Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What game would you play if your life depended on your ability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I have a soft spot for Mario Kart 64 as well, I'd have to go with Double Dash. My flatmate and I would spend days just outdoing each other on time trial - the result being is that we couldn't find anyone willing to play 4 player for more than the odd race.

Comment

Wave Race 64. In my prime, I'd smash anybody on this forum at it - true story. I'd have backed myself to do similar at F-Zero X too if I'm honest.

I was also pretty tasty at the Street Fighter 2 games back in the 90s. Not Alex Valle-esque but I could hold my own.

I also had a run back in the day where I got quite good at competitive Mario Kart DS even though I had a love-hate relationship with it at the time.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 14-10-2014, 21:24.

Comment

Ridge Racer. Just ask Katsu!

Comment

Additionally playing Star Wars Trilogy Arcade at Play Expo made me realise I could quite easily finish that game with a gun to my head, even now. It's only of the only games I play where a 1cc is secondary to getting a good score. There was healthy competition on it in my local arcade back in the old days, although I could only manage to nab second place at Play Expo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
            I'm pretty handy with Dr. Mario but most likely I'd just give up and accept my death considering...

- I'm a girl.
            - I was born in 1990 / Didn't start gaming until 2010/11.
            - I'm pretty insecure and competition stresses me out too much.

Saying that, I could kick your average gamer's ass at Street Fighter 4 or 3rd Strike (probably not many of you guys though) and I have 100%'d Super Mario World and all the Wii/Wii U Super Mario without any problem (only noting that as people say the last levels of Super Mario 3D World are pretty infernal, didn't think so myself really)
            I have to ask, what is your criteria for this? Do you mean the average gamer that has invested some time into these games or an average gamer that has never played them before?

I remember being hugely confident in my Soulcalibur II ability when it was the current title, I'd happily play through any AI on the hardest difficulty with no trouble and felt like nobody could touch me. I'd have said the same for Melee way back when I played it when it was relevant too and I'd be happy to say similar about Tekken 3 at the time in addition.

But then I have to wonder, is there any merit in being better at a game than people you know if you're putting in more time than them.

And then I wonder, is there much point investing a large amount of time into a game to only achieve a middling ability of play?

Playing BlazBlue and Third Strike offline against some of the best players in London (and indeed the UK) has humbled me, I know I'm not good in the grand scheme and I think it is to be considered here.

Anyway, here's a picture from about 10 years ago now of me beating 3 of my friends with 200% stamina at Soulcalibur II 40 - 0. lol

Comment

GameCube wave race I was quite handy at especially using the extreme weather

But goldeneye was my game - sitting in carlingford lough just in the border of Southern/northern Ireland playing 4 player with the detachment of royal marines just gubbing them

Also can still one life splatter house and shinobi and once did rygar
              Last edited by buster_broon; 14-10-2014, 23:14.

Comment

I'd have to go for Chuckie Egg, I used to play that a lot! I'd probably get shot as I'd end up accidentally falling off the lift in level 3

Comment

I honestly can't think of a single game I'm really good at. I've played an awful lot of PSO in my time, but I'm not sure you can really be good at it.

Comment

Super Mario Kart on the Snes but only back in the day, I have not played it in a decade or so now so my skill will have truly been lost...

Failing that, maybe Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

Comment

This thread is depressing.

I'd go with Streets of Rage 1 and/or 2.

Comment

This is a tricky one. The game I'm probably better at than any other is Street Fighter (various versions), but playing SF extensively online more recently taught me that whilst I am pretty good (I managed a 3-1 win/loss ratio over the few thousand games I played), if I had to play for my life, I'd **** a brick.

Comment

Working...
                        X