DriveClub [PS4] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    I would literally be fascinated to know the story behind it one day as it's clear that something went seriously wrong.
    Likewise, like Colin Moriarty said on IGN, the story behind DC is probably more interesting than the game itself.

I get the overall feeling that it was all a bit of a lie if I'm honest. It feels like the vision for the game was far beyond Evolution, they went balls deep with cringe tastic E3 presentations and built this game up enormously, but rather than scale the game down accordingly, it seems like they just said "Everybody stop working right now, and lets release this". It feels like a cop out, and not professionally stitched together.

They've been asking for feedback from players on their facebook "so we can improve the game", but in all honesty, it feels like such a limited, basic and clunky framework they have in place, it would be like trying to fit a 5 bedroom house in a 1 bedroom flat, it just can't be done.

DC is so strange to talk about, as I really enjoyed the single player campaign for all of the 2 days it took to 100% it. But it just feels wrong...it doesn't feel like a modern game and it always feels limiting. In fact, when it drops to sub ?20 in a matter of weeks, I'd recommend it purely for the single player, and also to experience one of the strangest feeling games I've played in years! It's fascinating.

Comment

I still don't understand how they can release a game in 2014 eleven months late and it's still half finished and missing stuff like:

American cars
      Japanese cars
      driving aids on/off, abs, trac control, driving lines etc
      Tuning/Aero options
      Something beyond a very limited dress up livery editor with only preset options.
      The option to change wheel type

It's truly bizarre.

Comment

I'm still enjoying it based on the fact I get to have hour long blasts now an again. I managed to send a request to the borders down 2 club, but then spent the next 3 minutes in a multiplayer lobby only to get kicked out when the race was allegedly supposed to start.

So again its had another patch that seems to do nothing. They have clearly released this knowing the online play simply didn't work.

Comment

It'd be fascinating to know just what would have released in Dec 2013 as originally planned.
          Last edited by Kron; 17-10-2014, 09:45.

Comment

After putting in a few more hours the initial sheen has worn off very quickly; i couldnt get online at all and the cars seem to handle very samey. Poor car customisation and the damage model is cracks and scrapes. The whole game structure and presentation is a bit confusing at times too. The lack of replays is really bad for a racing game. I did manage to barrel roll a beetle, which was fun :-) and have had a few wow moments with the pretty graphics. I think when the game is fully realised and works properly, it will be very good.

Comment

I think when it's all working it'll still be their weakest release. Despite the odd compulsion to play it through its just fundamentally a poorly made game and well below their own standards. If I was them I'd pull all resources to get the online sorted and then with the exception of the dlc team I'd go back to Motorstorm and play it safe next time as their reputation needs the boost and maybe their confidence after this... Well, as long as they ditched the rubber banding aggressive AI. I don't know how many games they can make without understanding that noone likes this, make it easier going and emphasise replaying tracks etc for progression and longevity.

Comment

Sold my copy this morning. I won't be shocked if they announce it's 100% working later on today as is my luck.

Comment

How much did you get chap? I noticed CEX are doing ?36 in store credit, but GAME do the price match +?1 extra thing I was going to try, potentially meaning ?37. Not too bad...

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    If I was them I'd pull all resources to get the online sorted and then with the exception of the dlc team I'd go back to Motorstorm and play it safe next time as their reputation needs the boost and maybe their confidence after this.
                    Slightly off topic but ultimately they will be at the mercy of what Sony want them to work on next. It looks like prior to DC they released multiple racing games based on two game series which were released regularly during each of the two previous console generations. This suggests to me there might have been an intention for a DC series and therefore sequels quite quickly after the first game. So the interesting thing will be to see what ES and Sony (SCE WS) do next.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
                      How much did you get chap? I noticed CEX are doing ?36 in store credit, but GAME do the price match +?1 extra thing I was going to try, potentially meaning ?37. Not too bad...
                      They will honour it fine, as long as there is a CEX within a mile of the store just call up the CEX listing on your phone and jobs a good 'un. I've done it on loads of software and hardware in the last 12 months never had a problem once. Just as well as GAME trade in prices are worse than awful normally.

Comment

Nice one, yeah they honoured it without any problem, gotta love the GAME crew. Mofo, this has now officially left my possession, so feel free to offer my spot to anyone else if they want it.

I may well be back in the DriveClub universe next year once and it's cheap and/or it's widely updated. In the meantime, hope you guys manage to get stuck into the online stuff.

Comment

Cheap second-hand copy for me in a couple of years will do the trick.

Comment

Sad to see you go Dave, you have now been "kicked from Bordersdown" as the game put it. Sounds like I have sacked you, haha.

Comment

Haha, brutal!

Comment

Well, after some more checking out cars on Time Trials, I have manage to get Bordersdown 2 up to Lv 10. There does seem to be variations in the handling of the cars. I found the Audi A1 a bit more tail happy than the front drive cars.

I decided to try something a bit faster (really only been driving the Hot Hatch so far) and foune the Club Continental V8 a little bit of a shock to the system until I was used to it. I really need to get used to the faster cars. Getting a car up to Lv 5 on the drivers Club seems to give a good boost to the Driver and Club Level. In some respects it is better to do short TIme Trials so that you Level up some of the other accolades.

The advantage of checking out cars on all these Time trials means that I am learning the tracks which helps a lot with braking for the corners.

I still keep coming back to the game. I suppose being free with the console it does represent good value. Still considering paying the ?20 for the Season Pass as it will be my only expenditure on the game and will provide more tracks I think.

I presume everyone downloaded the free Mercedes AMG GT.
                                Last edited by Bassman; 19-10-2014, 02:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X