Bayonetta 2 [WiiU] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayonetta 2 [WiiU] review

I got my copy yesterday and found an hour or two to see what the opening stages are like, so let's get this party started. The good news? The Japanese edition has full English menus, subs, and voices. Set your options like so:

The intro and prologue are pretty heavily cut-scene based, but they're interspersed with action scenes, and still pretty entertaining too, so that's just fine. From the moment go - and even without multiple weapons to switch between - it's still fast, furious, responsive, and completely crazy. The amount going on is often staggering, and it stays silky smooth throughout and feels wonderful. Before you get into the main chapters of the game, there's a lot of set-piece battles which are on a huge scale and obviously designed to impress on a visual basis rather than being a showcase of the combat engine, and they are a wonderful thing to behold, but also presumably not the norm or where you'll be looking for your replay value.

Once you do get into the main part of the game, plenty is familiar. You run about in environments, look for hidden collectables, maybe find a secret portal to a hidden combat challenge, and then progress through 'verses' by beating down hordes of enemies. The basics of combat remain much the same, as do a lot of the basic combos. There's a couple of things that I believe are new (forgive me my sins, Bayo 1 was a long time ago), such as the ability to hold zL which then slows your movement and allows you to press back + an attack for an uppercut-type move. As well as torture attacks, once you've built up enough magic, you can also use Umbran Climax, which sends things truly nuts and makes all of your regular attacks into weave-dealing death swipes - definitely best saved for tougher enemies.

It's still all of the things I loved about the first; fast, fun, tough, over-the-top, and tongue-in-cheek. Really can't wait for some more of you to get on this, and on that note, a pre-emptive disclaimer: posting in this thread about how you'd like a PS4/XB1 version will result in eye-rolling emoticons being used.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

It's bloody criminal that this isn't on PS4/XB1

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post

Comment

It wouldn't have been made at all without Nintendo's funding Golgo.

Nice impressions Fuse, I'm really glad to hear it's as smooth as it looked in videos online. Have you had a chance to try Bayo 1 yet? I'm thinking I'm going to play that through again first.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
          Strokes WiiU

Keep up with the impressions pls, fuse.

Comment

How does it feel with the WiiU pad? And yes, what's the first game like? I never finished it on 360 but I want to.

Comment

Afraid there's not a great deal else I can say right now - haven't tried Bayo 1 yet either

Comment

What about now?

Comment

Where's the taunt button?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    How does it feel with the WiiU pad? And yes, what's the first game like? I never finished it on 360 but I want to.
                    Eh? Not even Normal mode? The game doesn't really take shape until Hard.

By Hard it's not really harder, it's just faster. I think Hard is much easier than Normal due to the more natural tempo of the action.

Comment

Oi! I never said I couldn't finish it! I think I hated my 360 so much that in the end I couldn't bring myself to even switch it on.

Comment

I'd also be interested to know how it plays on the Wii U Gamepad - is the touch screen? Can it be played with the pro controller?

Comment

I'd be more interested to hear if there are Japanese dub options in the English release.

Comment

Some guys playing through on Youtube atm said it feels like iPad mode for the game so pad is the best way to go.

All I've seen so far keeps in spirit with the Bayonetta feel and that's fantastic. At this rate if it sells well enough I'd be happy to see a 3rd game in the series (or maybe even more if they can keep it fresh enough).

Comment

The only freshness it needs each round is in the enemy attack design.

Comment

Working...
                              X