagative comments on the game....rank hypocrisy .

At least Golgo owned and played the game for a good number of hours , which is a dam sight more than you do with games you love to slag off

Comment

chapter 10...

spider woman chase

....this has single handedly ruined this game for me. It's the most ****ing infuriating scenario I think I've ever played in a video game, and has tarnished the past 10 hours I really enjoyed. This is an utterly miserable experience.

Comment

Well you've got more than enough to say about games like Ryse
                  Damn right I have, just like everybody else here. I've seen Ryse live and it was just as crappy as it always looked like. So I'll keep calling it crap.

enough to say that PS4 and XBone have nothing worth playing . Whilst not owning the Hardware much less the games
                  Yes, to me neither has enough games worth playing to justify buying either. That's my personal opinion.

but then have a go at people who find issues with any games you happen to like
                  I don't have any problems with people criticizing games that I like if they have solid reasoning for it.
                  Last edited by Guts; 23-10-2014, 19:43.

Comment

Just finished it. Credits are rolling now.

Just left totally numb about the whole game. It's not terrible but it's not really very good either.

Thinking back over the game, i can't really remember much about, nothing sticks out as oh man that bit was cool or that bit was amazing.

I liked The Keeper but he didn't really do anything.

Last boss was on rails nonsense.....saved my magnum ammo for nothing.

Story didn't grip me, didn't care for any of the characters, same old weapons from other games, upgrades were basic...

No desire to play it again.

I'm totally gutted to tell you the truth......Mikami has really let me down.
                    Last edited by NeoDragoN; 23-10-2014, 21:51.

Comment

Just started this up on the PC, 1080p isn't displaying right from the off so going to have a look into that but 900p worked fine giving it a very Gears of War vibe to the fonts etc. It's very old school looking and in places a bit more budget than RE4 it feels. Already I get the feeling that it's not going to be an amazing game, definitely no attempt to be scary so far. But early days and next I'm going to crack open the debug menu and see what can be tinkered with to make the experience better. The mega sized letterbox image is the dumbest decision...

Comment

In near the end now after 15 hours- and definately feels like its getting weaker as it goes on. One where a bit of cutting would have done better, and delivered a better game I feel.

Comment

Its a funny one...as even though I'm acutely aware of all the limitations and drawbacks whilst playing, when it hits its stride and is on top form, it's fantastic fun to play. Certain levels (all near the start of the game) stand out as particularly enjoyable experiences, where it seems to hit a sweet spot, and almost feels like my favourite old school survival horror games blended together and remastered in HD.

However, when the wheels come off in places, you really notice it. It bursts your cosy little rose-tinted bubble and leaves you (or me anyway!) utterly annoyed.

I finally managed to get past the chapter 10....scenario.....and it just left such a bad taste in the mouth. Up to Chapter 13 now, and Mr Kirov just nailed it...definitely could have had a level snip.

Comment

I'm all for long games, but I feel this suffers for being overly long. If they trimmed the levels, and kept the set pieces from each in there- it would be a more memorable experience. I live survival horror and appreciate what it's doing, and I'm enjoying it- but right now I feel like I just want it to end.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                              Its a funny one...as even though I'm acutely aware of all the limitations and drawbacks whilst playing, when it hits its stride and is on top form, it's fantastic fun to play. Certain levels (all near the start of the game) stand out as particularly enjoyable experiences, where it seems to hit a sweet spot, and almost feels like my favourite old school survival horror games blended together and remastered in HD.

However, when the wheels come off in places, you really notice it. It bursts your cosy little rose-tinted bubble and leaves you (or me anyway!) utterly annoyed.

I finally managed to get past the chapter 10....scenario.....and it just left such a bad taste in the mouth. Up to Chapter 13 now, and Mr Kirov just nailed it...definitely could have had a level snip.
                              You wait until Chapter 14 for a battle

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                                I'm all for long games, but I feel this suffers for being overly long. If they trimmed the levels, and kept the set pieces from each in there- it would be a more memorable experience. I live survival horror and appreciate what it's doing, and I'm enjoying it- but right now I feel like I just want it to end.
                                I and a few others i know all finished in around 13 hours.....that's not long for a game at all. RE4 took me well into 20 hours on the first play through.

Comment

Working...
                                X