Soul calibur (DC) appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul calibur (DC) appreciation

Had a rattle at this tonight - boy does it still looks good through vga.....couldnt resist a quick snap on the camera to share :-)

Namco at their finest.
    Last edited by dvdx2; 09-10-2014, 19:07.

Absolutely! I'll never forget seeing it running on the Dreamcast at my local game import store, subsequently making me sell my N64, Saturn and games for a Dreamcast and Soul Calibur.

It blew my socks off, mission battle was excellent too, in that era too, when single player content was generally lacking. Absolute masterpiece.

Comment

Soul Edge is better IMO. Single player Edge Master mode was better and the radius of attacks made gameplay tighter.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        Soul Edge is better IMO. Single player Edge Master mode was better and the radius of attacks made gameplay tighter.
        Soul edge is right up there too! Another stunning piece of software.

Comment

Are the nunchakus censored in this one? Didn't they make it 3-sectioned to avoid being banned back when the BBFC feared enterprising yoof would be making weaponry in their woodwork classes?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Are the nunchakus censored in this one? Didn't they make it 3-sectioned to avoid being banned back when the BBFC feared enterprising yoof would be making weaponry in their woodwork classes?
            Soul Edge/Blade, yes, Calibur, no.

Comment

Lol - i remember making nunchucks and throwing stars in my CDT class (craft design and technology) jez, was that really 30 years ago?

I think the PAL soul blade (soul edge) was censored

Comment

Sweeeet!

I've just got a DC and this is on my "to play" list.

I'll probably only play as erm... Maxi, was it?

Comment

Sweeeet!

I've just got a DC and this is on my "to play" list.

I'll probably only play as erm... Maxi, was it?
                  Nunchucks? Yeah, Maxi.

Comment

Taki is a great character to play with some really nice throws, fast and quick recovery time.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      Taki is a great character to play with some really nice throws, fast and quick recovery time.
                      Yeah the first character I played as, since then though generally a Kilik player until 5 where it was Patroklos. 5 actually had a really good netcode, but lacking in features... Sold poorly I think too...

Comment

Soul Calibur was the first game I ever played that literally sold me a console. One go of it and I was immediately working out hours at my part-time job, pocket money and game trade-ins to afford a Dreamcast.

I'd been a massive fan of fighting games since Virtua Fighter (it will probably surprise people here to know that I was never into them in the 16-bit era; I only got into 2D fighters with SF Alpha 2), and most here who remember the 32-bit era will know what I mean when I say it was very "incremental". Each week, something new came out, some game mastered something else. Graphics shifted massively on a monthly basis, it seemed. Fighting games were no different.

I remember how Virtua Fighter was 3D (wow) and VF2 was so high-res and smooth on the Saturn, but with no lighting and ugly 2D backdrops.
                        Tekken 1&2 had big character rosters, but they were comparatively low-res.
                        Bloody Roar had 3D backgrounds, but its characters were quite blocky and poorly defined.
                        Fighting Vipers on the Saturn was a great game, but visually a bit of a mess.
                        Mace The Dark Age had 3D backdrops but was overall quite poor.
                        Toshinden, Kensei, Fighters Destiny, Ehrgeiz... All did things that made them stand out in some way.

I remember Soul Calibur because it managed to use the DC's power and some very good art design to do it all. High-res, super-smooth, backdrops with 2D and 3D elements, a large character roster (by the standards of the era), the extra modes, the amazing intro... It was the best advert for a genuine quantum leap from a new console that I've ever seen.

I know it wasn't a launch game, but it certainly felt like one in the UK, and comparing the visual jump between something like Soul Calibur and the Saturn's Fighting Vipers (or even Soul Blade) makes the "jump" from Killzone 3 to Killzone-PS4 seem a bit of a joke.

And then shortly after we got DOA2!

I think literally the only bad thing I could ever say about Soul Calibur is that it made Virtua Fighter 3tb seem a bit pointless (though that's partially because Soul Calibur was an amazing improvement on the arcade original, whereas the VF game was a poor port).
                        Last edited by Asura; 09-10-2014, 20:46.

Comment

Best 3d fighter ever for the time i.m.o. If ever a 3d fighter deserved 10/10 for it's time then Soul Calibur was that game. It was the first time i enjoyed a 3D fighter as much as the very best 2d ones. I loved Soul Blade/Edge but felt Calibur bettered it technically & mechanically in every way like introducing 3d backgrounds and the revolutionary eight-way run deepening the strategy of the game and giving the player a sense of freedom that the 1st lacked and having the game running at 60fps compared to it's predecessor's 30fps really made it look that much more special than what had come before in 3d fighters. like Soul Blade i Loved the music especially going to where the wind blows and felt it was amongst the best for 3d fighters.

Iv never took as much interest in a 3d fighter since and had only done so for Soul Blade before that. .
                          Last edited by Sam The Man; 10-10-2014, 07:31.

Comment

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was amazing back in the day and still amazing now. It's funny how Namco went from making such an amazing DC game to the ****e that was Mr. Driller then buggering off back to Sony and their PS2.

I remember cycling arround that city looking in ever game store just to find Soul Calibur. I'd never done that for any game until that day. These days I have a car

Comment

Aahhh. The days when a console would launch with a title you just HAD to have....

Comment

Working...
                              X