No announcement yet.

The Evil Within (All Formats) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I gave it a bit longer, still think it's dreadful. Oh well never mind eh

Comment

Well just got to Chapter 6 and for me it just gets better and better

Comment

Remote play with Vita came in really useful for this so my son could not see/hear this really enjoying what I have played so far seems a good mix of action, stealth and a bit of gore/horror. Love the way it lets you get used to the mechanics so familiarising myself with these. Atmosphere is really good excited to get to Chapter 3 where it ramps up.

Comment

Looks like this will be cheap very soon if it didn't get to number one in the UK, even more so the fact that Fifa has now been out for 4 weeks.

Releasing it on Tuesday and not getting number one is always a bad sign. Can't help but feel this and Alien Isolation have been relesaed a tad too close together and have taken sales from one another.

I'll pick this up when it hits the ?15-20 mark.

Comment

Today it was this or Aliens for me....

...and up until the very moment of purchasing i thought i'd get Aliens.. but then i caved and bought this :-)

(aliens next month)

And so far i'm liking it a lot. It feels like i'm playing Resident Evil 4.5 - which to me is an awesome thing. It isn't scary in the slightest, but then again, nor was resident evil 4. I didnt buy this to be scared, i bought it because i loved the atmosphere, level design and game flow of Resi 4 and this looked very similar, which it is so far - hence i'm proper chuffed. I like the clunkiness, i like the roughness of the visuals and i like how if an enemy sees me it can shortly mean game over. I dont like the insane popping on environmental assets, but meh. Im playing on 360 so i only have myself to blame for that.

It's dark, bleak, and full of tiny details that reward players like me who want to walk away from the main path and explore a little.

Again, it really definitely is not a scary game - but it can be tense with an awesome atmosphere.... By that i mean the atmosphere pulls me into the world, so much so i become invested in it, i'm intrigued not only in the long-term goals but in the moment to moment gameplay. If i see a hut i want to see whats in it, if i see a corpse on the ground i want to know who it is, if i see a door i want to see what's beyond it... However i dont feel fear if i see an enemy: i feel threatened but not fear - my heart doesn't race while being chased nor do i feel totally exhausted after surviving a stealth section. Just like when playing Resident Evil 4, i found the experience more fun than terrifying, which i dont think is a bad thing.

Im looking forward to aliens to terrify me. Good and proper. With this, i want'd to be sucked into the world and have fun - so far im doing so - hurrah.

The main character is boring, but in some ways i like that. Maybe 'boring' is cruel... He's kinda just is - an almost empty husk to fill a role. In some ways i wish he was wearing a mask, that way his lack of personality and faceless form would allow me to fill his shoes completely. As it stands, i'm following a nobody's intriguing story. And maybe that's okay - I'd rather play as a nobody than a cock with a dumbass personality (like most Ubisoft games...)

So far, enjoying it a lot.
            ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Jesus, if this is anything like Resi 4 then I must give it a go.

Comment

It plays just like Resi 4, but with more if a horror spin. It's definately like a Mikami greatest hits collection- including an explorable old school Resi 1 style mansion to explore

Comment

I'm on Chapter 12 now with no ammo and little health,basically on my arsemight need to start the chapter again.Really enjoyed it right through,chapter 10 was a bastard of a level for me

Comment

Chapter 11 for me now. It's ok. I can't say much more than it's ok.

It's miles from Last of Us and far away from the joys of RE4. It all feels a little hollow still....

Comment

I'm just pleased to hear there's at least 12 chapters! I'm on 7, and it's currently hitting the fan in a big way.

Without wishing to hear any spoilers of any kind, can anyone tell me if theres an equivalent of New Game Plus on this, where after competing it you can re-start the game and continue pimping your attributes?

Comment

Regretfully I've had to give up on this about halfway through, despite trying my utmost to enjoy it. In plodding through I'm reminded at every step how it's depressingly inferior to its main sources (Resi 4 and Silent Hill 2), and wilfully ignorant of more recent innovations in the horror/suspense genre (Dead Space 1, Last of Us). The fun that's to be had here is marred - for me - by the utterly abysmal performance of the game on last-gen, which spoils the immersion. Playing yesterday and it attempted that Uncharted 2 thing of slowing you to walking pace so you can enjoy the amazing scenery, while objects and textures popped into and out of view all around like Deadly Premonition. It was comical. There are so many other clunky aspects, like the terrible companion AI, how you can pass right through enemies on ladders if you're going different ways, the amateurish attempt to maintain tension by having re-animating enemies that need burning and a hero who can only hold a handful of matches (the 'extra match slots' being the most absurd upgrade path ever envisaged in gaming, I'll warrant), and so on. I find it quite sad that Mikami has seen fit to put this out as his directorial swansong. Here is my sadface:
                        Last edited by Golgo; 22-10-2014, 14:23.

Comment

Still can't decide whether or not to pick up this or Alien Isolation for 360. I need a horror fix.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                            I'm just pleased to hear there's at least 12 chapters! I'm on 7, and it's currently hitting the fan in a big way.

Without wishing to hear any spoilers of any kind, can anyone tell me if theres an equivalent of New Game Plus on this, where after competing it you can re-start the game and continue pimping your attributes?
                            Liam on the Two Best Friends Podcast said he liked it more the 2nd time, you get new weapons to upgrade your melee and other stuff. No Mercs mode or anything like that though, hopefully the DLC will sort that out.

I'm hoping to finish it for this weekend, will have a sniff about the NG+ see whats what before i sell it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                              Regretfully I've had to give up on this about halfway through, despite trying my utmost to enjoy it. In plodding through I'm reminded at every step how it's depressingly inferior to its main sources (Resi 4 and Silent Hill 2), and wilfully ignorant of more recent innovations in the horror/suspense genre (Dead Space 1, Last of Us). The fun that's to be had here is marred - for me - by the utterly abysmal performance of the game on last-gen, which spoils the immersion. Playing yesterday and it attempted that Uncharted 2 thing of slowing you to walking pace so you can enjoy the amazing scenery, while objects and textures popped into and out of view all around like Deadly Premonition. It was comical. There are so many other clunky aspects, like the terrible companion AI, how you can pass right through enemies on ladders if you're going different ways, the amateurish attempt to maintain tension by having re-animating enemies that need burning and a hero who can only hold a handful of matches (the 'extra match lots' being the most absurd upgrade path ever envisaged in gaming, I'll warrant), and so on. I find it quite sad that Mikami has seen fit to put this out as his directorial swansong. Here is my sadface:
                              I sort of agree and can't help but thing if this was Capcom , Sonic or a EA game it would be having a much hader time on here due the countless bugs, cheap deaths, pee-poor camera and game controls and laughable AI . It seems that only becase its a Mikami game its getting much good will . I like the game a lot and its clear that Mikami new stuido have some talent (but are still finding their feet) but its nowhere near a polished product like RE 4 or the ealier RE games on the PS . Stil worth getting though imo

Comment

Completed it after a hard battle on Chapter 14
                                Unlocked new game+,two more difficulties and two excellent weapons

Comment

Working...
                                X