Hyrule Warriors - WiiU review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyrule Warriors - WiiU review

My copy arrived yesterday and i put in a couple of hours.

Hmmmm not sure what to make of this or really what to think. The trailer had me quite excited to play it, and while there are some cool elements(the special moves are brilliant), its kind of like a game where 99% of the development has gone into the visuals and special moves...the rest feels a bit empty.

The bits you'd expect to be decent are all present and correct thanks to the franchise, the music is lovely, and the visuals are nice, the moves are also perfect fitting for the characters, but there is a distinct lack of that nintendo polish for me.

The biggest irritation is the mini map though, i found my self rather fumbling around the levels trying to get to a certain spot. The moving around is quite irritating too, being as you are constantly eyeballing the mini map you stop for a second and then you have to wait for the auto sprint to kick back in.

Many of the trademark items also feel rather superfluous.

So far, despite sounding negative, i'd give it a 6 or possibly 7...but i'll play further and possibly re-evaluate.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Anyone buy the limited edition from Nintendo uk store ? Did you get the ocarina of time free Dlc ?

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
      Anyone buy the limited edition from Nintendo uk store ? Did you get the ocarina of time free Dlc ?
      Is that the costume? I think I got that with my Shopto order.
      Last edited by SUMIRE; 19-09-2014, 12:18.

Comment

Got my copy yesterday too, and I'm pretty much in agreement with you - it's my first Dynasty Warriors game so I didn't know what to expect, but for a game which centres itself around combat, it's really very shallow. The presentation and amount of content is amazing, but the core gameplay just feels a bit dull. The standard enemies do basically nothing, so ploughing through them 30 at a time quickly stops being satisfying (and you can just sprint past/through them nearly always).

I also got really frustrated yesterday because I couldn't find a gold skulltula on the Death Mountain level after two tries. That's my own failing though I think, as they really should be very easy to find (and were on other levels).

Comment

Dont think it was ever really marketed as much more than a dynasty warriors game with a zelda reskin.......

Comment

Yeah it's just called Zelda Musou in Japan.

Originally posted by danstan21
            The standard enemies do basically nothing

Yep, that's Dynasty Warriors!

Comment

Supposedly the game becomes more exciting if you crank the difficulty? Personally I despise the Dynasty Warrior games so will be avoiding this hot garbage. Polygon gave it a 5.5, everyone else seems to have given it a 7 or 8 because of the Zelda stuff I guess?

Might be the most appealing Musou game to date regardless though.

Comment

got my copy today, admittedly only played about a half hour or so, but it's garbage. I hate the Dynasty Warriors games so why I picked this up I don't know... but it's just mundane and lacking in everything.

I'm going to persevere though before giving it a score, but so far 3/10. Rubbish.

Comment

It's good fun in small doses , worth a 7/10 in my opinion .

Comment

Seems more of a fan service type game. Up to now, I would give it a 5/6 out of 10.

Comment

It looks just as good as any other 7/10 out there.

I'll likely skip it. I don't have time for 'good' games, especially not with Bayo2 soon and this Skyrim run which is proving to be insane.

Comment

Musou games are all the same. If you don't like one, you won't like the rest. Similarly, if you've played one, you've played them all. Pretty much why I've skipped this.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                          Musou games are all the same. If you don't like one, you won't like the rest. Similarly, if you've played one, you've played them all. Pretty much why I've skipped this.
                          Yeah, I knew this'd be just like Dynasty Warriors Gundam, except Zelda - i.e. great for Dynasty Warriors fans but not enough like the source material for anyone else.

Comment

I'm really enjoying it, but it is best in small doses. I love the Zelda skin, the return of old favourite characters, the unlockables and incentives, the RPG elements, the different game modes... It's fun. Throwaway, shallow fun, but well designed and well executed.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Musou games. I remember buying the first Gundam Musou when I was out in Tokyo in '07 and regretting it when I got home.

This looks very pretty but I know I won't like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X